Anybody have experience with cheap prescription sunglasses?

Have any of you guys had cheap prescription sunglasses done, either online or in person somewhere? I want a pair to dedicate to ski use, since the really nice ones I have were expensive enough that I'm paranoid about messing them up, and they're big Oakleys that are still too big to stick in a pocket comfortably when folded. There are places that'll sell you a pair of glasses for like $50 but I'm not sure how crappy they are, I thought maybe somebody here would know more.

You get what you pay for, especially if you're using them in an active setting.
    Gravity. It's the law.

I have a pair of RayBan New Wayfarers I had made at a mall eyeglass store. Polarized lenses, not made by RayBan (would have taken longer). They were pretty cheap during a promo, can't remember how much.

The frames are bomber and the lenses have been good. A couple scratches from sand in crevices while cleaning. I bought them for rafting and they haven't let me down. Driving, skiing, hiking too.

Done it many times and the thing with putting prescription lenses in a cheap frame is your prescription has to be OK in whichever frame you choose or they lenses won't fit so well in the frame ... I have had a lense fall out on a chair lift

Some futuristic frame you like with a lot of curvature might not work so well with your prescription, a dispensing optician can tell you pretty easily what will work

Quote Originally Posted by BigHerm View Post
    I have a pair of RayBan New Wayfarers I had made at a mall eyeglass store. Polarized lenses, not made by RayBan (would have taken longer). They were pretty cheap during a promo, can't remember how much.

The frames are bomber and the lenses have been good. A couple scratches from sand in crevices while cleaning. I bought them for rafting and they haven't let me down. Driving, skiing, hiking too.

This^^ IME the wayfarer frame is classic style, they fit my face, many colors, not too expensive as sunglasses go, very good quality frame is made in italy , they are pretty flat so they take any lense, I like them so much I have 3 pair

Yeah, the Wayfarer isn't a terrible idea. I have an old pair of Ray Ban classic aviators and they sucked because they were way too thick at the edges. My everyday driving glasses are Oakleys and they're a relatively agressive shape but they're way too nice to risk on skis. (I'm honestly more worried about them getting crushed in a pocket than on my face BTW.)

Wayfarers are cheap, tough, and should accomodate reasonably thick prescription lenses, so maybe I'll try them.

I have Wayfarer's with bottle caps installed and they work quite well for athletic uses. They stay on my face pretty well while biking, runnning, ect. I get a little slip off my nose but I think its because the lenses are so thick. I usually do croakies for boating but don't need them otherwise. I'm blind as a bat so even the 'thin' lenses are huge.

How are the Wayfarers in terms of light blocking? One of the other issues that I didn't mention with my Oakleys is that they tilt forward a bit, so the sun shines down the "crack" and into my eyes when the sun's high in the sky. Not an issue with a car roof over my head or a hat on, but could be a problem skiing on a warm day with nothing else on my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Archer View Post
    How are the Wayfarers in terms of light blocking? One of the other issues that I didn't mention with my Oakleys is that they tilt forward a bit, so the sun shines down the "crack" and into my eyes when the sun's high in the sky. Not an issue with a car roof over my head or a hat on, but could be a problem skiing on a warm day with nothing else on my head.
    if pro riders wear them on glaciers then surely they must qualify as glacier glasses

I have a pair of "New Wayfarers" which are shorter than original Wayfarers. There is a little bit of gap between my eyebrows and the frames, but I've never noticed direct sunlight shining through. The frames seal well around my nose and don't allow air through, something I'd be more concerned about than overhead sun.

I have 3 pairs of warby Parker glasses. Very high quality frames, comparable to the expensive frames I used to get.

I have a pair of 'em with dark prescription lenses that work well for skiing in eastern Sierra bright conditions. $150 complete, shipping included. Directly comparable to the $500+ prescription sunglasses I used to get with my insurance.

My GF has tried some of the cheaper options, but quality has been poor.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    I have 3 pairs of warby Parker glasses. Very high quality frames, comparable to the expensive frames I used to get.

I have a pair of 'em with dark prescription lenses that work well for skiing in eastern Sierra bright conditions. $150 complete, shipping included. Directly comparable to the $500+ prescription sunglasses I used to get with my insurance.
    I used Ray Ban sunglasses but I might get rid of them. Mind me asking where you got those from?
    Last edited by Revelation; 11-19-2012 at 08:10 AM.