177 cochise or belafonte 182...

i shouldn't be wanting to get a new set of skis this year...but if the right used set comes along, i very well might.

after a bunch of reading up on both skis....i like them pretty equally, though i've never had a chance to ride either. anyone tried both, and able to give comparisons? i'm short, and mild to moderately muscley (5'7", 150-155lbs), ski aggressively. currently on non-rockered 177 mantras. it's my daily driver, which i also tour with. possibly looking at making the jump to something with rocker. 182 seemed like a good number for the belafontes. too long? and if i had to guess, i'd say 185's in a cochise would be long for me though.

thoughts?

Can't say much except that I'd handled each ski in question and both are boner inspiring. From what I've read, the Bela's wanna point down hill and the cochise's are easier to throw sideways.

I have not skied either of these, but according to the specs, I`d say these both ski quite differently. One is camber with rocker up front, the other just flat in the middle with rocker that is shallow yet long, thus not having the pop of camber, and has tail rocker, albeit very little. haven`t skied either, though, so take it FWIW.
    "Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." -Warren Miller
    Ephesians 4:7

My wife is 5'5"/105lbs and skis the 177 Cochise BUT she is a 99.9th percentile skier. I ski the 185 Cochise but am a lot bigger than you. For stuff like Short Squaw (can't remember the new PC name) and the other tightish stuff at Red the 177 would be the ticket and still go as fast as you want.

I'm 5' 11" and 165 pounds and ski the 185 Cochise. As an aggressive skier I think you might prefer the 185, but on the other hand the tip rocker is pretty subtle and the tail is nearly flat so I don't think the 177 would feel ridiculously short like with an S7 or something. If you're going to mostly rip open bowls then go 185, if you want to be able to maneuver better in the trees and tight spaces, then 177.

Yea I'm thinking 177 is the best bet for the Cochise for me. Don't hit up many open bowls anymore....they all have a million trees where I ski these days.

Thanks for the replies, folks

Not to muddy the waters, but I demoed both the cochise and the kastle bmx 108 at Red last spring. Very similar skis on paper, but I preferred the Kastles and ended up getting a pair over the summer. I found them much more playful and lively in the soft snow/crud than the Blizzard. YMMV as the saying goes.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro83 View Post
    Yea I'm thinking 177 is the best bet for the Cochise for me. Don't hit up many open bowls anymore....they all have a million trees where I ski these days.

Thanks for the replies, folks
    i thought about the bmx's last season. an instructor i knew had a set of kastle's, and i am pretty sure they were bmx 108's. another dude i know used a set of kastle's (fx94?) for his main tele/resort/bc rig. i should really try a set out this season....not entirely attracted to the topsheets or the price of the ski, but they are somewhat on the wish list. thanks for the note!

Which pair doesn't put my truck overweight? Get those. Now that you have boots that don't hate you we'll find some open bowls.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Two very different skis in my opinion. The Bela is a charger and will ski more like the Mantra on hard snow. The Cochise will be more pivoty and much better on soft snow. If you have the Mantra and want a change of pace/soft snow ski, don't get the Belafonte, get the Cochise. If you want a bigger version of the Mantra for all around skiing, and that will perform similarly then I guess the Belafonte would work, although it is a bit of overlap.

Personally, I hate the Blizzards on hard snow but love them on soft or cut up snow. I am on the east coast and despite the buckets of praise the Bonafide gets, I absolutely hated them on hard pack. However, both the Bondfide and Cochise are amazing in soft snow. So fun and easy to maneuver, but stand up at speed.
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

Quote Originally Posted by Smails View Post
    Two very different skis in my opinion. The Bela is a charger and will ski more like the Mantra on hard snow. The Cochise will be more pivoty and much better on soft snow. If you have the Mantra and want a change of pace/soft snow ski, don't get the Belafonte, get the Cochise. If you want a bigger version of the Mantra for all around skiing, and that will perform similarly then I guess the Belafonte would work, although it is a bit of overlap.

Personally, I hate the Blizzards on hard snow but love them on soft or cut up snow. I am on the east coast and despite the buckets of praise the Bonafide gets, I absolutely hated them on hard pack. However, both the Bondfide and Cochise are amazing in soft snow. So fun and easy to maneuver, but stand up at speed.
    +1 for the Cochise then.

I try to avoid skiing in general if it's not soft snow. Maybe that's me getting spoiled, but it's true. I'm looking for a ski that performs well in the loose and deep stuff, in and around the trees.

Don't worry, on western hard pack / groomers the Cochise absolutely rip too.

No hijack intended.....anyone have a comparison between the Cochise with the Gunsmoke....for northern NE softer snow(+ occasional junk of course..LOL).

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    No hijack intended.....anyone have a comparison between the Cochise with the Gunsmoke....for northern NE softer snow(+ occasional junk of course..LOL).
    Hijack indeed. You can repay me for your hijacking by finding me a deal on some used Cochises. Thank you kindly.

...AHAHA,
    Local shop had just one pair of Gunsmokes but no Cochise. The Gunsmokes, after I flexed for 5min on this day (~month ago), went the next day. Needless to say I forgot its flex flavor...

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro83 View Post
    i shouldn't be wanting to get a new set of skis this year...but if the right used set comes along, i very well might.

after a bunch of reading up on both skis....i like them pretty equally, though i've never had a chance to ride either. anyone tried both, and able to give comparisons? i'm short, and mild to moderately muscley (5'7", 150-155lbs), ski aggressively. currently on non-rockered 177 mantras. it's my daily driver, which i also tour with. possibly looking at making the jump to something with rocker. 182 seemed like a good number for the belafontes. too long? and if i had to guess, i'd say 185's in a cochise would be long for me though.

thoughts?

Belafonte vs. Cochise:

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...elafonte-182cm

Quote Originally Posted by JFE24 View Post
    cheers! thanks.