Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Solisunday?

hey guys, this is Lynx, reporting live from casa de treskow...

looks like we (treskow, kristen, myself) will be up there. this will be my first day skiing since i got to UT. We will be up all morning if you want to meet earlier... treskow will be on night crew if you have any questions.

Have fun tomorrow...first powder(ish) day in weeks!

Heads up here from the maggot weather center; it's going to be uber-cold tomorrow at elevation, and pretty windy too...could be an interesting day with the last month of bumps hiding out just sub-surface. Take a face mask, wind chills are going to be way frigid manana...

...if I wasn't sick and sleep-deprived...oh, and working at 1pm... ...I'd be there in a heartbeat...

Originally posted by BobMc
    It's Saturday night and time for the callout. Tresckow, Kristen, MacDaddy, Woodsy, Chester??? Anyone going up tomorrow? I'll be at Eagle at 11.

BobMc
    I'll be out. I'll be looking for you at 11:00. I'll check Powderhorn at 10:00 depending on how the skiing is.

Originally posted by Red Baron
    Have fun tomorrow...first powder(ish) day in weeks!

Heads up here from the maggot weather center; it's going to be uber-cold tomorrow at elevation, and pretty windy too...could be an interesting day with the last month of bumps hiding out just sub-surface. Take a face mask, wind chills are going to be way frigid manana...

...if I wasn't sick and sleep-deprived...oh, and working at 1pm... ...I'd be there in a heartbeat...

I'll be there but I was hoping for Powder day, now Red Baron just jinxed me,

"Nooze to me"or something to that effect
    Last edited by MacDaddy; 01-24-2004 at 11:47 PM.

Tresckow Guest

Get some!

BobMc, put down that controller.

This is a no-excuse Sunday, see ya'll at 11 at eagle.

By the way, it's been nuking all night if you all need any more motivation to come on up.

Yo, MacDaddy...I thought we esablished that it's impossible for me to jinx anything....

Winter is back in the Wasatch!!!

I awoke this morning with plenty of time to make the 11 appointment. First thing I did was check the Solitude website, 8 inches overnight and more forecasted for today! I took my usual dear sweet time getting stuff ready. I left with plenty of time, hit my McDonalds constitutional and headed on my way. Bout a mile past McDonalds I realized I had left my hat and goggles at the house. After returning to the house and leaving again my time was running short.

Halfway to the Cottonwoods I ran out of washer solvent. My mind weighed the possible time stopping would take off my schedule. I proceeded on, attempting to look through a dirty salted windsheild. Luckily the snow began in earnest on the drive up BCC. Soon I was in the clear again.

As I reached the mouth of the canyon the chains/four-wheel-drive lights were on. I watched several fwd cars drive blissfully past it. This little tidbit will have a bearing later on in my story.

It took me a bit longer to get up to Solitude, the traffic was moving a bit slow. Once there I hurridly put on my gear and started poling down to Eagle. As I poled down the traverse MacDaddy hollered at me from his truck. Having just pulled up he deferred for a run or two.

I arrived at Eagle about 5 minutes late. I was worried I would have missed everyone. But, just my luck the Solisunday crew is used to Bob's tardiness, everyone was there waiting for me.

We had a fun crew today. Release was back in town from Arkansas, Tresckow and Kristen were in attendance, and it was a pleasure to meet a maggot I hadn't met before, Lynx.

We all headed up Eagle and had a fun run down Rhapsody. The snow was light, but there was a bottom. You'd sink down into a bit of a crunch. At the bottom of Eagle we hooked up with MacDaddy and headed up to the Summit. The Headwall forest was bottomless, no crunch. The secret of the day seemed to be the trees. Any open area had been a bit windblown.

As usual I had a great time skiing with the Solitude crew. I did miss not having Woodsy there, but I've since received assurances he will be there soon.

Here's a picture taken back in Honeycomb, Tresckow and Release. I know, it's not an exciting action photo, but oh well.

