Page 58 of 69 FirstFirst ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 1706
    fkna
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I’m out. Kid just said nope too tired. My day pass is attached to his. Looks like a bike ride instead. Thanks for the offer. I just waxed up his skis too. Even offering candy did not help. And I miss BV.

Flip side @dflinn is coming to SC to mtb so let’s ride

from Caltrans

TUOLUMNE COUNTY – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) has removed snow, cleared debris and made necessary repairs to open State Route 108/Sonora Pass to Kennedy Meadows at 10:00 a.m. on Monday, April 19, 2021.

The diligent work of Caltrans crews enabled the opening of this section of the pass in time for the beginning of trout fishing season in the Eastern Sierra, which begins on Saturday, April 24, 2021. Tourists can now reach the Kennedy Meadows Resort and other attractions in the Sierra Nevada.

There is no estimated opening date for the full SR-108/Sonora Pass.

Caltrans recognizes the importance of this route to the region’s economy, which depends a great deal on tourism. Crews responsible for the road opening extend their best wishes for those traveling who enjoy the recreational opportunities this part of California has to offer.

For the latest road information, visit quickmap@dot.ca.cov, or call our Road Condition Hotline at 1-800-427-ROAD (7623).

Anyone been to Highland Lakes yet? Wondering how far the road's open without a high lift 4x4. If you made it in, is anything decent left on Hiram or Folger?

might be able to join you next week and we could take my truck in

https://gofund.me/a0d21b1c

Fundraiser for some Bear Valley locals, got in a head on collision on Hwy 4 this week.

Stanislaus NF winter travel plan

https://winterwildlands.org/stanisla...a5VZnSs8pPFkw4

I haven’t had time to look at the document, but WWW does a good job of reviewing it here.

Central California

I’ve got a few questions for y’all- I’m trying to put together a trip on the Sierra High Route late in august into mid September. I’m thinking of riding my motorcycle down, and starting the hike from the south end. The end points are Annet’s mono village near Twin Lakes(north end), and Copper Creek (kings canyon/sequoia) on the south end. Securing permits is a whole other thing, but can anyone advise me of shuttle possibilities for a solo hiker? I’m also looking for a spot to put the motorcycle. Adding to the difficulty is the end points are on opposite sides of the crest. I could go southbound from Mono, add twenty trail miles on the south end, come out at Onion Valley Campground and try hitching north on 395? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Always had good hitch hiking experiences into and out of the mountains from Owens Valley. Typically would find a gas station owner who was cool with the car parked in his lighted area for a week. Never wanted money. Admittedly, back in the day (Heh…). But still, unexpectedly nice people. Hope that helps.

Hitchhiking has been one of the casualties of the pandemic so I’d leave that as a last resort

Dodge Ridge has been sold.

stay tuned for details

Whoa

Sneaking in the actions shots, nice one!

we don’t sneak

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1629163399.151309.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	382582

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    I’ve got a few questions for y’all- I’m trying to put together a trip on the Sierra High Route late in august into mid September. I’m thinking of riding my motorcycle down, and starting the hike from the south end. The end points are Annet’s mono village near Twin Lakes(north end), and Copper Creek (kings canyon/sequoia) on the south end. Securing permits is a whole other thing, but can anyone advise me of shuttle possibilities for a solo hiker? I’m also looking for a spot to put the motorcycle. Adding to the difficulty is the end points are on opposite sides of the crest. I could go southbound from Mono, add twenty trail miles on the south end, come out at Onion Valley Campground and try hitching north on 395? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Well, you'll definitely get a ride down the hill from Onion, and probably all the way to Bishop if you hold out for that (while in Onion Valley). Time the buses right and you can get to Mammoth (from Independence or Bishop, estransit.com), and from there to Lee Vining (YARTS). I imagine you can eventually get a ride north from Lee Vining (I'd hold up a sign just outside the Mobil Station lot), and then in to Twin Lakes from Bridgeport. Multi-stage for sure, and you may luck out with the hitch and combine some steps. A well placed motorcycle could help too; maybe stash it at a place where you have permission, give a motel manager a $20 or whatever for his trouble.

Yeah, it'll be a bit harder with the whole Covid thing, but rides happen near the Sierra (I held out an "I'm Vaxed" sign while getting from Independence to Onion a few months ago, after riding a stashed crap bike down the hill from Baxter trailhead to Independence).

Avoid the trans-Sierra hitch if you can. Heh, I've done it (VVR at Lake Edison to Onion Valley when I got severe shinsplints trying to speed-hike the JMT), and was really lucky; only took a full day (including a bus ride for one section), but could have been much worse. Onion to the KC valley floor is a relatively easy hike (a bit tougher in the other direction).

I know a pilot

Oh wait, the motorcycle is your vehicle, not a potential shuttle vehicle. Hmmm, maybe the private campground at Twin won't charge too much to park it there and sort of watch after it (I think they charge for parking regardless).

For permits, the sweet spot for reserving even rather in-demand permits for Inyo is exactly 2 weeks in advance, and then be sure to finish the online obtain-permit protocol before the last minute. Twin Lakes isn't Inyo though, I don't think, so I can't help you there. I don't know, Toyaibe might not even have permit quotas. Generally in the Sierra, your permit to just about anywhere just depends on your entry point.

Read about this weird situation today, family of 3 and dog all dead without clear signs and it's being treated as a hazmat risk. Up the south fork of the Merced near jerseydale.

Non paywalled link:
    https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/...IGDXOKPB5SWKU/

Spooky. And sad.

fire north of Sonora yesterday with evacuations in Vallecito and surrounding areas

new fires today in Jamestown and Sonora

I had to evac downtown Sonora

y’all getting ready to play?

Name:	Image1632196825.501574.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	386098

Name:	IMG_2164.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	390436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2158.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	390437

Fun day at Bear Valley! Snow was about 2 to 2 1/2 ft and right side up so skied great. Never hit anything under the snow which I was surprised about.

yeah buddy