Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

sunglasses made of glass

it's been a while since i've been able to find a pair of decent sunglasses with real glass lenses. Over the years i've owned Smith and Vaurnet shades with glass lenses that would last forever due to the scratch resistance of the glass lens. synthetic lenses seem to pick up scratches on their fist day of use. the glass ones would tend to last at least a year before showing any sign of wear, I tend to hold onto a pair of shades for 2-3 years, and after even 3-4 MONTHS, plastic lenses begin to show major wear.
    Anyone seen some modern, fairly fashionable/functional specs with quality glass? I see on Vaurnet' s web site that they might have some models that fit the bill, but at $250-$350, they are not really very practical to everyone( me included ).
    Anybody have a recommendation to some flashy, feature riddled, sport friendly glass lenses?

Randolph Engineering. Same ones fighter pilots wear. Lenses are made of mineral glass like a watch crystal. Built tough, too. Pricing isn't terrible, low 100s.

I just wear Oakleys with custom polycarbonate prescription lenses and haven't had any problems with scratching. Admittedly I'm pretty damn careful with them when they're not on, since between the frames and lenses the price was ridiculous.
    Last edited by Max Archer; 10-31-2012 at 01:01 AM.

Ocean waves are the best IMO.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Ray-Ban, man
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Rayban wayfarers are the only frame that fits my face, they are made in italy so great quality and they aren't that expensive compared to a lot of the sunglasses out there

i get them on my HC spending account take the lenses out & put prescription lenses in them ... I got 3pair

you know glass is heavier right?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-31-2012 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Archer View Post
    Randolph Engineering. Same ones fighter pilots wear. Lenses are made of mineral glass like a watch crystal. Built tough, too. Pricing isn't terrible, low 100s.
    I have a pair of these and a few pairs of the nearly identical but cheaper American Optical versions. I can't really tell the difference. Just make sure you order the glass rather than polycarbonate if that's what you want and you go with AO.

Go to your eye Dr.

Seriously. They've been doing this for a while.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Maui Jim on sale at REI when there's a 20% off coupon.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Maui Jim on sale at REI when there's a 20% off coupon.
    +1 for Maui Jim
    go upside down.

Does smith still do glass lens?

Check out Costa del Mar. I've got the Jose 580G for fly fishing. Not only are they scratch resistant, but the optics are amazing. Much better than PC lenses IMHO. Kind of spendy, but worth every penny.
    Last edited by murph; 10-31-2012 at 09:55 AM.

my sailing / yachting friends rave about Mako polarized glass sunglasses.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Does smith still do glass lens?
    They do. It's under their premium optics on the site. I've had the Backdrop for over a year, not a scratch yet and I've used them for everything from fishing to driving, and I'm not careful with them. Dirty or smudged and I just do a quick wipe with a cotton t-shirt. Glass rules unless you need shatter resistance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TGR Forums
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

maui jims are fucking expensive, generaly the price of their stuff is up there

BTW for you old fucks who's arms are getting too short to read anything Maui Jim makes a sunglass you can order from stock with a reading insert like a progressive but way cheaper, a buddy got a pair & really likes them

Take a look at Switch Optics. while they are not glass, the lenses are very good, the designer has a Maui Jim and Revo pedigree. Plus their interchangeable lens design is the best out there.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Learn to take care of your glasses, mind last for years, polycarb or glass.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Smith does make glass, anything you see from them that says Techlite is glass. Most of it is polarized but not all. Electric also does in their Level 3 polarized. Probably gonna be $160 and up for the smith and $180 and up in the Electric.
    Quote Originally Posted by bite me View Post
    Texas is better than Hell? Maybe I'm not familiar enough with Hell, but it would be hard to imagine it being worse than Texas.

A lot of fishing sunglasses are polarized and glass -- check out "Coyote" brand for some decent ones that can be found for cheap at Sierra Trading Post, and even at Big 5 sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I have a pair of these and a few pairs of the nearly identical but cheaper American Optical versions. I can't really tell the difference. Just make sure you order the glass rather than polycarbonate if that's what you want and you go with AO.
    The AO glasses look good. Which lens did you get and is the finish slightly mirrored?

x2 on the Costa Del Mar glasses. I had a pair before some asshat stole them from my car. Hands down the best optics in any glasses I've owned. I miss them dearly since I scored them on SAC for ~$80. No way I can justify the MSRP.

Quote Originally Posted by esseff View Post
    The AO glasses look good. Which lens did you get and is the finish slightly mirrored?
    I have the "True Color Grey Glass" and the "Color Correct Grey Polycarbonate Polarized". I probably prefer the glass pair for their scratch resistance, though the polarization is nice. I see on the website that they have polarized glass. I might go with that for my next pair.

They aren't really mirrored. You can see your reflection in them, but it's not a mirror finish.

I have both the large and the medium frame size. I probably prefer the medium for my normal to slightly above normal-sized head and narrow face, but it's not a big deal either way. If you have a smaller face, I'd go for the small or medium frames (52 or 55mm).

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    Check out Costa del Mar. I've got the Jose 580G for fly fishing. Not only are they scratch resistant, but the optics are amazing. Much better than PC lenses IMHO. Kind of spendy, but worth every penny.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    x2 on the Costa Del Mar glasses. I had a pair before some asshat stole them from my car. Hands down the best optics in any glasses I've owned. I miss them dearly since I scored them on SAC for ~$80. No way I can justify the MSRP.
    Thirded. MSRP on the costa glass is pretty steep but far and away the best glasses I've ever owned. Their 580 polycarb is nice, and cheaper than the glass, but the glass is much nicer in terms of scratch resistance/optics.

Quote Originally Posted by bushman View Post
    Ray-Ban, man
    This. I had a pair for over 20 years, sold them to a friend, and he still uses them.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Had glass lenses just about a year, and a week ago they cracked down the front, I think they got smashed in the back of my truck... anyhow smith has a great warranty but under no circumstance will they replace a lens, I've broken at least 3 pairs of Serpico frames and had them warrantied free, the cracked lens on my Chiefs cost me $70.

x2 on the Maui Jims. They're expensive but last forever. I've had a pair since 2005 and the lenses are still in excellent condition. They have a decent warranty too, they'll fix anything for a reasonable price.