Page 50 of 69 FirstFirst ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1706
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r5/ne...giao6JoNowJWyA

VALLEJO, Calif., September 7, 2020—Most of California remains under the threat of unprecedented and dangerous fire conditions with a combination of extreme heat, significant wind events, dry conditions, and firefighting resources that are stretched to the limit. Due to these conditions, the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region is announcing the following temporary closures and fire restrictions to provide for public safety and reduce the potential for human caused fire starts. They will go into effect at 5:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on Monday, September 7, 2020, and will be re-evaluated daily as conditions change.
    Closure of the following National Forests: Stanislaus National Forest, Sierra National Forest, Sequoia National Forest, Inyo National Forest, Los Padres National Forest, Angeles National Forest, San Bernardino National Forest, and Cleveland National Forest.
    Prohibition of the use of any ignition source on all National Forest System lands (campfires, gas stoves, etc.) throughout California.
    Closure of all developed campgrounds and day-use sites on National Forests in California.
    “The wildfire situation throughout California is dangerous and must be taken seriously. Existing fires are displaying extreme fire behavior, new fire starts are likely, weather conditions are worsening, and we simply do not have enough resources to fully fight and contain every fire,” said Randy Moore, Regional Forester for the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region. “We are bringing every resource to bear nationally and internationally to fight these fires, but until conditions improve, and we are confident that National Forest visitors can recreate safely, the priority is always to protect the public and our firefighters. With these extreme conditions, these temporary actions will help us do both.”
    An example of extreme fire behavior is the Creek Fire on the Sierra National Forest which began on Friday Sep. 4th and grew rapidly on Saturday, Sep. 5th. The fire made a 15-mile run in a single day and burned 36,000 acres, prompting evacuations and life saving measures. The California National Guard evacuated at least 200 people from Wagner Mammoth Pool Campground and assessed them for medical needs.
    The Forest Service thanks our partners and the public for their cooperation and understanding of this monumental fire threat. It is critical that all Californians and national forest visitors follow these important closures and restrictions for their own safety and the safety of our firefighters.
    The Forest Service manages 18 National Forests in the Pacific Southwest Region, which encompasses over 20 million acres across California, and assists forest landowners in California, Hawaii and the U.S. Affiliated Pacific Islands. National forests supply 50 percent of the water in California and form the watershed of most major aqueducts and more than 2,400 reservoirs throughout the state. For more information, visit
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I have a friend on the August Complex fire north of Sacremento --
    More than 300,000 acres... (skiJ)

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r5/ne...giao6JoNowJWyA

VALLEJO, Calif., September 7, 2020—Most of California remains under the threat of unprecedented and dangerous fire conditions with a combination of extreme heat, significant wind events, dry conditions, and firefighting resources that are stretched to the limit. Due to these conditions, the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region is announcing the following temporary closures and fire restrictions to provide for public safety and reduce the potential for human caused fire starts. They will go into effect at 5:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on Monday, September 7, 2020, and will be re-evaluated daily as conditions change.
    Closure of the following National Forests: Stanislaus National Forest, Sierra National Forest, Sequoia National Forest, Inyo National Forest, Los Padres National Forest, Angeles National Forest, San Bernardino National Forest, and Cleveland National Forest.
    Prohibition of the use of any ignition source on all National Forest System lands (campfires, gas stoves, etc.) throughout California.
    Closure of all developed campgrounds and day-use sites on National Forests in California.
    “The wildfire situation throughout California is dangerous and must be taken seriously. Existing fires are displaying extreme fire behavior, new fire starts are likely, weather conditions are worsening, and we simply do not have enough resources to fully fight and contain every fire,” said Randy Moore, Regional Forester for the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region. “We are bringing every resource to bear nationally and internationally to fight these fires, but until conditions improve, and we are confident that National Forest visitors can recreate safely, the priority is always to protect the public and our firefighters. With these extreme conditions, these temporary actions will help us do both.”
    An example of extreme fire behavior is the Creek Fire on the Sierra National Forest which began on Friday Sep. 4th and grew rapidly on Saturday, Sep. 5th. The fire made a 15-mile run in a single day and burned 36,000 acres, prompting evacuations and life saving measures. The California National Guard evacuated at least 200 people from Wagner Mammoth Pool Campground and assessed them for medical needs.
    The Forest Service thanks our partners and the public for their cooperation and understanding of this monumental fire threat. It is critical that all Californians and national forest visitors follow these important closures and restrictions for their own safety and the safety of our firefighters.
    The Forest Service manages 18 National Forests in the Pacific Southwest Region, which encompasses over 20 million acres across California, and assists forest landowners in California, Hawaii and the U.S. Affiliated Pacific Islands. National forests supply 50 percent of the water in California and form the watershed of most major aqueducts and more than 2,400 reservoirs throughout the state. For more information, visit
    I saw they closed Los Padres. Probably should have done that sooner, simply due to the heat index.

