3 season sleeping bags - GoLite Adrenaline vs. Marmot Helium vs. ?

Both are available new for ~$300, both are rated roughly the same (20 deg for the GoLite vs. 15 for the Helium).

Looking to replace a 12 year old TNF Snowshoe 0 deg that, while once a great bag, is heavy (4 lbs) and no longer warm due to lots of hard use.

Initial thought was the Marmot (more known brand) but thought it was worth asking here first... Alternatively, if anyone is trying to get rid of a new / lightly used fancy-shmancy bag (WM, FF, etc.) at this price point, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
    John

Mountain hardware Lamina 20, half the price.
    off your knees Louie

I have been using a Helium for a long time now. It is pretty nice and light. I have the membrane version which I really like. I find it to be plenty warm but I do sleep warm in general. I got mine off of geartrade a few years ago and have used it for 4 seasons ranging from backpacking to pitched on Rainier at Muir and Shurman. It is at home in both locations. It is really light and packs down well. Id say go for it. No issues with loft or the zippers.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Mountain hardware Lamina 20, half the price.
    OP is considering 2 pound down bags and you come out and suggest a 3 pound synthetic bag

I went through the same search last year, but was looking to spend less.

I ended up with the REI sub-kilo. It's 750 fill down, 2 lbs, and cost me about $170 on sale. I bought it this summer and still had something like 500 in stock. It's not as high end as FF or WM bags, but pretty nice, especially for the price. The cut is narrow. I'm 6ft, 150lbs and its perfect for me.

The Helium is nice but i think they is a major flaw not having an extra piece around your neck to prevent heat loss. Overall I am happy with the weight and performance when not pushing the temperature rating. I tend to sleep on the cold side but when you doing alpine starts it helps motivate you to get out of the bag at 2 am.

First accent just release a down bag the price is good but i have not taken a look at it in person.

Quote Originally Posted by zackw View Post
    I went through the same search last year, but was looking to spend less.

I ended up with the REI sub-kilo. It's 750 fill down, 2 lbs, and cost me about $170 on sale. I bought it this summer and still had something like 500 in stock. It's not as high end as FF or WM bags, but pretty nice, especially for the price. The cut is narrow. I'm 6ft, 150lbs and its perfect for me.
    Hey JONG fuck, pay attention. No ones cares that you have a +20 bag when the OP is asking about -15 and -20 sleeping bags.

Quote Originally Posted by time2clmb View Post
    Hey JONG fuck, pay attention. No ones cares that you have a +20 bag when the OP is asking about -15 and -20 sleeping bags.
    Call out fail. Those are not -15 or -20 bags.

And no, sleeping bags are not measured in Celcius.

Quote Originally Posted by time2clmb View Post
    -15 and -20? Those are three cold seasons right there.

I think he's looking at the +15 and 20 versions.

[QUOTE][OP is considering 2 pound down bags and you come out and suggest a 3 pound synthetic bag /QUOTE]
    11 ounce difference in the regular. Seemed like the stuffed bags were about the same size. Unless you have a special purpose or are a total weight freak IMHO the synthetic is allot more versatile. Especially at above freezing temps.
    off your knees Louie

I'm a big fan of the Marmot Helium. Their bags are very well constructed, and they just plain work. The helium has a great warm/weight ratio, a fair price, and excellent durability.

I own two other Marmot down bags (Col and Hydrogen) and I'm very happy.

I had a Helium - great bag. Now I'm using a WM Summerlite - love it also. If you want fancy and custom made-to-order consider Nunatek - I had them build me a bag and it's fun choosing your material, how much fill, etc. You communicate directly with the owner.

If you can find a montbell ul ss down hugger #1 I'd snatch it up. I found one in great condition used for 250.00. The stretch is nice so its not too claustrophobic but still hugs you to retain warmth. Its rated for 15+ . As for your specific models, hands down the marmot. But I'm not a fan of the go lite cut. If you can get in each, see what you think in person. The marmot pinnacle is often on gear trade or eBay as well and is a great option
    Last edited by abrown3mtg; 11-06-2012 at 04:04 AM. Reason: typo/autocorrect

WM versalite. Did a lot of research and I can't remember why exactly it seemed to be on top, but it's definitely lighter even though it has has more down then the Helium.

Are you wide or narrow?
    The helium is quite wide (which suits me).
    Don't no about the golite, but the superlite marmots are some of the widest down bags I've found.
    more comparable to the WM alpinelite than the WM superlite

Quote Originally Posted by Bøygen View Post
    Are you wide or narrow?
    The helium is quite wide (which suits me).
    Don't no about the golite, but the superlite marmots are some of the widest down bags I've found.
    more comparable to the WM alpinelite than the WM superlite
    What he said. Marmot makes the nicest bags I've seen that aren't WM and FF, but they are big, which could be good or bad for you. Montbell bags have a great design and price, but their have had complaints of inconsistent amounts of fill.

For three season, go Light! Check out Zpacks. They make custom 800 fill down bags, and the 30 degree weighs less than a pound, for around 300$. Too good to be true? check out the website. I have loved mine, although it should be coupled with a vapor barrior, like most down bags.

Check out the hammock forum. Lots of them are going for kilts so u can grab a great deal.

I bought the Helium in August ($300) and used it on trips to Yosemite and Inyo national forest. To me its very confy and packs pretty small.

Marmot is on sale at BC. Helium at $279 is tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Marmot is on sale at BC. Helium at $279 is tempting.
    Thanks for the tip. I've been meaning to pick up a bag like this and looking for a good one on sale for like..... 2 years. High quality down bags are not cheap.

My helium arrived in the mail from BC.com - the brief inspect-in-the-office-while-in-the-cardboard-box indicates that it's super nice - and they're crediting me the difference b/w the two prices. Plus they're tossing in $25 gift cards w/ orders >$200. $255 for a bag isn't bad.