Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by coldwater View Post
    They also come in carbon now...
    with flax, and a hefty bump in price.
    Got a pair at end of season last year.
    Will ski before any further moves...

I think OP should demo/rent in Japan per Hohes suggestion...
    Aggressive in my own mind

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Here's an indication of the 'powder / big mountain' skis available at Sports Takiguchi in Kutchan (6km from Hirafu, Niseko)

http://spotaki.shop-pro.jp/?mode=cat...=252581&csid=0

Currency conversion

http://www.xe.com/

More options in Hirafu at Rhythm & Beats, Interski, Niseko 343, Toyru and higher prices typically.

Tokyo skis. Some nice ones amongst them.

http://forums.ski.com.au/forums/ubbt...82395&page=all

For the price it would cost for me to rent skis for the duration of my trip, I can buy a pair of skis. Thanks for all the help guys, I think I'm going to go with the 183 Faction Royales and use my old bindings, and worst comes to worse I can sell them after the trip for a cut price.

looking at those yen reminded me. make sure you up your ATM limit before you go. Couldn't figure out why my card kept getting refused $300 does not buy many yen.
    off your knees Louie

miketheskier, I've got Whitedots & PM Gears in stock to fondle if you can make it to Nottingham.

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
    If I were packing for a Japan trip right now, I'd be tearing my hair out about whether to take Protests (for a bit more snow condition range) or Powder Boards (for going all in on pure powder performance).
    Apologies for the hijack, but I'm faced with this^ dilemma - would the best option be to go with Powder Boards and then deal with dragging a second set of skis out for when the conditions aren't perfect (eg, Automatics)?? Or is the Protest the perfect one ski quiver for Japan?

Any possibility of bringing the protests and renting some really big pow sticks if you feel the need while you are out there?

It's an option, but I'd rather not pay for rental when I'm already paying for skis in luggage fees, and I can get a second pair in a bigger bag and still be under the weight limit (inserts and 1x bindings). It's just much more weight to carry around for the non-skiing portion of the trip.

Both ANA and JAL unofficially didn't give a shit about weight limits for a ski bag as of 2011 despite what their website says, they just wouldn't offer insurance if over limits. Didn't charge for your ski bag either and even aloud an extra checked bag because of it at no extra cost. I brought a patagonia black hole, dakine double, and carried on a backpack and boots. They told me I could have another checked if I so desired. Didn't pay a dime for any of that. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Kpyto View Post
    Apologies for the hijack, but I'm faced with this^ dilemma - would the best option be to go with Powder Boards and then deal with dragging a second set of skis out for when the conditions aren't perfect (eg, Automatics)?? Or is the Protest the perfect one ski quiver for Japan?
    Surely the whole point of going to Japan is to regularly have the conditions to use super-fat-pow-monsters?!

Quote Originally Posted by coldwater View Post
    Surely the whole point of going to Japan is to regularly have the conditions to use super-fat-pow-monsters?!
    Correct, taking anything but your fattest of fatties to Japan is a waste of time, i work there as a guide all season, 132 underfoot are my narrowest skis, they get fatter from there !

Japan is a reasonably long country with a few different snow climates and certainly a wide variety of terrain characters. If one wanted very regularly to tour in most conditions in the alpine 500 miles south of Niseko, I'd consider something narrower and less pure-pow specific. But still wide.
    Last edited by neck beard; 10-26-2012 at 05:21 AM.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by acpowman View Post
    Correct, taking anything but your fattest of fatties to Japan is a waste of time, i work there as a guide all season, 132 underfoot are my narrowest skis, they get fatter from there !
    Where do you ply your trade?

Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    Japan is a reasonably long country with a few different snow climates and certainly a wide variety of terrain characters. If one wanted very regularly to tour in most conditions in the alpine 500 miles south of Niseko, I'd consider something narrower and less pure-pow specific. But still wide.
    true, but it is my understanding the op is going to be based in niseko, with very little actual touring to be done, hence my comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    Where do you ply your trade?
    MP we have shared many runs together over the years, you've even taken some photos of me on said runs !
    See you in Dec for plenty more. AC

Aha.

