Page 32 of 69 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Make or break time in the Central Sierra.

We could open Dodge Ridge this weekend if we get enough out of this storm.

Bear Valley will hopefully open some more terrain.

China Peak is hopeful to open too.

Badger Pass is crossing fingers too.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

KW got 16. How did ya'll fair?

Bear was "fun" today. good conditions, no crowd, but the open terrain was a bit limited. I had rock skis and hit some wood and rocks in the trees between the runs that were open. Sounds like a few runs will open on Koala chair tomorrow. backside needs to wait for some creeks to bridge over. Boot deep for a few runs, a reset this afternoon should make tomorrow "fun" too.

Dodge is going to open ONLY chairs 1 & 6 and the rope tow Saturday and Sunday. Unsure of additional terrain or days at this point.

China Peak opened some stuff today but I’m not sure what.

Have fun out there. Wondering why y’all are not opening further up the hill. I’d assume there was more snow up top. Hoping y’all get snow and open. Would love to visit this year and get my kid out there to see something new.

Let’s just say that elevation isn’t everything.

Ski area is closed folks. The moose outside should have told you.

CP closing after the weekend until more snow.

BV opened Pooh chair. We gotta race there off Koala next weekend.

Haven’t heard a BP update.

From China Peak FB:
    ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

Dear Loyal China Peak Skiers & Riders,

After a two year reprieve from the worst four year drought in California skiing history, 2012-15, we are experiencing so far the most disappointing season in over four decades.

We have been saddled with a uniquely cruel combination of no snow and extremely warm temperatures at our elevation, limiting our snowmaking efforts to a handful of productive nights, in spite of our readiness 24 hours a day. Even during the horrific winters of 2013/14 and 2014/15 we were able to make snow often and at least offer some skiing and riding on upper mountain terrain. The number of available snowmaking nights this winter has been far less than 50% of those two disaster seasons, marginalizing our efforts to a level we have not seen since installing our snowmaking system over 20 years ago.

Our run since purchasing Sierra Summit in 2010 has been rough to say the least. In our eight years, following 10 consecutive seasons of above average snowfall, we have had two seasons of massive snowfall (too much frankly; damage, high costs, challenging customer access) one average season and now five droughts. All of this while spending millions to make the resort better every season for our customers, including the installation of our first quad chair this past summer, which of course has not seen one day of use.

In my 44 years of working in the ski industry, I personally have never seen anything like this. Everyone suffers when this happens - our incredibly loyal year round staff who are now unemployed, many with families; our 300+ seasonal staff who were anxious to spend the winter with us, only to see not a day of employment; our ownership group, who after investing heavily in a new lift this past summer, will lose millions, again; and our amazingly loyal season pass holders, who spent hard earned money buying passes during the four year drought, enjoyed two good seasons and are now saddled with a winter with almost no opportunity to visit our resort.

The only thing that keeps us going at this point is the unconditional support from the majority of you. We have received several hundred emails over the past two months, most offering kind words and support for all of us at China Peak, understanding the unprecedented hand we have been dealt by Mother Nature these past several years. For sure most are very disappointed in their season pass investment this season, but I would say over 90% are China Peak customers for the long haul, willing to stick with us through thick and thin. Unfortunately these past many years it's been more thin than thick.

Our ownership group, including myself and my two loyal Fresno based partners, will also do everything we can to weather this. The loss this season is substantial, more than the drought seasons, and they were financially brutal as well.

Many of you are Black Pass holders, which has been a real savior this season, as you have enjoyed skiing at Powder Alliance resorts across the west.

We'd like to announce an added benefit to those of you who did not upgrade to our Black Pass. We have contacted all of our Powder Alliance partners and have secured ONE FREE DAY OF SKIING for all non Black Pass season pass holders (Black Passes earn three days at each resort). Simply show your season pass at the designed location at each Powder Alliance resort; for complete details including restrictions on use, visit powderalliance.com.

We will take a look at next winter's season pass, including pricing, sale timing and benefits at the end of what would be a typical season, this spring.

