Peavine conditions and route guidance?

Thinking about riding Peavine this weekend. Any local beta on conditions? My in-laws sent a picture of the mountains above the Boom and it looked fairly well snow-dusted. Also, I've never ridden Peavine before - any recommendations for a trail loop (15-30 miles, sufferfests welcomed)?

Peavine is super fun, but whether it's rideable or not is going to depend on what happens with the precip this week and what happens with the snow on it.

The dirt on Peavine turns into clay when it gets wet and usually takes at least 2 days to dry out. So it's not really rideable and it's really bad for the trails if you go anyway. I did it once and promised to never do it again.

It's supposed to stop raining/snowing on Wednesday, so you might be alright by this weekend. But if they get a bit of snow and it takes a couple of days to melt out... I'd still take your bike just in case, but be prepared to turn around if the dirt is still holding moisture.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Peavine was totally white this morning from the top nearly to the bottom. It's cleared up a little and now only the top half is white.

Yeah, definitely don't want to put a nice 2-inch rut into the trail network - seems like there's been some really positive local MTB effort to build singletrack, don't want to mess that up.

Got some good recs from the Poedunk and Team Bacon Strip sites. Any recommendations on which trails, and in which direction, would make for a good all-day ride from this map?

Bumping this, as the trip to the in-laws' place in Verdi got pushed to this weekend. Any updates on how muddy/not muddy things are on Peavine?

Looking out the window at Peavine right now, the very top is covered in clouds. It rained a little bit this morning, but the forecast doesn't call for much more today.

By the weekend, it'll be completely dry -- except for maybe the top, but most of the trails don't go up to the top anyway. Should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerKnuckleDragger View Post
    Got some good recs from the Poedunk and Team Bacon Strip sites. Any recommendations on which trails, and in which direction, would make for a good all-day ride from this map?
    I don't really have any all-day recs since I mostly just did after work and quick weekend rides up there. That said, the trails go way up so you can put together some big rides. I've always wanted to do a big day and ride up to the very top of Peavine Mountain, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Sounds like the riding's going to be good, thanks! I'll report back if I can figure out a good all-day sufferfest (or otherwise good 3-4 hour adventure).

Peavine is now visible to the top, and I see no snow on there. (Looking at it from the Reno downtown side of the mountain.)
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Bump for an upcoming trip to the in-laws and a total lack of snow in Tahoe. How's the dirt on Peavine? Any ice/mud on the shady northerly sections?

Also, is there any single track or otherwise worthwhile trail above where the trail ends in what I think is the mahogany forest? From maps and strava, it seems like it's all fire road (with some awesomely banked, but very loose bermed turns), quads, and shotguns.

I'm told Cow Canyon outta Verdi is good to go.

http://www.greatbasinbicycles.com/si...e-Mountain.pdf
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

I've been meaning to do Cow Canyon, except this time without accidentally crossing the rickety old/decommissioned railroad bridges between Boomtown and West 4th...

rode Cow Canyon on Monday - yup totally clear.

Started in Keystone - clear of snow, ice & mud. I ended up climbing to the shoulder of Peavine and descending into Cow canyon, i intended to hit the upper single track from the shoulder of Peavine through the aspens and then do the regular cow canyon singletrack down to the river. That upper single track from the shoulder is covered in snow and the steep rocky section of the dirt road is wicked icy, i would not bother going up there. But the lower section (1,500'?) is totally clear.

Anyone know a decent way to get from cow canyon back to keystone other than the paved road or climbing back up and over? Personally I liked the Keystone side better but cow canyon was pretty fun as well, there is some route finding at the beginning of the climb to get going but the great basin link above should solve that

A neighbor told me about some single track in Carson behind a college - any beta on that vs keystone?
    Last edited by Jack Burton; 01-24-2014 at 09:52 AM. Reason: clarify
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

I haven't ridden either lately, but have heard that Keystone /Evans trails are clear. Also reportedly Centennial in Carson City is clear.

Cal canyon is super fun for dirt biking. Seen a few mt bikers too. The backside is still icy and snowy. Not for long though!

Bumping this for the now-yearly "I'm mountain biking on Thanksgiving" conditions update. Dry? Tacky? Muddy like riding on a bar of soap?

Ash Canyon was mint today so I would imagine Peavine is similar

Sweet! Thanks for the update.