Yeah looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by acpowman View Post
    true, but it is my understanding the op is going to be based in niseko, with very little actual touring to be done, hence my comments.
    I clarified your comment about ski width since you said 'Japan' in your post, rather than specifically Niseko. And because you mentioned you worked there as a guide, so I assumed touring.

No big deal, have a good season.
    Life is not lift served.

Woohoo, just booked my last minute flight to Niseko (coming from Vancouver)! Had the same question/dilemma: Lotus 120s or more all-mountain 4frnt Turbos. I know... poor me. Planning on primarily touring and after reading this thread, 120s it is.

Any mags around and wanna catch some backcountry/sidecountry turns between December 27 and Jan 2? Shoot me a pm.

I've haven't skied at Kurodake yet, but from what I've heard, the conditions are good. You might also want to try the nearby Asahidake Onsen ski area as well. They have a nice ropeway there (but that's it) and I've heard that it's all ungroomed. There should be a bus from Asahikawa city that goes there, and there is also a bus from Asahikawa City that goes to Sounkyou Onsen as well, which is where Kuro-dake is. It might be a bit of a trip to get to Asahidake Onsen from Kurodake, but it might be worth it.

I think that you'll really like Niseko, however. The conditions at the resort are varied, so even if you can't get the powder skis that you are looking for, there are plenty of other chances have get some good sking in there.

I skied both of the above. You can catch an afternoon bus from Asahidake and be at Kurodake the same day. Unless you are touring neither lift is worth skiing. Although the terrain from the top of the ropeway to the base at Kurodake is pretty good. I would recomend skipping Asahidake completely. Unless you really want to ski the peak.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I skied both of the above. You can catch an afternoon bus from Asahidake and be at Kurodake the same day. Unless you are touring neither lift is worth skiing. Although the terrain from the top of the ropeway to the base at Kurodake is pretty good. I would recomend skipping Asahidake completely. Unless you really want to ski the peak.
    Being based in Japan and having skied probably over 50 days at Asahidake, I have to disagree with this. The skiing off the tram is nothing wild but if you are prepared for a quick 15 to 30 minute tour you can find some of the best and most accessible terrain in Hokkaido (the hakuba crew will chime in about the best terrain in Honshu). It definitely has the best cliff bands available. That is why there is the influx of film crews every year. But you do need a guide or to know where you are going. If you are touring then tokachidake is the best spot.

Also be a little cautious with the non-Japanese market guiding companies. Some are good but some are pure charlatans with little or no avy training and not particularly strong skiers.

Old thread bump. Quick, heading to Japan tomorrow, skiing around Nagano (Myoko and Nozawa). Which skis should I bring? 194 Surface Balance (New Life)(mounted - 2 from dead center) or OG Spurs (mounted +2 from rec)?

Quote Originally Posted by lrn2swim View Post
    Old thread bump. Quick, heading to Japan tomorrow, skiing around Nagano (Myoko and Nozawa). Which skis should I bring? 194 Surface Balance (New Life)(mounted - 2 from dead center) or OG Spurs (mounted +2 from rec)?
    Spurs, but I haven’t skied the Surface Balance, or know much about it.

I got back from Hokkaido a week ago and spent 12 days on my Protests. They were too much ski for all but 2 days. I would of been just as happy on something 110-115 under foot, give or take a bit. If I was to go again I’d take Shiros, or +10 Freerides or BMX HP 105 or Blizzard Scouts.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Spurs, but I haven’t skied the Surface Balance, or know much about it.

I got back from Hokkaido a week ago and spent 12 days on my Protests. They were too much ski for all but 2 days. I would of been just as happy on something 110-115 under foot, give or take a bit. If I was to go again I’d take Shiros, or +10 Freerides or BMX HP 105 or Blizzard Scouts.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thanks for the advice. Surface Balance are stiff as hell, more so than the Spurs, flat underfoot with huge tip and tail rocker. About zero taper as you can see. As my main question revolves around that point. Taper or not? Semi flat tail or not? Also, for the record, I find the Spurs fairly easy to ski and maneuver in tight spots.