Finally, it's not over yet. While this is a near unprecedented lack of snow so far, there have been many winters since skiing began at China Peak 60 years ago when the second half comes roaring in like a lion; in 1991, known to many of you as the 'March Miracle', it snowed over 20 feet and skiers and riders enjoyed many incredible powder days in March and April, even into early May.

On behalf of my partners, I can only say thanks for your amazing support, understanding and commitment to your home resort, China Peak.

Sincerely,

Tim Cohee
    Managing Partner & General Manager

Central California

Looking like it’s game on this week. Plenty of snow in the forecast for today and later this week, so we should be opening Dodge Ridge this weekend. We’ll do our best to get as much open as we can as quickly as we can dependent on snow.

Badger Pass pulled the plug. They’ve announced that they are not going to open, even if they get a bunch of snow. Hoping parent company Aramark changes their minds.

China Peak is going to try to open as well. http://www.skichinapeak.com/get-the-latest

It’s official: Dodge Ridge opening Friday.

https://youtu.be/H-PQeWJ2ZC8

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    It’s official: Dodge Ridge opening Friday.

https://youtu.be/H-PQeWJ2ZC8
    Great news, but gotta give you a shout out for the awesome Randy Rhoads clip...

Haven't figured out if it'll be Bear of DR yet this weekend. What do you expect to be open at DR? After all, you know it's "The closest snow to home!"

And ya, what's a deadhead doing posting an Ozzy clip, man!?

Central California

It’s really going to depend on what the storm brings and what we can get done. Prep started early this week, but we can only do so much right now. We’ll be out in it tomorrow getting things set up and staged. It’s probably going to be a challenge getting everything done with our short staffing, but the goal is to have 1,3,5,6,7,8 spinning this weekend. We’ll see how it goes. I’ll post an update tomorrow after work.

And yeah, Ozzy kicks ass!

We’ll be out in it tomorrow getting things set up and staged
    ☆☆Rock&Roll Mang!☆☆
    And revelling in the taste of Winter!

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Yeah out in the shit! ❄️❄️

Working Dodge Ridge Thu Fri Sat, then Bear Valley for the GS race on Sunday. Then into my Monday through Friday schedule at Dodge.

I’m stoked that I finally get weekends off to ski with Krystal and Owen.

It was an interesting day doing opening prep and it will be an interesting weekend. Dumped all day and was very windy. Some places on the mountain there was 6” and others there was 30”. Flats are going to be challenging for snowboarders. Friday and Saturday will be rugged snow and weather conditions on the roads and on the mountain. Sunday looks great.

Now accepting bets on how long until the recently reopened Mokelumne Express lasts before it goes belly up again. (Fingers crossed it's never...)

Moke opened at about 1:30 or so yesterday. Fingers crossed it stays open.

I say if they want pricing to be 'dynamic', they ought to make in dynamically go down to the cheaper ticket prices when shit's not running. God I hate the whole concept of dynamic pricing. So fucked.

They got Corral opened about 11:00 which was nice. It was closed Saturday, so there was some great pow to be found in upper Blue Jay. Great blue bird pow day at Bear!

We got everything opened up at Dodge Ridge this weekend. It was fun opening up new terrain and punching out access and egress trails for folks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1520278605.480723.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	307.2 KB 
ID:	226919

Texted you yesterday. Thought you'd be at the race at BV? Trying to get up to DR this weekend or next with Caleb.

We got everything opened up at Dodge Ridge this weekend. It was fun opening up new terrain and punching out access and egress trails for folks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1520278605.480723.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	307.2 KB 
ID:	226919
    And it was good.

and it was good to meet you

GiBo hopefully we can ski together next weekend. I might actually get a day off. I’m a M-F guy but...

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    I say if they want pricing to be 'dynamic', they ought to make in dynamically go down to the cheaper ticket prices when shit's not running. God I hate the whole concept of dynamic pricing. So fucked.
    Yeah, I can't see how it helps them get people through the door, which is really what BV needs. Dynamic pricing just seems to make it harder for people who want to spend their money to feel good about it.