Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Solisunday?

<Monty Burns>Excellent...</Monty Burns>

Tomorrow may warrant an exploration of the Powderhorn to Summit area. Milk Run, Middle Slope, and Parachute, I noticed them pulling the ropes to this area Thursday late afternoon.

I've avoided this area the last few years, it scares me. I think tomorrow I may have to cure that problem, fear be gone. Of course I'm drunk now, so we'll have to see tomorrow.

See y'all there,

BobMc

Well, no Powderhorn to Summit runs today, they were closed.

It was a good day though, although I flailed about a bit. The snow was pretty variable all day, I probably should have stayed later in hope of it softening up.

The Solitude crew is getting pretty tight. I met MacDaddy in the parking lot at 10:30, we'd both decided to be leisure today. Screwed around a bit in the parking lot (gearing up, etc.), then headed down to Eagle. Just like clockwork Boarderline, Tresckow and Kristin showed up. We waited a bit for Release but no sighting.

A quick ride up Eagle and we headed down to Powderhorn. Boarderline was on skis today and therefore given a hall pass. Powderhorn was definitely crusty, I began my flailing for the day. A quick stop in the trees only made things worse. We spent most of the day on the Summit. Found a few good turns here and there. Made the mistake of traversing/sidestepping all the way out to Scree slope. The snow looked to be good from afar, quite the contrary up close. Heavy consolidated crud, I flailed my way down to the bottom where it softened up into some of the best turns of the day. But, the long traverse was not worth the few good turns.

All in all it was a pretty good day, not one of the best, but oh well. The good company made up for the marginal snow.

Thanks guys,

BobMc

Good to see all y'all up there.

Was a day for me to gape on green groomers today. Skis have not been my normal mode of snow sliding over the last few years so I was curious to see how modern skis stacked up against the straight skis of yore. WOW, is all I can say. The new skis carve arcs like razors and inspire loads of confidence. I demoed some Atomics before moving onto some Salomon X-Screams. The X-Screams held an edge very well on the firm, fast snow and carved very competently. By the end of the day I was linking carved turns and moving at a good clip.

Two edges fun, four edges fun as well!
    SELECT IQ
    FROM
    Users
    WHERE
    IQ > 0

0 Row(s) affected.

Sorry I missed you guys. The Thanksgiving weekend pretty much turned into a total family trip for me. My six year old was sick all week (we found out on Tuesday after Thanksgiving that she had pneumonia). My wife pretty much spent most of her time with the six year old which kept me skiing with my 8 year old and 13 year old. Anyway, I've got several more trips planned so we should get several opportunities to hook up. In Jan., Feb., and April I will have some "adult" trips with "adult" activities planned with just my wife and I so I will have a lot more flexibility.

Tresckow Guest
    Usual suspects I presume?

Originally posted by Tresckow
    Usual suspects I persume?
    Yup, and then some. We looked for you today. It was pretty nice today, the two or so inches really softened it up. (The raging hangover didn't help though)

Tomorrow you can count on Iceman, Truth and Ice's buddy Doug. Woodsy is also scheduled to make an appearance.

Chester? You out there? Call me tomorrow morning.

BobMc

Yes indeed, I am a loser. After skiing yesterday on three hours sleep I went home and melted into my couch. I began drinking beer to ease the pain of a still raging hangover. I ended up drinking beer till 2 am. I must say my hangover was gone at that point.

In lieu of the above activities I didn't get out on the hill until 1. I have to apologize to Ice, Truth, Doug, Tresckow, Kristin, sorry guys.

But anyways, it was freaking sweet out there! I went up with the intention of making five lift rides then going over MacDaddy's house for a football watching session. It was raining like a bastard in the valley. If you ever see the sign on I-215 warning of standing water take heed. I didn't. I was cruising down the highway at about 70 or so when I hit a huge puddle. The truck kinda drifted sideways a bit and finally straightened out. That definitely got my blood pumping.

The rain turned to snow just as I turned up the Big Cottonwood Canyon. I ended up skiing for two hours and making 10 lift rides. The snow just kept coming down and the skiing just kept getting better and better. I lapped Challenger, Serenity and Inspiration the whole time. I don't ski over there much and now wonder why. It also appears not too many people ski over there much. I was able to farm my turns on all three runs. At the most there were three tracks not mine on any one run. The snow was about shin deep and oh so soft. Just enough snow to keep from hitting the bumps underneath.

I hope all the other Solituders had a fun day as well.

BobMc

PS, Truth is an awesome dude, I had a lot of fun hanging with him even though he never actually ended up staying at my place, heh. And as always, Iceman rocks the house.

Chester? You out there? Call me tomorrow morning.
    BobMc
    Sorry I missed you...sounds like it was very nice!

I didn't get anything accomplished Saturday so had to work most of today. Damn Makers at the end of the night kicked my ass.

Hopefully I'll see you guys next weekend.

Tresckow Guest
    I had a report all written up, but somehow I managed to lose it before posting.

The short version:

Snowed all day, no one was here, some was gotten, and I'll be up here all week if anyone wants to tear around. Glad your alright BL, see that's why you have a helmet, right?

Iceman, I was the dude who met up here at 3am. Thanks for the extra effort in getting me the key, I really appreciate it.

Woodsy, hope you get out there tomarrow, as you really deserve it.

