Winter Fishing Gloves

Anyone have a waterproof set of gloves they like to use for winter fishing? I've got a pair of fingerless fleece simms mittens I use but want to look into something that is full fingered and waterproof.

Upstate NY is cold and miserable and I'm heading there in a few weeks.

Check out www.kastgear.com

I've been using some older prototype gloves from their R&D stage for a couple years. Nice gloves. Probably better now. A bit pricey tho.

Not waterproof but the patagonia R1 gloves keep digits warm when they get wet and cold.

This is a big problem for us out here and I have bought and tried many options.
    My fingertips get cold and then I start having less fun, even if catching.

Fleece, fingerless or cut a few tips off, is an absolute no go because we handle fish all the time and the fibers soak up the slime and begin to stink like a cat box full of offal.
    -plus when they get wet they stay wet and get cold fast

I tried a fingerless neoprene palm with a windproof fleece back that had a retractable mitten, although better the same issues arose in the end.

My latest and greatest experiment is with a pair of 2-3mm rubberized "neoprene" Glacier Gloves from Walmort. I realized that there was no way around getting them wet, so I embraced it and went with neoprene so they hold in the wet heat. I custom cut the fingertips off of the fingers I use for fishing (L-thumb, fore, middle / R-thumb and fore) and left the rest, this way I can still tie nots and have the line sensitivity I like for feeling soft mouthing hits. Plus they cost around $12. A few of my friends have now made their own custom set after seeing how well these work. (this weekend it rained to beat the band and I had the pruniest hands I've ever seen after spending the entire day out, it was fun!).
    + they don't stink anywhere near the other gloves I've tried

Good luck, warm hands and feet make a huge difference for me.
    -I also wear vapor barrier socks against my skin, Hydroskin from NRS
    Last edited by DeathVan; 10-17-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: fingertips cut on gloves

Great Responses! Thanks.

I looked at the kastgear, look nice but spendy.

The R1's are something to consider.

DV I saw those gloves messing around online, price is right might have to order a pair.

Agreed on the warm feet and hands. I've broken both ankles a couple of times and I definetly think my circulation is worse now. handwarmers stuffed in my socks really seem to help as well.

The fit is really important because they are kinda flompy and no two are exactly the same.

I tried on nearly every pair in the store before I decided on the one's that fit best. The palm is bunchy on some and takes a little getting used to when holding a rod but the benefits far outweigh the initial discomfort.
    *6-7 hours on Saturday in driving wind and rain fishing thigh high flats for coho, my hands were warmer than most of the rest of my body.

-so buy a few and return the rest, mix and match even (I did)

I fish several days a week all winter long in Wyoming and these are the best I found by far.
    http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/pr...viewAll=n&pg=1
    "and not when I come to die, discover that I have not lived"
    H.D. Thoreau

I never had a problem using the simms gloves/mittens and I intermittently switch them out for waterproof ski gloves if things get real bad. Normally I keep a couple hand warmers roasting inside my waders and I tend to not handle the fish that I catch, so I try to quick release in the net using hemos so I don't have to get my hands wet.

Also, waders with a chest pocket/warming pocket are a life saver!
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)