The true fun of the day (being facetious) was the ride down the canyon. I encountered a line waiting to get out of Solitude's parking lot. BCC road was bumper to bumper and barely moving. It took me over an hour to get out of the canyon. I didn't hit the gas the first 2/3's down the canyon. Merely resting my foot on the brake and letting gravity keep me barely moving. The cars were the main culprits of the slowness, crawling down the canyon sliding everywhere.

But, oh well, hell I was skiing. And it was Gooood.

BobMc

hey hey, it was awesome to finally meet and ski with more maggots. give me a couple weeks and i might make the last two runs. it took us an hour and twenty to get down the canyon. the most "exciting" part was the honda civic behind me.....i mean...admitedly i slid once (with AWD and snowtires) but this guy... had to keep my eye on him for the safety of my bumper...not that i could do anything about it.

so since im new to UT....do people just generally not follow the 4x4 and chains required signs?? i saw quite a few cars that didn't look like they had 4 wheel drive...

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    Originally posted by Lynx

so since im new to UT....do people just generally not follow the 4x4 and chains required signs?? i saw quite a few cars that didn't look like they had 4 wheel drive...
    In Utah, most drivers ignore the laws of the road and the current driving conditions. Ignorance or just pure stupidity? All debatable. Welcome to Utah driving.
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations

Originally posted by Lumpy
    In Utah, most drivers ignore the laws of the road and the current driving conditions. Ignorance or just pure stupidity? All debatable. Welcome to Utah driving.
    it's that L.D.S. thing Lack of Driving Skills

Hey Bob where is my rad gnarly pic of the first Decent?

Back home now, but can't wait to get back.

Sunday was a great day for sure. Before meeting at Eagle, I was able to get several untracked runs off of Powderhorn and Summit. It had snowed most of the night dropping about 8" up high. I caught two quick trips up Powderhorn and after my second lift I skied Middle Slope down to the Summit lift. I hit a couple of runs through the Headwall Forest before heading down to the Eagle lift to meet some new maggots.

I skied into Eagle about 10:59 hoping that BobMc or any of the other Solitude crew were not too anxious and had already hit the slopes. After waiting for a few minutes I finally asked another group of waiting skiers if they were waiting on anyone. They said they were and sure enough it was Tresckow, Kristen, and Lynx waiting on BobMc as well. After a few minutes of new maggot bonding (for me) Bob showed up and after one run McDaddy as well. The snow continued to snow most of the day and we found some great runs with enough new snow to cover most of the crunchy stuff from the previous dry spell. The last run down Honeycomb was the best of the day for me with Kristen and I pretty much hitting the same line through shin deep powder.

Monday was another great day this time hooking up with my dauther's snowboard instructor. I bumped into him at the Powderhorn lift on his day off and he offered to take me to some of his favorite lines. Off of Powderhorn we hit Parachute down to the Summit lift. Off of Summit we hiked the ridge above Evergreen to Bomb's Away. I had skied the traverse on Evergreen before, but I had never hiked the ridge. Skiing the entire length of Bomb's Away provided some untracked turns down a 40 - 45 degree slope (my guess) about 30 feet wide.

We hiked the ridge again going all the way to the open bowl. Hiking the ridge you start your decent down the bowl higher than taking the traverse which is well worth the hike. Again some untracked lines.

Solitude may be small, but I find pleasant surprises on every visit.

A couple of more runs with my nuckledragging guide and the morning was over. After spending a day-and-a-half not skiing with my wife, I thought it might be a good idea to take it easy and do some cruising with her enjoying the uncrowded slopes.

I'll be back soon looking for the Solitude crew. Thanks for the pic BobMc.

I'll be awaiting MacDaddy's phone call in the morning. It'll either be Summit at 10 or Eagle at 11.

Hope to see some folks out there.

BobMc

Tresckow Guest

It's on

K and I will be there and we will look for you all at Summit at 10 or Eagle at 11. I have a couple projects for you guys tomorrow, and I promise some will be gotten.

BobMc, remember the GPS software. Thanks

I was awoken at 8:15 by MacDaddy's call, but I just couldn't bring myself to awake. Even when Tresckow called a few minutes later thoughts of sleep were still in my mind.