Anyone going to be out here, MacDaddy? Bob? BL? Don't hesitate to come up, as it was real good today.

Today was sick. It puked all day today, with more to come. Saw Tresckow and Kristen up there and proceeded to get several runs in of untracked goodness before I bonked my head off an unexpected dropoff, felt a little woozy and had to call it a day.

Feeling better now and I can't wait till tomorrow.
    SELECT IQ
    FROM
    Users
    WHERE
    IQ > 0

0 Row(s) affected.

Tomorrow?

Eagle at 11? Anyone been up lately? How's the snow?

BobMc

Thumbs down

If you like death ice crust, tomarrow should be a great day.

Originally posted by powderwhore
    If you like death ice crust, tomarrow should be a great day.
    Sarcasm (hopefully) or did today suck?

If sarcasm, I'll be at Eagle @ 11.

Thumbs down

Sorry no sarcasm. I only speak the truth, it rained at Alta today.

Don't listen to him, skiing is skiing. Powho is just spoiled.

If you don't come up soon all your wife's work will be for naught. See ya tomorrow.

BobMc

Thumbs up

Eagle @ 11 it is.

Originally posted by powderwhore
    Sorry no sarcasm. I only speak the truth, it rained at Alta today.
    he speaketh the truth. it was shitty. save your money and come up a different day.

BOB? What to do?
    call me
    Points on their own sitting way up high

I'm a guilty loser...I think

With much regret, I have decided not to join Bobmc for his weekly trip up to Solitude today.
    My simple reason to him was "I may work later than I thought" which may be true at this point -I'm still at work and may not get out of here until 12:30, the time I was supposta meet him. But my true reasons lie in the news posted above.
    Living in UT I cannot/ or should not have to deal with bulletproof conditions and I especially detest high winds in those conditions.
    I have posted some readings from the PowderHorn lift station @ 9880 elevation. Not fun.

time / sustained / gusts
    1015 9 28
    1000 17 32
    945 22 34
    930 18 32
    Worst part about being at the resort w/ such strong winds is not the skiing on the bulletproof pack, its actually the lift ride up. in my experience the detachable lifts have a safety switch that stop the lifts when the wind speed reaches a certain speed....not good if your stuck on a chair getting blown

So only Bob will be able call me a pussy or a genius

It’s 12:05 I’m still at work sorry Bob
    Last edited by MacDaddy; 12-14-2003 at 01:14 PM.

Re: I'm a guilty loser...I think

Originally posted by MacDaddy

So only Bob will be able call me a pussy.
    Pussy!

I'm not quite sure where those readings were taken, or what the hell Powho was talking about. It was neither windy nor bulletproof.

I was running a bit late but met Chester at Eagle at 11:05. Quite a fun day, just like most every maggot I've met Chip could hold his own. We had a couple runs through Honeycomb, a few runs down Bomb's Away. Soft snow could still be found. A bit heavy in spots but still in remarkable shape.

Sorry you couldn't make it MacDaddy, but I know how it goes. There's always next week.

BobMc

I'm a smelly pussy

but I will be at Alta tomorrow

Here we go again. Tresckow/Kristin? Boarderline? Woodsy? You still down South here Lumpy? Where you been Red Baron?

I'll try to be at Eagle at 11.

BobMc

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    Bob,
    Woodsy, Altachic, Buzz, 2P and I lovingly caressed the groomed yesterday. Except a few commando forays (quest for the loose) by 2P off powderhorn we were definately groomed run heroes. Fun hooking up and making turns with three outa the four I'd never skied with before.

Taking today off after an evening of mental stress at South Towne Center...I remember why internet x-mas shopping is the shnitt and actual physical gift quests are shitty.

But, if I was a thinking man I would do as Bob does and go nowhere without my little red and white cooler of Busch to ease whatever pain the world levies.

BTW-Paradise is open at Powder.
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations

Wow! What a nice surprise!

I woke up at 9:45 and looked out the window. It was snowing at my house! A quick check of Solitude's website showed 4 inches overnight. I quickly showered and loaded up the truck. The roads out of my subdivision were snow-covered and slippery. Given the road conditions I figured I would be a bit late to the 11 meeting spot. Knowing I was going to be late I figured McDonalds wouldn't hurt. I still maintain a Sausage McMuffin (TM) is one of the best hangover foods available. As an added bonus it gets the grease factor high for a day of skiing.

The closer I got to the canyon the roads got better. I made it up to Solitude by 10:56, after gearing up I was at Eagle at 11:08. Alas, there was nobody there waiting for me. At that time I surmised I'd be skiing alone today, considering the snow was coming down I wasn't bothered in the least.

As I skated up to load the chair the lifty brushed the accumulated snow off of it. That my friends is always a good thing. It snowed the entire time I was there, light at times, heavy at times.

I mainly hung out on the Summit chair, plenty of fresh to be found. I had to smirk on one lift ride, two guys on the chair ahead of me were talking to a friend ahead of them. "We're going to have to traverse to find some fresh stuff," they were claiming. Heh, I was finding fresh everywhere. The Headwall Forest was sublime, knee deep and untracked everywhere.

I ended up taking 15 lift rides before my legs were done. Whew, what a great day!

BobMc

PS, Lumpy, yeah man, I hear ya. I'll be up at PowMow sometime this season.

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    Bob says "Eeet was soooo good you suckas!"
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations