Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jerr is offline Underwater trapeze artist

Who's using an Ardent tire and why?

I recently wacked an ardent on my front tire and really quite like it, but I'm by no means an expert. I don't see a lot of people talking this up? Am I missing something?

It's on a commercal meta 5.5 and I do a lot of pumping up, down-hilling down. A bit of XC but not so much. Mostly dry-packed surfaces which gets a little dusty on top and a little muddy straight after rain but dries out pretty quick. Some rocky stuff but not much.

Size is 2.4

Any thoughts or better options are appreciated.
    Nine out of ten Jeremy's prefer a warm jacket to a warm day

It sounds like a pretty good choice for your given application. I have one on the rear and like it back there. I prefer the DHF up front for better grip, but I don't mind the back being a bit looser and they roll better than DHFs.

And no you didn't find a secret gold mine, they're quite popular.

Currently running Ardents 29x2.4 front and 29x2.25UST rear. Love the front tire but feel like I could do better for the rear tire choice.

Yeah, they're very popular. Around here in North Van, not so much. I believe the need for side knobs with some integrity and bite (we've got so much off camber, loose, wet, rocky tech) are a necessity and the Ardents side knobs are way too soft.

makes sense. I've been riding Ardents all summer (2.4 front, 2.1 rear), just because they came on my new bike. They've been good, I'd get them again. Trails are 90% dry/dusty/sandy here (Invermere BC), plus a few rocky bits. Everything dries super fast if it rains.

On the weekend I rode a muddy trail for the first time, sliding all over the place with the front esp washing out. Off topic I know, but what's a better tires for wetter trails?

DHF front, Ardent rear is a good combo in the dryer months. DHF front and rear in the wetter ones.

Specialized is doing a solid copy cat job with the Butcher (very DHF like) and Purgatory (very Ardent like). And they come in big wheel sizes — plus mount tubeless very easily.

Anyone running Ardent 2.4's in the front and an Aspen in the rear (XC)?
    Last edited by supermodel159; 10-30-2012 at 02:53 PM.

I hated the Ardent myself. I found that as they wore out, they became the king of drift. The soft center compound just tore off the harder compound under it and soon all I was left with was tiny knobs down the center. I don't understand soft compound down the center of the tire. When it was new it was ok, but as it wore, not so much. I had 2.4 and 2.6 Ardents. Keep in mind, I don't like intermediate knobs on tires. I like my bike to grip as aggressively as possible with it laid over very far. The little intermediate knobs get in the way of having more side knobs and they also ride over small rocks instead of letting those rocks go into the gap between center knobs and side knobs. I want the side knobs to get as deep into the dirt as possible and I believe this is the best way I've found to do that. The only other way I feel knobs can still get to the dirt is to make them a lot taller like the Telonix. Ardents have pretty low knobs to start with. To me they are today's Nevegal.

well I used to run Nevegals, again just because that's what came on my last bike. I find the Ardents about 200% better than Nevegals ever were.
    I'm also running much lower pressures, probably closer to the proper pressure which I guess helps. You can probably tell I take a pretty unscientific approach to tires...

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    Anyone running Ardent 2.4's in the front at an Aspen in the rear (XC)?
    Exactly what I run when I care about rolling resistance over cornering. If I'm riding lift served or plan on pushing the bike in corners I'll do 2.5" DHF/2.4" ardent. The aspen is nice and fast, but the back tire is all over the place at speed.

I like the Ardent in front a lot. It doesn't quite have the grip of a dhf, but I find it very predicable, grippy enough and nice volume.

in the middle of a Norman Rockwell painting
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post
    I hated the Ardent myself. I found that as they wore out, they became the king of drift. The soft center compound just tore off the harder compound under it and soon all I was left with was tiny knobs down the center. I don't understand soft compound down the center of the tire. When it was new it was ok, but as it wore, not so much. I had 2.4 and 2.6 Ardents. Keep in mind, I don't like intermediate knobs on tires. I like my bike to grip as aggressively as possible with it laid over very far. The little intermediate knobs get in the way of having more side knobs and they also ride over small rocks instead of letting those rocks go into the gap between center knobs and side knobs. I want the side knobs to get as deep into the dirt as possible and I believe this is the best way I've found to do that. The only other way I feel knobs can still get to the dirt is to make them a lot taller like the Telonix. Ardents have pretty low knobs to start with. To me they are today's Nevegal.
    exactly. if you don't care about/know how to aggressively lean a bike over and corner, ardents are a great tire. personally, I think they seriously suck. I want a clearing intermediary channel on my tires (not some shitty mini-knob) and big, stiff cornering knobs. Ardents lack both. What I can say for them is that they roll more quickly than lots of other tires. "To me they are today's Nevegal" bingo

Meh, I don't think it's that simple. I hate nevegals and really like the ardents. It's a pretty different profile, nevys are almost totally round with no gaps between shoulder and center knobs. My ardents are pretty square with a definite channel between the center and shoulder knobs. I like to think I can lean a bike and I've lost an edge on my DHFs as man times as I have my Ardents. Both have that vague loss of traction if you don't get to the side knobs quickly. They are softer shouldered, but I wouldn't go comparing them to nevys.