When I finally awoke about an hour later I once again took my time getting ready. Enough time that I had to bypass my usual McDonalds, so it was skiing on an empty stomach for me.

I got to Eagle within a few minutes of 11 and found Tresckow, Kristen and Lynx there waiting for me. No sign of MacDaddy. After our usual first run down Rhapsody we headed up to the Summit.

Our first run down Summit we headed out the lower traverse to the Scree Slope. There we had a small break outside the "hut." Although the snow is too deep to actually enter the "hut" we found it a peaceful place to take care of some business.

Once properly tuned we proceeded to rip the shit out of most of the mountain. Highlights of the day were nice soft snow through the Headwall Forest, and excursion out to the Boundary Chutes, and a jaunt down Milk Run.

Once again I had a ball skiing with Ned, Kristen and Anne Marie. You guys and gals are the bomb! I briefly saw MacDaddy, but he appeared to have his hands full.

The following are a few shots I snapped today:
    Ned

Kristen

Lynx

BobMc

Tresckow Guest
    Likewise Bob, next Sunday should good time. If anyone is around here this week and wants to tour in/out bounds, drop us a line.

Oh my God! It's puking at my house right now! I've received clearance from the wife and will be raring to go tomorrow morning. (Well, as raring as I ever get.)

Looking forward to seeing a bunch of you out there tomorrow!

Summit at 10 or Eagle at 11.

(Sidenote: Eagle at 11 works best for those with a pass. Ski in/ski out from the car.)

BobMc

bump for the UT MINI Mags

Tresckow Guest

It's On

11 at Eagle works for me. I drove up at 10 tonight and the roads were shyte, which means pow on Sunday. If anyone has any questions, I'm on night crew through Sunday morn. I'll update with road and weather condtions in the morning.

Enjoy the pow tomorrow

Where was everyone? I arrived at Eagle a few minutes after 11. Tresckow showed up a few minutes later. We waited for a while but nobody showed, oh well. I did manage to get a few blank stares when asking strangers for change.

Nonetheless it was a damn fun day again. After a few runs we spotted Spatters. I finally got to ski Cathedral, nice soft snow to be found. I've skied by the entrance many times but have always traversed on. It wasn't as steep as it looks, and you could easily avoid the cliffbands. Big fun!

Tresckow and I called it an early day, Spatters headed up to Fantasy Ridge. I'm hoping he'll contribute a few words on how that was. I took a few cruiser runs off Eagle after I left Ned, keeping my eye out for any other maggots.

Today was the busiest I've seen Solitude all year. The snow was tracked out far faster than usual. But, we still found our own little stashes of untracked.

Sorry to have missed the others,

BobMc

Bob, there were several I talked to yesterday afternoon at the mini who were planning on hooking up with you. I told them to just keep checking on channel 5-13 for you guys.

we were at the summit chair at like 10:02 or something.

we saw spatters at 3.

lotsa fun, but i hardly knew where we were. the honeycomb hideout was cool and we found a bunch of untracked above the catrack that runs around the back.

d
    fine

Another Sunday's roll call. I'm not sure when I'll be up there, but it will be at least by 11.

Ned, give me a call in the morning. I'm not playing video games today (way too much last night) so I should be up early.

Looking forward to seeing the Iceman and anyone else that will be there.

BobMc

I'm in.

Tresckow Guest
    Bob, pm me your # and I'll make sure you get a timely wakeup call.

K and I are in. Release and Ice, you guys want to meet earlier than 11? Say 10 at bottom of Summit?

Can't wait to see Ice tear shit up on his new Spatulas.

Any word on MacDaddy, Boarderline, or Lynx?

Someone bring a phone so we can harrass, I mean recruit, Woodsy for a afternoon session.

Any word on MacDaddy, Boarderline, or Lynx?
    I'll be up the canyon from y'all with Kim at Brighton. Hope you get some at Solitude.
    SELECT IQ
    FROM
    Users
    WHERE
    IQ > 0

0 Row(s) affected.