Page 42 of 69 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1706
    Very cool! Way to go, Owen!

Awesome, Owen!!

closing day was booming
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Hope Owen has some good sunblock on.

Saw a guy yesterday at KW with a bright red back. Ouch.

Bear Valley - Thank you for supporting the Society for disAbilities and giving me the season pass. I thoroughly enjoyed getting back in touch with my original Home Mountain.
    51 years ago, plundering the pow under Cub chair, was the beginning of a love affair with Mother Nature.

Next years Pass is already purchased.

Glad we could share some turns together this season John.

Association of Professional Patrollers conference here this week after we’ve closed. Cool to have the mountain to ourselves

Good turns this morning in the BV backcountry. Stiff winds kept the shallow freeze firm longer than the mild temps would predict. Coverage is spectacular and everything is very, very smooth. Need a couple of cold nights to really set things up, but looks to be a warm week ahead. Even so, with clear night skies turns should be fine with an early start and early exit. Should be a fantastic spring.

Round Valley was good today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9736.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	323.7 KB 
ID:	281942

CalTrans update on Hwy 4

❄️❄️❄️❄️

CALTRANS CREWS REACH MOSQUITO LAKE ON STATE ROUTE 4/EBBETTS PASS
    Seasonal Clearing of the High Sierra Routes Continues Despite Blanket of New Snow

IF you know Mosquito Lake, you might be able to pick out the rooftops of the summer cabins poking out above the deep drifts surrounding the frozen surface of the lake.

Camp Connell Maintenance Supervisor Mike Johnson shot this video earlier today (Friday, May 17, 2019) of the crew working their way around the upper (westernmost) lake.

Our crews are continuing to work on the seasonal clearing of pass roadways in District 10 even though our passes continue to be impacted by additional snowfall, likely with more to come this weekend.

Caltrans’ goal each year is to have these seasonal routes open to the public by Memorial Day weekend. Given the late storms, it is not clear at this point when we will be able to get these routes open for the season.

A recent poster following closely observed the following:

“To sum it up, starting at the Bear Valley gate on April 8, six weeks later, it’s cleared to Mosquito on the west side, and Ebbetts from the east,” said Greg Bergantz via a recent Facebook post. “That said, clearing the remainder in only one week would mean a spectacularly heroic effort (and set of circumstances...no road damage, etc.). I’m rooting for you, CalTrans!”

Our crews definitely appreciate the encouragement- rest assured they are working as hard as they can to complete the seasonal clearing.

Once the road has been cleared of snow, the focus turns to the repair of the roadway, guardrail, culverts, drains and signs, due to damage from rockfall, trees, snow and ice- all of which will have to be completed prior to reopening the roadway.

Side note: we’ve received many requests for more information about SR-108/Sonora Pass. We will be doing a comprehensive roundup next week in advance of the Memorial Day holiday weekend to let everyone know what to anticipate, so we appreciate your patience!

For the latest in highway information please check http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov or call our Road Condition Hotline at 1-800-427-ROAD (7623).

Central California

Saw hopelesslyadolescent on his way up while I was headed down Poison Canyon yesterday. Sorry I didn’t stop to chat. I had to get down the hill to Sonora.

Planning on spending tomorrow touring in the storm out of the Round Valley snopark.

Edit: planning to spend the next few days touring in the storm...

Name:	IMG_9783.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	361.4 KB 
ID:	283128

Name:	IMG_9784.JPG 
Size:	316.7 KB 
ID:	283129

Name:	IMG_9786.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	327.8 KB 
ID:	283130

Looks nice Mike! How much did you get?

Name:	IMG_9782.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	283171

7000’ 24 hours ago

Today I finally went and dropped into some stuff I’ve looked at but never skied before. Learning my way around here.

They say it isn’t spring around here until it snows on the dogwoods.

Name:	IMG_9788.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	426.2 KB 
ID:	283228

Name:	IMG_9789.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	319.4 KB 
ID:	283229

Name:	IMG_9791.JPG 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	283230

Name:	IMG_9792.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	283231

Name:	IMG_9793.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	321.5 KB 
ID:	283232

Name:	IMG_9798.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	283233

Name:	IMG_9800.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	324.7 KB 
ID:	283234

Name:	IMG_9802.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	372.1 KB 
ID:	283235

Name:	IMG_9808.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	283236

Name:	IMG_9809.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	283237

SEASONAL PASSES TO REMAIN CLOSED OVER MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND
    100 Miles Of Road Cleared, But Late Storms, Above Average Snow Depth and Winter Conditions Cause Delay

Despite the heroic efforts of our crews working nearly seven days a week since the beginning of April to clear the high Sierra routes for the summer season, they will remain closed through the Memorial Day holiday weekend due to unusually heavy winter conditions this year.

The work this year has included a snow pack that was 161% of normal. Crews encountered a consistently deeper snow pack at lower elevations than is normal with drifts up to 25’ at the higher elevations, which has caused work to slow from a normal average of ½ mile per day most years to at times as little as 1/10 of a mile per day this year.

These late storms have also forced our crews to divert equipment and personnel to lower elevations to clear roads for the traveling public and necessitated plowing new snow just to reach the seasonal clearing work sites.

With the addition of adding two shifts per day and despite all of the above, Caltrans crews from District 10 and District 9 have succeeded in clearing snow from 100 miles of roads that are closed during the winter and will likely have all the snow removed from the routes within the next few days.

The estimated time of opening is dependent on the progress to remove remaining snow from the routes and the completion of any repairs needed to fix damage to the roadway, guardrail, culverts, drains and signs, due to damage from rockfall, trees, snow and ice prior to reopening the routes for the season.

Yosemite National Park manages Tioga Road inside the park boundary which remains closed with no estimate for when it is expected to open for the season.

For the safety of the traveling public and our crews, the routes will remain closed despite this progress as winter conditions will continue to persist and ice and rockfall will be a hazard particularly in the shaded sections of the roadways.

Ebbetts Pass and Sonora Pass require closure during the winter season. Sonora Pass has grades in excess of 20% and Ebbetts Pass has grades in excess of 23%, far exceeding typical highway grades of 6%. The steep grades, high elevation and narrow roads cannot accommodate snow removal equipment and vehicular traffic at the same time and make it hazardous to allow travel when icy conditions exist.

Thanks for your patience and understanding. We know how important it is for communities on either side of the pass for the route to be open for the summer season. For the latest in highway information please check http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov or call our Road Condition Hotline at 1-800-427-ROAD (7623).

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Thanks for sharing the updates.
    It should still be very good when they do open.

Is the closure still at alpine lake? Can you overnight in a truck camper there or in the resort lot?

Quote Originally Posted by pajamas View Post
    Is the closure still at alpine lake? Can you overnight in a truck camper there or in the resort lot?
    yes and yes and yes

I'm heading out there right now.

damned good again today

warmer air and moist snow this morning

Quote Originally Posted by pajamas View Post
    You coming this way?

That's a big maybe. If we do it will be Sunday and Monday. Silver tundra with 4wheel camper. It would be cool to meet you mike.

I’ll be here

Can offer a shower and dinner