first fatality of 2012-13

Not ski related but the first avi fatality of the year was yesterday in the Stewart area north of Terrace. Sounds like the slide took out a couple employees from an industrial work camp.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ath-north.html

1 dead in avalanche in northwestern B.C.
    The Canadian Press Posted: Oct 23, 2012 10:42 PM PT Last Updated: Oct 24, 2012 6:47 AM PT

The Coroners Service of British Columbia says one person is dead following an avalanche in the province's northwest.

Coroner Barb McLintock says little is known about the incident except that it took place in a remote area and the closest community is Stewart, B.C., located near the border with Alaska, nearly 1,500 kilometres north of Vancouver.

Stewart, B.C.
    McLintock says two people from an industrial camp were working when the avalanche hit.

She says one person escaped but the other did not, and a coroner from Terrace, B.C., is investigating the incident.

McLintock says its very early in the season for an avalanche to claim a life, noting the first fatality last year was reported in the middle of November.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

local bro's doing GPS at a mine site, the fatality was a well known local a good guy who really had his shit together leaves a wife and some kids

the guy who dug himself out is a ski partner and the last survey assistant who worked for him...was me

Shitty.

Nobody needs to die at work ever.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

nobody expects an avalanche in october, aviy.ca isn't even really running yet and yeah this is actualy an industrial accident,

no idea what happened other than whats on the radio and I won't second guess ... its way too close
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-24-2012 at 03:41 PM.

If you think there is enough snow to ski/ride/sled you should also be thinking avalanche...
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

I didn't know him well but ran into him and his family a few times and they were always smiling and having a great time.

You know when we go out, we do it for mostly our own selfish reasons and when something happens we can take some comfort that we were doing what we loved.

Here, while I am sure he loved his job, he was there so that he could provide for his partner and kids. To provide a life for them. Somehow if feels worse - if possible.

Sad news. Vibes to all involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Damn sad. When I heard about it and where the guy was from I was hoping it wasn't a bud of yours (or mine) Al. Was the other surveyor Jay or Doug? Pretty bloody unforgiving terrain up there any time of year. Vibes to the guy's family and friends.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Thats right you were one of that eclectic group of hard boot snow boarders

pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Pit View Post
    Shitty.

Nobody needs to die at work ever.
    at the paddle club AGM last nite a certain pro you know (you too LHE) told us that actualy this incident comes under the mines act and then he rattled off a huge list of things that were fucked up from the worker safety perspective

There was no mountain safety program on this site and no pro's were called to do a post aviy assesment so it sounds like mining is handling this in house, hopefully some positive change will come of it but it sounds the ball would be in " Mines " court ?

Was working at that site all season no one expected avalanche rocks poking out everywhere and really not very much snow

Bit of wet stuff let go and he lost is
    Footing and ended up a few hundred meters down the chute below.

Not the best terrain to be booting around this time of year

vibes, sad
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

I went to the celebration of life many funny stories and a toast to the deceased , I never seen so many people in the driftwood hall

unfortunatley bro left a house half remodeled (the kitchen sink has no drain) and so all his friends have rallied to finish the job in true Bulkley Valley fashion, there must have been 18-24 people on saturday staining all the siding checking in and the building supply stores are helping out too

there is no lack of carpenters but there is a lack of money so there is a big benifit dance at the Driftwood hall on the 24th which I suspect will pull in big bucks .