Finstah Guest
    who's using am Ardent tire and why?

Not me, cause I genearlly like bigger side knobs, so I use BBGs if I want a fast rolling tire for drier conditions or High Rollers if I want a little more grip in softer conditions.

But, I would run Ardents over Nevegals any time, any day, in any condition. It's not even fair to compare those tires. Almost a low blow even if you ask me...

Really nothing is more personal than tire choice.

Not comparing tires, comparing owners/buyers

It looks like a DHF is worth a look. Thanks.

Also, I have a 2.4 HR2 on the back at the moment. Is it worth while putting this on the front, and the ardent at the rear?

Quote Originally Posted by jerr View Post
    Also, I have a 2.4 HR2 on the back at the moment. Is it worth while putting this on the front, and the ardent at the rear?
    Yes.

Woo has a really great review on blister about the HR2. Basically any Woo tire review is worth the time. You done get some learnin in them words.

What are people running on wagon wheels? I am running an ardent 2.4 front and a trail king rear. Hate the TK.... gunna put the ardent in the rear and pick up a new front. Any suggestions?

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    What are people running on wagon wheels? I am running an ardent 2.4 front and a trail king rear. Hate the TK.... gunna put the ardent in the rear and pick up a new front. Any suggestions?

sent from the future using my mind powers
    I'm also running an Ardent 2.4 up front with a panaracer rampage in the rear. I've really liked the ardent, works well around here, and hasn't pinched out as often as it probably should have. That said, I'm also looking to try something different, as some others have mentioned it starts to feel a little vague and spooky once you really start leaning the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesN'Cream View Post
    Yes.

Woo has a really great review on blister about the HR2. Basically any Woo tire review is worth the time. You done get some learnin in them words.
    Thanks, that was among the pile of stuff I read.

I'm going to spend a few more days riding the ardent on the front and focus on how it feels, and then put the HR2 up there. Looking forward to it.

Edit: I just re-read KW's report on Blister, done one last ride with ardent:f/HR2:r and have now changed them over, hoping for dry and dusty tomorrow.
    Last edited by jerr; 11-01-2012 at 02:34 AM.

If you're looking for something interesting, I'm experimenting with a Minion DHF 2.5 on the front and a DHR 2.35 on the rear and the setup seems to work really well on dry/tacky trails. Haven't had a chance to run them in any mud, but on hard pack the bike feels well-grounded no matter how hard I lean it over and runs nice and straight through the pebbles. The combo is a bit heavy, and not so fast rolling, but those tires go straight over everything I've put in front of them and they don't spin out while climbing at all. After trying Nevegals (which sucked), Ignitors (grippy, but way too slow rolling), and Mutanos (fast when new, grip goes away fast with low durability, weak sidewalls), I think this is the best all-around, "all-mountain" setup I've found so far.

Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post
    I hated the Ardent myself. I found that as they wore out, they became the king of drift.
    No drift is controllable. What ardents do is akin to an alligator jumping out of the pond and latching onto your testicles. It hurts, you know it's about to hurt a lot more, and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

It looks like a DHF is worth a look. Thanks.

It sure as shit makes more sense than the other way around.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Am I missing something?
    Yes. You are missing the bazillion threads that include discussion of the Ardent on any non-DH biking forum on the internetz. You are missing the power of a search function.

^^I did, as alluded to here...

...was among the pile of stuff I read.
    I'll try to be less vague in the future. Opinions were generally contradictory, nor specifically relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    It sure as shit makes more sense than the other way around.
    Thanks for your input - and review on Blister. I'm excited as hell to play with the HR2 on front, now.
    Last edited by jerr; 11-03-2012 at 03:54 AM.

I bought my bike with Ardent 2.4 front and back. I rode most of the summer on them because they were fairly light and the trails were super dry. However, I learned that speed and chunder got downright dangerous on those things. I hamburgered my knee pretty good launching into some loose chunder and instantly lost the front end on the landing. Not fun. Quickly switched it up to a Minion DHF up front and High roller in the rear.

courtesy of the Ardent
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller