Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Sucks dude! Heal up quick. And remember, "Ski fast, lose your pass!"

picking at my scabs...

we are making it happen

damn the mud!

snow has been fantastic the last couple of days

snow in the forecast

a few tickets available to those interested
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

CalTrans started plowing west side of hwy 108 from the gate 6.5 miles above Strawberry today. Should be open to Kennedy Meadows for fishing opener in a couple weeks. Unsure about the east side.

Woodcutting opened today.

Dodge Ridge closed yesterday. Good skiing for tear-down today. Some good hiking to be had this week.

Badger Pass is closed.

China Peak is closed.

Bear Valley is open. Wine and bluegrass Saturday April 6. Reggae and beer Saturday April 13.
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 04-02-2013 at 10:17 AM.

^^Krystal Kartwright^^

SR 108
    [IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
    NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA.
    Saw that on the Caltrans page this afternoon and got excited for a second until I remembered it's still early April... Does their site usually not list any info on the closure? Either way thanks for the updates telemike!

I see this:

SR 108
    [IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
    IS CLOSED FROM 3.2 MI EAST OF THE TUOLUMNE/MONO CO LINE TO 5.3 MI WEST OF
    THE JCT OF US 395 /SONORA PASS/ (MONO CO) - FOR THE WINTER - MOTORISTS ARE
    ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

also - sign at Soulsbyville Rd showed Sonora Pass closed at SnoPark 6.5 miles east of Strawberry

I'll look into it...

Back to normal here now too. Pretty sure it was just an error that popped for a while. The one good thing about low snow years... Earlier road openings.

My info from a recent Sonora Pass flyover says that there isn't much snow on the road at all. Basically that they could open with a just a few days of work. But, c'mon, it's April. There is hardly any demand to get it open, and they don't want to have to re-close it because of a late season storm. I'd be surprised if it opened before May 15, and shocked if it was before May 1.

But I could be way off. I don't make the decisions.

Well, they got it open first weekend in May last year, so that's what I'm hoping for again this year... I'd also be surprised if it was before that though.

Hanging at Bear Valley. A good day.

Bear will honor ALL passes for other ski areas until closing day April 14. Dodge Ridge skiers should be here taking advantage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	share-the-snow.gif 
Views:	93 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	136147

Bear Valley is not ready to give into spring and with 12 inches of new snow from the recent storm, we got the boost needed to keep winter going at Bear Valley for a little bit longer!

We know everybody has loads of options to get out and play this time of year and we’d like to keep you skiing; so we are providing a little incentive to get in a few more days on the slopes.

Bear Valley is offering an invitation to any valid 12/13 season pass holder from any California downhill ski resort, to get a free lift ticket when you show your pass at our ticket window through closing day, as part of our spring “Share the Snow” program.

To make things even sweeter we are also offering a free lift ticket to all those Californians who have purchased a valid 2013 summer pass for the following summer recreation parks including:

Raging Waters (San Jose, CA and Sacramento, CA)
    Great America - (Santa Clara, Ca)
    Six Flags - (Vallejo, CA)
    Santa Cruz Beach Board Walk
    Playland - San Francisco
    (ID Required to receive ticket)

Come on up and get in some spring skiing. The mountain’s original projected close date was slated for April 21st, and we are watching the conditions to see how long we can go. In the meantime, we feel confident we will be open Saturday April 13th for our big annual Pond Skimming, Reggae and Jib Jam events. Followed by our Season Pass holder “Thank You” Lunch and Slush Cup on Sunday April 14th.
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 04-07-2013 at 08:15 AM.

Squeezing in a few more days at BV. Owen doesn't NEED to go to school every day, right?

3 R's - ridin', rippin' and rockin'!

aaand now we're at the ER getting Krystal xray and CT scan - probably a moderate concussion and whiplash - crashed hard on her head and face

thanks to my friends at Bear Valley for excellent care and transportation

hopelesslyadolescent - spotted your son rolling by as we were waiting for patrol
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 04-08-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Heal up KK.

Home...

Xray and CT scan ok. Concussion and whiplash.

Smith helmet worked properly. Damaged, but her skull is in one piece.

Thanks Makers

Sorry to hear about Krystal, glad she's home and OK. Maybe I'll see you up there next weekend.

We'll be at Kirkwood for the banked slalom event.

Bear Valley Reggae and Microbrews

Saturday 4/13/13

I was planning to be there Saturday anyway since my kid is playing with the band.
    With a free pass I can buy a lot more beer.
    If you catch me I might buy you one.

http://www.bearvalley.com/reggae-on-the-mountain
    http://www.reverbnation.com/alalune

Kirkwood 4/8/11 - welcome to the central ca thread

Yesterday was interesting inbounds - Peanut Butter on Coral Reef conditions.
    It took a dozen runs but my knees finally got tired of the grating.
    There were deeper spots where the scratching wasn't bad at all.

Reggae and beers is my backup plan if Krystal can't travel.

probably headed to BV tomorrow - maybe lifts maybe Reba?

I have 2 free vouchers for folks that don't have a pass.

Mike, my son and his crew were in a somber mood Monday, as they had just heard that their lifelong friend, Zach Orman, was killed Sunday in a paragliding accident in Arizona. Just realized that Zach may have been patrolling at BV the year you were there. He patrolled at Northstar for a couple of years after that I think, summers doing S&R in Yosemite. He was in medical school in Tucson, still doing a lot of climbing, skiing and rafting. He was really an amazing person. Nate and his friends decided to go up to BV to remember Zach, as they all grew up on that hill.

Mattly and Chris mentioned that to me when we brought Krystal in. There was a somber mood in Patrol, too. It didn't help that I was there with my wrecked wife. I did not work with Zach, but we'd met a few times and skied together a few times. A fine lad. Looked like your son and his crew were having a good time celebrating his memory. When Owen and our friend got to the top to get patrol one of the newer guys I hardly know asked Owen "Didn't your dad used to patrol here?" I'm happy to know that my son is part of the big awesome BV family like yours. I was hoping to introduce myself and Owen. Sorry I missed him.

Bear Valley is for sale.

Resort for sale
    Written by Sean Janssen, The Union Democrat April 10, 2013 08:10 am

Bear Valley Mountain Resort and surrounding developments are listed for sale and a resort spokeswoman said an ownership change is a lock.

The asking price is not included in a listing at cbremarketplace.com, a site operated by Los Angeles-based commercial real estate broker CBRE.

“The number is not public,” said Bear Valley spokeswoman Rosie Sundell. “The brokers are working with interested investors on a case-by-case basis.”

Operations at the 1,700-acre ski resort, leased from the U.S. Forest Service, the 53-room Bear Valley Lodge hotel, restaurants and retail shops in Bear Valley Village, a 9,000 square-foot employee housing complex and 11 acres identified for condominium development are included in the listing.

Alpine County approved a development plan in December that will permit construction of more than 300 condominiums, a new lodge, a chair lift from the village to the mountaintop and an outdoor amphitheater after about seven years of planning and environmental review.

The Central Sierra Environmental Resource Center, based in Twain Harte, withdrew opposition to plans for expansion of the ski territory in December, paving the way for that work to move ahead as soon as the summer. The Forest Service previously approved the plan, which includes two new chairlifts to provide service between Bear Valley Village and the resort, upgrades to the Super Cub chairlift, addition of 174 more parking spaces, construction of a 12,500 square-foot lodge and addition 85.5 acres of developed trails.

In January, Bear Valley management announced it is seeking investors to begin the approved village expansions.

“As a result of the entitlements received, we now have the opportunity to realize a vision for Bear Valley that has been talked about for over 30 years,” Sundell said. “This is a very exciting time for the community if the capital is achieved ... our ownership group always planned to go out for additional or alternative capital when (project approval) occurred.”

What the ownership group will look like if and when construction begins is unknown but Sundell said it will be different from the current partnership of equal thirds held by Colorado-based Dundee Resort Development, San Jose-based developer Toeniskoetter, Breeding & Halgrimson and Palo Alto-based Radar Partners, a venture capital firm.

“A transaction would take place that could include a completely new ownership group if the offer made sense to our current owners,” she said. “The end result could also be one or two of our current owners. At some point the current three partners will change.”

The future of Bear Valley is important to residents and merchants of the Highway 4 corridor in eastern Calaveras County who rely on winter tourism generated by the resort.

“It’s an integral part of the Ebbetts Pass corridor. What happens in Bear Valley absolutely affects the economy of the upper Ebbetts Pass corridor. A lot of second-home owners get their homes because of Bear Valley,” said Calaveras County Supervisor Merita Callaway, who represents the area. “I’m excited. Bear (Valley) just needs an influx maybe of some of new energy.”

Monitor Pass open

Sonora Pass open to Eagle Meadows

Sonora Pass is now open to Kennedy Meadows!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7360.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	136602

Hwy 4 update - snowblowers are near Hermit Valley - about 10 miles east of Lake Alpine - a few miles west of Highland Lakes Road

word from the turnout is that HWY 108 will open over Sonora Pass on Wednesday April 24