Big Dumps for slackcountry? Or Movement Goliaths drilled twice already.

Was going to add some new Atomic Auto's to the quiver this year, and some Trackers/Guardians to put on a pair of older skis for slackcountry. The skis (Goliaths) I was going to put the "touring bindings" on has a bunch (twice drilled) holes, so started thinking of options.
    I also have a pair of super mint Big Dumps, that I was wondering if they would be any good, or too beastly, to slackcountry off of RMR on?
    The resaon I dont want to put the new (slack country) bindings on the Auto's is because I will most probably use this ski for the resort day in day out, and was thinking a "conventional" binding would be better for this.
    Also, once I pull the bindings off the Goliaths, and line the jig up to see hole placement, this might make my decision easier.
    Just wanted to think what you guys thought of a Big Dump for slackcountry?
    Thanks.

Without skiing either, I would probably go with the Goliaths, aren't they way lighter than Big Dumps? Depends if you care about a crazy heavy setup or not. This is coming from a guy with Dukes on Renegades (and alpine boots), freaking workout to skin with.

Big Dumps are probably one of, if not theeee heaviest skis out there. They're also a lot of effort to ski, but unbelievably stable. I would think Goliaths would be a better bet here.
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Thanks guys, exactly what I figured.
    All along I wanted to run the Goliaths, but saw the Big Dumps all pretty just sitting there.
    Even if I have to move the mount a bit,, hopefully I can avoid the holes on the Goliaths.
    And then there is always inserst!

Hey just wanted to know why you think a "conventional" binding on the autos would be better than the guardians/trackers?

I understand the guardians/trackers will be a little heavier and the stack height is approximately 10mm high than a convential binding, but is there any other drawbacks to the guardian/tracker than weight and stack height?

I ask because weight and stack height (to a certain degree) has not bothered me in the past for front side skiing. I just bought automatics and deciding between guardian/trackers or STH 16.

I have never toured before and was thinking on giving it a try with the guardian/trackers, however I am not willing to compromise on front side performance. From reading the reviews on here it sounds like it will ski just like a conventional binding, with the only compromise being approximately 1cm higher stack height and additional weight, right? Am I not seeing something on why not mount the guardian/trackers to the automatics?

Quote Originally Posted by tlr View Post
    Hey just wanted to know why you think a "conventional" binding on the autos would be better than the guardians/trackers?

I understand the guardians/trackers will be a little heavier and the stack height is approximately 10mm high than a convential binding, but is there any other drawbacks to the guardian/tracker than weight and stack height?

I ask because weight and stack height (to a certain degree) has not bothered me in the past for front side skiing. I just bought automatics and deciding between guardian/trackers or STH 16.

I have never toured before and was thinking on giving it a try with the guardian/trackers, however I am not willing to compromise on front side performance. From reading the reviews on here it sounds like it will ski just like a conventional binding, with the only compromise being approximately 1cm higher stack height and additional weight, right? Am I not seeing something on why not mount the guardian/trackers to the automatics?
    IMO, but hey, who am I, I feel that since they are so new, and have more "moving parts", plus the weight, and my height alreday, a "conventional" binding will be the way FOR ME. I am sure the reliability will be fine, but I know a STH 16 will NOT give me any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispmoto View Post
    IMO, but hey, who am I, I feel that since they are so new, and have more "moving parts", plus the weight, and my height alreday, a "conventional" binding will be the way FOR ME. I am sure the reliability will be fine, but I know a STH 16 will NOT give me any problems.
    Thanks for the explanation on why you are choosing a more conventional binding vs. guardian/trackers... Like you I am confident in a STH16 binding and know I will not have any issues with it. I hate to part from a tried and proven binding, and that is the route I am leaning toward also.

Well, looks like I will have to move the bindings 2.5 cm front or back on the Goliaths to get away from the holes.
    Is this just too much? And should I just mount the new Solly slackcountry bindings on the new Atomic Autos and be done with it?