Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    had always thought about the sled and bike approaches, but the scooter is a new one. logistically shuttling 2 people w/ gear could be excitiing. but to just access saddlebag or ellery or upper dana, thats a great idea.

Was looking at making a week long mid april backcountry ski/camping trip to the sierra. Group is thinking on spending a week camped out in little lakes valley. Looking for some insight on snowpack (snowtel sites look thin). Plan is to camp somewhere between Mack lake and Treasure Lake and hopefully ski some good sierra corn. Any feed back from the collective would be much appreciated.

What's going down with the weather? Any Tioga or Ginny reports?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by sgsbet86 View Post
    Was looking at making a week long mid april backcountry ski/camping trip to the sierra. Group is thinking on spending a week camped out in little lakes valley. Looking for some insight on snowpack (snowtel sites look thin). Plan is to camp somewhere between Mack lake and Treasure Lake and hopefully ski some good sierra corn. Any feed back from the collective would be much appreciated.
    Maybe bumping this will spur an actual eastsider to chime in. I'm in Tahoe, we've had recent precip with 8000' snow levels. Camped near Treasure Lakes in May 2010, a much bigger snow year. With cold temps we skied mostly boilerplate with a touch of softening on the rare southish aspects. Given the elevation and timeframe I would guess you're ok as far as coverage in the valley but that is just a guess. With the unsettled weather now and in the forecast, heavy pow and breakable crust may be more likely than corn.

Next year's MVP passes on sale now. Looks like they're doing a payment plan on the regular MVP pass (4 payments), but it's not available for the premium MVP? What's up with that...

Kinda weird the way they worked it this year.

If you are an existing MVP holder and renewed for $679 prior to April 1 you couldn't get on the payment plan either, which probably would have been helpful to a lot of people, me included.

After April 1 for existing MVP you save a big ole' $10 till whatever their cut off date is.

I don't get their rationale there but ultimately it is a business and we have to play by their rules. I always make it worth my while to buy the pass (30 days plus) so i can't bitch and moan to much.

20% bonus on pass cash is a pretty nice offer though.

that's the weird thing..would love to get premium mvp using the payment plan. Then, I've got some money freed up to add some pass cash. As it is, I need to seriously consider whether I can spring for the premium, or if I'll just payment plan the regular MVP.

Thinking of giving Mammoth CS a call and seeing if they'd do it over the phone.

Can anyone up there report on how much snow they got from this last storm. There seems to be more coming, but not very much.

Here is hoping for a miracle April. I know it is a lot to ask, but a guy can dream.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I'm not up there now but the patrol site; http://patrol.mammothmountain.com/St...ormSummary.htm says 4.5 inches on 4/1 which is usually the most accurate reflection of actual snowfall for the mountain as a whole.

Heading up Thursday night and hoping for more but the forecast, like you said, has been showing less and less.

I would say the patrol site is right, but in the upper elevations there was a lot more snow, a good 8" or more at the top.

Skied down low in June and Mammoth the last two days (8k-10k) and we found surprisingly good coverage and soft edge-able snow. Some bigger lines are starting to go down up high though (10k-12k), we’ll see how things turn out after these disturbances that are forecasted for this week-end roll through.

Maybe my dickhead-slacker partner will post up some proof of our exploits soon.....
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Devils Slide Spring Style

I guess since PW7 forgot his camera I will cover his a$$ on this one.

Yeah this was a good idea...

Starting on dirt

A loooong way up

Sh!t show side detour, PW7 playing hide n seek?

Last climb to the top...the hard way

Finally some turns

What next?

Someone get me off the couch, lets go split or ski midweek sometime on the eastside.

Was anyone at Mammoth today? I'm trying to decide whether to head up tomorrow at 4 am or stay here and surf. How is the top, is the wind buffing it up nicely? I know they got some snow recently so I'm hoping the wind is doing it's thing. It would be nice to have an on-mountain report before I decide whether or not to go.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

from the mammoth mini thread, it seems that hutash in on the ground...
    Aggressive in my own mind

Not sure about Mammoth mountain proper but the rest of the area is looking good, just not sure about things softening up with the weather that is forecasted for the weekend.

Some shots from Laurel Canyon today...

Bloody

Da drop

Valentine Cirque
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

No matter the snow conditions AKBruin and I are going to have a fabulous time.
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

I don't have time to post pics right now, but it has been a good week. Skied Sunday on 3.5" new snow under cloudy conditions. Picked up another 4.5 Sunday night, so Monday was fun. I was skiing with my wife, so didn't get up high much, but did all the runs on Lincoln, and knocked a respectable slab of Avi 2.5. Nothing dangerous, but big enough to carry you over the rocks. Fortunately it cracked well enough in front f me that I stayed out of it, and nobody was below. Tuesday and Wednesday warmed significantly, and thing got pretty slushy. Thursday was nasty with trace of wet snow wind and fog. Most of the hill was closed. Today was great. Left the wife and headed up high all day for some reasonably good wind buff. The upper mountain only got an inch or two, at least I never found eight inches, but it blew in the troughs so most of the moguls were gone, but the tops were present and hard ice from the warm days. It was good if you picked and chose your turns. I did all the runs off the top, and some were really good and others a little too firm and wind scoured. Hangers, huevos, WO 1 and P3 were all pretty good. I did one of the head chutes (3?) and found it sweet on the sides and barely edge able in the center. Make for interesting turns over some nasty rocks.

Bottom line- good skiing up high, marginal down low, unless you time it right so it softens enough. Plenty of snow up high, but burning fast down low.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Thanks for the info Hut.

I guess this is a win-win...surf uppers in good ssw or ski nice mammy windbuff. It will probably come down to just how much I want to wake up at 4 am.

Quote Originally Posted by Franz Klammer View Post
    No matter the snow conditions AKBruin and I are going to have a fabulous time.
    ew
    What's that supposed to mean?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Got a couple midweek days of backcountry in last week. Day 1 was checking out conditions near Convict Lake. Ended up skiing Old Mans bowl and hippie chutes.

It was nice when the snow started:

Near the top with Morrison in the background:

Pinner is on the to-do list, maybe if we get more snow next year:

Perfect spring conditions:

Turned right at the bottom and up to Hippie chutes:

it was a little firm on the way up:

But nice on the way down:

Day 2 went up near June Lakes. Ended up going up Devils slide to one of the bowls above Fern Lake. We failed to look at the map and see that we could have taken the summer trail to the snow line and ended up bushwhacking. It was nice getting to the snow:

Found some cold powder near the top:

Best turn of the trip for me:

Rest of the bowl was smooth corn:

Skinned back up to the top of Devils slide from Fern lake:

Down we go, slide also had good conditions:

Thanks for the boot pack up the slide hkyfsh & PowerWhore7
    Last edited by 406; 04-06-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Anyone been further south and have photos or info on coverage in the high country? Shepherds pass, glacier canyon, evolutions, etc?

Sent from my ADR6350 using TGR Forums

Does anyone have free time wens 4/10, thurs 4/11, and/or fri 4/12? Good weather window for an Eastside trip and I am looking for a BC ski partner. I have plans to climb at Clark Canyon and/or Benton Crags sat 4/13 and sun 4/14, you are welcome to join.

Harpo, I might be down, although I am on a splitboard. And climbing sounds fun too

PM incoming, SP.