Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    it's 25 below.
    Even the Hot Sauces are frozen.
    -37 at Fox Creek yesterday morning at dawn and I can't remember it ever being colder in the last 15 years. Hopefully, some of these damn pine beetle infestations got taken out last night. I went outside in my boxers to see how long I could take it. About 10 seconds; -37 is a "To Build a Fire" type of cold.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 01-15-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    -37 at Fox Creek yesterday morning at dawn. I went outside in my boxers to see how long I could take it. About 10 seconds; -37 is a "To Build a Fire" type of cold.
    I think yesterday was the first time Ive ever even heard of schools being cancelled due to cold.
    Live Free or Die

-38 at 7am yesterday outside my bedroom in the Aspen Drive cold sink...
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

Quote Originally Posted by brianh61 View Post
    This is more civilized, unlike the slayer dude. Gimme a break. ]
    My point was opinions are like assholes, we all got one. You come into this locals thread handing out insults and spouting your opinions like its the gospel, fine, whatever....two can play at that game. You can take an inflexible viewpoint, fine, I can take the opposite. If you want to insist on your right to be a dick out in the woods, hey guess what....I can play that game better than you. That you can act like a dick but say anyone who responds in kind is "uncivilized" makes you look like a hypocrit as well as a major butthurt egotist. For starters, only a ragingly insecure person would even give a shit what some dude wrote two weeks ago in an obscure locals thread deep inside a website notorious for sarcasm and bullshit. And then to brag about his butt on top of it all. Nice work, Hardon, you put a new spin on "butthurt". Better get over to NewSchoolers and start some shit, I hear they routinely make fun of old farts over there. Be sure and tell all the kids how well hung you are while you're at it.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 01-15-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    For starters, only a ragingly insecure person would even give a shit what some dude wrote two weeks ago in an obscure locals thread deep inside a website notorious for sarcasm and bullshit. And then to brag about his butt on top of it all. Nice work, Hardon, you put a new spin on "butthurt". Better get over to NewSchoolers and start some shit, I hear they routinely make fun of old farts over there. Be sure and tell all the kids how well hung you are while you're at it.
    Hehehe, I was all about moving on past this, but I had to quote this for truth.

See ya soon, flat-ass!
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

Highly relevant, thanks for posting Tye.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Off-topic, kinda, but here is a summary of happy hours at the village...

In other food news, some new folks took over he food concession at snow king. Besides the standard fare, they are offering things like spicy pork rice and (or?) noodle bowls with Asian vegetables, and other Asian specials.
    Well, I guess thy would just be 'specials', seeing as they are Asian.
    Looks damn well worth a trip to the hockey rink. I'll try it soon.

the skiing has been great
    'cast the future past'

Quote Originally Posted by EP.skisforlife View Post
    the skiing has been great
    And how long will that last with the present forecast?
    I'm arriving in JH this Friday for 9 days.
    Thankfully the temps are rising back to normal, but this was meant to be a powder holiday.
    Oh well, any advice

Quote Originally Posted by pineconepete View Post
    I'm arriving in JH this Friday for 9 days.
    Thankfully the temps are rising back to normal, but this was meant to be a powder holiday.
    long term and historically inaccurate models are showing a system moving in near the last week of jan - i'll place my money on your wishes coming true during the 9 day stay

Quote Originally Posted by GShep View Post
    long term and historically inaccurate models are showing a system moving in near the last week of jan - i'll place my money on your wishes coming true during the 9 day stay
    I sure hope so. 1st time in 6 years we haven't booked any cat skiing, relying on the resorts to come through with the goods.
    The obvious choices are JH, Targhee, and Big Sky depending on conditions. Are there any other choices?

I sure hope so. 1st time in 6 years we haven't booked any cat skiing, relying on the resorts to come through with the goods.
    The obvious choices are JH, Targhee, and Big Sky depending on conditions. Are there any other choices?
    I would think that driving to SLC is a better choice before Big Sky given the current conditions. IMO stay put in JH though.

Teton Pass, the cat at ghee maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by GShep View Post
    I would think that driving to SLC is a better choice before Big Sky given the current conditions. IMO stay put in JH though.

Teton Pass, the cat at ghee maybe?
    Will probably start off with Targhee on Saturday to avoid the crowds at JH, so will look into the cat ski there for sure if the resorts tracked out. With SLC being 5 hrs each way, it would mean an overnighter. No problem talking the gang into that if it's dumping in LCC.

Will probably start off with Targhee on Saturday to avoid the crowds at JH, so will look into the cat ski there for sure if the resorts tracked out. With SLC being 5 hrs each way, it would mean an overnighter. No problem talking the gang into that if it's dumping in LCC.
    Down here in SLC we are stuck in the most massive high pressure ever. It puked on us a week ago, but that was a week ago and no snow in the forecast for the foreseable future.

Did anyone get on Taylor today or yesterday?

Also, had an awesome day on Beard. Lots of photos here:
    http://thomas-armento.smugmug.com/Ot...n-WY-20130117/

North face looks unreal:

Other photos from the day:

Anyone know if it's still okay to park overnight in the parking garage downtown? Or any other spots to leave a car overnight around town? I have a friend coming to crash for a while but I only have one parking space at my apartment.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain you're good for 72 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by peace_coast View Post
    Anyone know if it's still okay to park overnight in the parking garage downtown?

Should be good in the parking garage, Ive left my FJ in there for several nights so far this winter.

Id just make sure it doesnt sit in the same spot for more than a day or two.
    Live Free or Die

sweet, thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by PappaG View Post
    Did anyone get on Taylor today or yesterday?
    wth, you're in these parts?! Shoulda given a heads up, whiskey would be in order!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

My roommates did Taylor 2 days ago, slick skin track but deep turns on the way down. Not sure what the inversion or wind has done to it in the past couple of days tho.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1358539593.996358.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	130748

east face looked like it had loaded in again from the wind yesterday afternoon, only a few tracks down it, snow might be fucked by now from wind and sun though

Skied the east face of Taylor today. Top half in the skier's right area was trenchtown powder. Super nice. Baked in the gut though. Plenty of pics to upload but it's time for 2nd dinner.

If you get below/leeward of the windjack & away from the multitude of tracks, there are some fine riding conditions to be had.

I'll second the above comments regarding the facet factory kicking in. In thinner snowpack areas, say 3 feet or less, it's getting really noticeable. Both near surface facets and depth hoar are doing their thing. I visited the same low elevation (7-8k e/se aspect) glade exactly a week apart and found it decidedly less supportable on the second visit. Also been triggering decent sized "sugar sluffs" in low elevation, shady, unskied areas.

On an aside, there were some cool atmospheric special effects today.

Taylor after the gang rape ...