Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys

Need info: South Fork of the Snake, Idaho

A few buddies and I (+ girlfriends) have been looking forward to an overnight on the South Fork for quite some time now, but our trip leader just bailed on us. We're still "planning" on going next weekend, as we've already bought the necessary stickers and licenses, but we don't have a clue where we're going. From looking at BLM maps it looks like we have a ton of options though. Any recommendations for single overnight stretches (w/o motors)? Are there any particularly hazardous areas on the river we should avoid (hard boats)?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBuecking View Post
    ? Are there any particularly hazardous areas on the river we should avoid (hard boats)?
    Yes, the lower river. Stay above Byington ramp and you will be fine. Same goes for the camping. The take-out will be at Byington and the put-in depends on how long of a trip you want to do. All the campsites are located along the Conant Canyon stretch between Conant ramp and Byington ramp, an appx 24 mile float. The water levels are low and there are some sections of the float, in the second half, where the water pools up so slow that a strong headwind can hold you back so don't under estimate the "length" of this 24 miles when the river is at this level. Luftkin Bottom or Gormer Canyon campsites are near the end of the roadless section (about 10 miles into the trip) and either makes a good midway point campsite as both sites have the scenic "hole in the wall" cliff towering 1000 feet above them. Both sites tend to be picked clean of any firewood within a short walk but its there if you walk far enough. There's a little class I rapid about half a mile above Byington ramp but its just a wave train; then a 1/4 mile below the waves, hug the left side of the river because the ramp is sort of tucked away in some trees and appears suddenly. Get your shuttle at the fly shop at the South Fork Lodge, which shares the access point at the Conant ramp.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 10-20-2012 at 09:42 AM.

Thanks neckdeep, immensely helpful!

Fishing has been picking up! The shitty weather should get the browns going a bit.

I'd also add that there's a guiding principle for the SF: don't leave a nice school of feeding fish to go look for more fish. Work the hell out it, even if it means pushing downriver to make up time. The SF will almost inevitably give you some long stretches were not much seems to be happening and you'll have places to push. Just keep the eyes open for 1. a shallow flat and riffle producing BWOs above 2. some intermediate depth water located below the riffle and 3. adjacent to some "green water". When its on, a big school of trout will suddenly shift up from the green water into the slower moving intermediate depth water for the dry fly. You can also find schools of fish feeding in the tail outs of holes and in slow moving foam lines and foam pockets well below the riffle pour over; expect fish dining on #20 emergers to be in relatively slow water.

And stay in the channel. Water is too low for boating any side channels that are not drawing a substantial flow.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 10-20-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Looks like the weather will be rather rough for your float. I've been in there several times for duck hunting and fishing during early winter storms and its often great for both. The most incredible BWO hatch I've ever seen happened in Conant Canyon when the weather was so lousy that no other boats came past our campsite for two days. But we went in there with the plan to go to Pine Creek 5 and stay put for the duration of the storm with decoys set up in a slough across the river. We had time to set up a solid camp and gather a ton of dry wood before the storm arrived. It's a very different proposition to be pushing downriver and trying to fish during the stormy weather or setting up camp in the muck. The wind can be absolutely brutal in the lower canyon. Good luck.

Thanks for the heads up. Everyone in my group has decided that we ought to shoot for a nicer weekend...which will probably be next year. I guess there's something to be said about groups, and girlfriends.

Awwww...c'mon, you really haven't lived till you've spent a full day pushing into a 25mph headwind driving a sleet storm right into your face. There was one time we were arguing over who got to row because the guys sitting still were half froze to death.

Sounds like an epic in the making... I have also had that conversation many times - the rower is lower and mostly out of the wind, it's a sweet seat even if you are being blown back up river. The guy in front has it worst, and even if the fish are biting, it's hard to focus when you are frozen to death. Bring a little heater buddy - it works great to at least thaw your hands!

Probably a good call tho, especially with significant others, especially if you want to still be dating them after the trip. But I am crazy enough to go anyway - cast and blast sounds like an awesome combo.