TR: Central Couloir, Punta Negra 9/13/12

So after a not-so-snowy couple months of slave labor guiding at Ski Arpa Papatroller and I decided to head out and see what we could find around Santiago before we both headed back to the states. Papatroller had made an attempt to climb the Central Couloir on Punta Negra early in the season and wanted to make a return trip with skis. After a quick stop at the Super Market and an hour or two in the car we were off to make camp on the other side of the lake. Because of our late start, the approach was something Id rather forget but included a fair mixture of scree scrambling, rockfall, and waist deep wallowing through patches of isothermic crap. Unfortunatly, My bag (along with camera, hardrive and everything else) was stolen a couple days after returning to Santiago so all of these photos are from Papatroller.

Arpa Guides gone wild

After making camp we headed down to the lake to make some dinner. Papatroller had forgotten a spork but quickly improvised one from his days as an investment banker.

The sun had set by the time we had finished dinner, so after a little bit of wondering around we found our way into our sleeping bags with alarms set for an 8ish start. The temps dropped overnight and the isothermic crap we had delt with on the approach had frozen over nicely and after a quick breakfast for me and a cup of joe for Papatroller we took off skinning.

Steep(er) skinning on the moraines below the couloir had us quickly ditching skins for crampons.

We reached the base of the couloir and headed up the climbers right side, finding mostly good, boot-top, snow. As we climbed the scale of the Andes played tricks with us. What looked like a short 300m couloir turned into a treadmill. Both Papatroller and I felt a little out of shape as we passed the choke but after a little bit of shit-talking, bitching, cheerleading, and cramping we found ourselves at the top with awsome views of the lake and our camp down below.

I went first and found...

POWDER! Well, sorta.

We leapfrogged down the upper section and found slightly variable facet/crust combinations. Mmmmmm...Poor mans pow.

The lower section that had gotten some morning light however didnt provide such good conditions and had started to refreeze by the time we got there. A couple turns after this picture Papatroller graciously took over my normal spot as a target for rockfall and just missed getting nailed by a radio-sized chuck while skiing

After the near miss we hurried out of the couloir and onto the flats below. The snow on the moraines had corned up nicely and we canadianed it back to camp.

After the afternoon approach the day before we decided to relax and hang for another night and walk out in the morning

The walk out the next morning was partly on snow

And partly not on snow

Hope you enjoyed and many thanks to Papatroller for driving, having the idea in the first place, and the pictures. See you in JH dude!
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

thanks for the report....bum deal with getting your stuff stolen
    For a second I thought you went to Portillo, but clearly that's not where you were...
    Last edited by hoarhey; 10-21-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: shitty reading comprehension
    Aggressive in my own mind

yea Aaron! bummer to hear about your stuff being stolen, but looks like you made the best of it.

Dig the AMEX/spork shot!

Nice spooning and a beautiful area!

Rad whiskers and TR. Sorry you got your stuff stolen. Sucks.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by _Aaron_ View Post
    Yeah buddy. This one in particular has me jonesing.
    I can't believe you are a rando racer because I look so much better in Lycra than you.

People who don't think the Earth is flat haven't skied Vail.

Nice adventure Aaron. Too bad we didnt get any southern turns this season. Are you headed back to Arpa next year?

Nice TR. Sorry to hear about your gear getting stolen...

[QUOTE]As we climbed the scale of the Andes played tricks with us. What looked like a short 300m couloir turned into a treadmill. Both Papatroller and I felt a little out of shape as we passed the choke but after a little bit of shit-talking, bitching, cheerleading, and cramping we found ourselves at the top with awsome views of the lake and our camp down below./QUOTE]

haha, that's really how it is

Nice work Aaron and Papatroller! How much Vert to you end up shredding - looks like a good chunk. Sweet times in the Andes.
    An Evolutionary Rider

www.PeaksforPeace.com

Quote Originally Posted by llyon View Post
    Nice adventure Aaron. Too bad we didnt get any southern turns this season. Are you headed back to Arpa next year?
    Yessir. Im hoping to spend more time after the season is over too. Back to Japan for you this year?
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasBoarder View Post
    Nice work Aaron and Papatroller! How much Vert to you end up shredding - looks like a good chunk. Sweet times in the Andes.
    Im guessing 600-800m in the couloir and about the same on the way back to camp. Papatroller has better info.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Sweet, Thanks for the TR

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Awesome work again Aaron! Good catching up with you this weekend. See you in feb...

Nice pictures. Looks like a good time.

Looks fun.

Quote Originally Posted by _Aaron_ View Post
    Yessir. Im hoping to spend more time after the season is over too. Back to Japan for you this year?
    Im guessing 600-800m in the couloir and about the same on the way back to camp. Papatroller has better info.
    Yeah, Aaron is really close, it was something very near 1600m total.. And yes, almost evenly divided between the couloir and the rollers below.
    Last edited by papatroller; 05-23-2014 at 03:11 PM.