Talk me into this, please

So my birthday is coming up in early Dec and it's a big one, a really big one. And when I ask my self what I would most like to do, self says "GO BACK TO MAUI AND GO SURFING!" in a really loud voice.

Arg. I've got frequent flier miles for one way, the other would be <$350. I think I can get hooked up with a room at the swanky Westin with my Hawaiian squeeze. That might be unreliable though. I would need to rent a car because there's no good break right there, just sandy tourist beach. I want to surf at Launiupoko and maybe north to Honolua if I'm brave enough and it's small kine. I would get to have an awesome birthday party at the beach with my friends there.

I left all my beach clothes in San Diego, well except bikinis. Don't even have a rash guard.

I'm only working Saturdays w the local kids cause ski season is slow til Christmas. Get there Sunday midday, leave Thursday night for the overnight haul back to the mainland.

Would it be worth it to fly from Colorado to Maui for that short a time?

enable me
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Yes, book it.

I always listen to the voices in my head. If you can work out the logistics, it's only money.

Ya wanna go, go.

Me, I hate short trips and given the amount of pissing around airports require I generally cant justify long flights for short trips. Save time and money then hit a long trip - also I hear there is some surfing closer to home; just a thought.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

get that saturday covered and go for ten days...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

you've already spent too much time thinking about it.

Yes go. It will be a different place than what you saw in summer. The north winter swells are amazing.

Do it. You'll have a great time!

It will be a different place than what you saw in summer
    that was my initial thought too. Tye has the right idea, could turn it into almost 2 weeks in HI. This was a rhetorical question and you just posted to get ideas for your trip, right? Fark, talking about this makes me want to book the trip

I wouldn't mind seeing some big swell, from the shore!

I hear the west side is still small 2-3, which is just right for me.

The Saturday program means a lot to me and I'm a new coach this year, so there's no way I'll bail on it.

But I'm gonna see if I can swing the trip, looking at the expenses right now. Would just love to be in Lahaina on my birthday.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

One general rule I try to keep when traveling for fun is to equal the hours getting there to days spent there. So 10 hours one way equal 10 days there, 4 hours equals 4 days. Found this strategy helps keep things in balance and anything less feels like most time off was spent traveling. Calling in sick, using vacation days or outright lies on not showing up for work is kosher when on the road.

Would love to be in Lahaina on my birthday.
    Go!

... Happy Birthday...

I could never afford to do the two week trip with the hotel, car rental etc
    But by doing 6 months in Maui starting next week, I'll actually be coming out ahead by having renters pay my mortgage and then some! Looking forward to easing into a different pace of living and integrate into a community a bit.

Well I've been looking at the cost and at my bank account and at the larger picture of my expenses. I'm saving to replace my truck and this trip would put me back. Maybe I'll just go to the Van Gogh in Denver and eat lobster and drink champagne instead.

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    I could never afford to do the two week trip with the hotel, car rental etc
    But by doing 6 months in Maui starting next week, I'll actually be coming out ahead by having renters pay my mortgage and then some! Looking forward to easing into a different pace of living and integrate into a community a bit.
    Nice! That was essentially my thinking last summer. Relax and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    Go!

... Happy Birthday...
    Thank you. I guess it's silly, but I still look forward to birthdays. Marking the day of your arrival on the planet makes you feel special.
    Henry David Thoreau