logging operations are still going

Reports are tonight that China Peak has had some damage due to the Creek Fire. As of now there is damage confirmed to employee housing. The status of other parts of the resort is unknown. I spent a lot of weekends there as a kid. It was a big deal when I could finally venture from Academy to some blue square runs.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    ...It was a big deal when I could finally venture from Academy to some blue square runs.
    Humble brag?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Humble brag?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    I heard they are short on avy explosives. Went BOOM in the Creek Fire. No injuries

https://abc30.com/creek-fire-china-p...blaze/6414853/
    Last edited by LongShortLong; 09-11-2020 at 12:27 PM. Reason: add news link

disposed of

Central California

from China Peak

Name:  IMG_1580.JPG
Views: 1012
Size:  152.2 KB

well fuck

I'm hearing that Badger Pass will not open this season. Big bummer for the Yosemite community.
    I love Badger Pass.

from China Peak

Dear China Peak Friends and Family,

We are on site this week, and miraculously have escaped major damage from this horrific fire. China Peak and China Peak Landing is incredibly grateful for the tremendous and unrelenting work of thousands of firefighters as they battle blazes across the state. Fire personnel are stationed at China Peak to watch for any potential of the fire returning, but it has every indication of moving out of our area. While we have avoided catastrophe, we are saddened by the loss of many homes in the greater mountain community of Shaver and Huntington Lakes.

As soon as we are allowed on site we will begin the clean up process and resume our pre season work to get ready for the 2020-21 ski season. We have a lot to do, but we are confident we can over the next 10-12 weeks get a great deal done to make our projected opening on Thanksgiving weekend.

We also greatly appreciate the many emails and social media posts of support shown China Peak over this challenging period. Our resort clearly means a great deal to a great many, and we will do our best to return it to Central California's winter home for family and friends�� We will get through this as a community!

Central California

I was in a why the F not mood, I Purchased my Bear Valley pass this morning.

yeah buddy!

I'm hearing that Bear Valley's only going to be running the Moke 6-pack and Polar (and Super Cub) this coming season. Granted, those do nearly all the heavy lifting at BV, but still, it's going to take some variety out of the place, that and no Grizz. Apparently it's about how they reduced workforce pretty drastically since Covid hit.

Yeah Bob, I'm hearing some of that too. I have not heard that Koala and Super Cub won't be running, but who knows? That makes for a pretty small mountain, really. I would bet that Koala and Super Cub operate, but I might be totally wrong. Nothing official yet, but obviously no Grizz would be the biggest bummer. When that's good there's really nothing like it around here. That takes away a lot of good terrain you can hike to and utilize the chair as well. Reduction in workforce has been an issue, and will continue to be throughout the season.

I have not seen the full COVID plan yet, but I'm sure things will be rolling similarly to other areas.

One notable change that is really going to impact the locals and weekend homeowners is that the shuttle bus isn't going to run.

Well that is not good to hear.

no

it’s not

That's a bummer but not surprising. Grizz and the village runs are the best part of BV imo. Curious if they'll do similar in other areas, like the neighborhood shuttles in Alpine/Squaw this year.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Central California

it’s raining a bit up here

No village shuttle means better self shuttled laps, get your crew together now! Glad I got a snowmobile this fall.

yeah but you can’t use your snowmobile to access the mountain

Snowmobile will be for different zones, though I’ve seen guys park their sleds up on corral ridge above spyglass

yeah...