Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GoPro Hero 3.

GoPro Hero 3.

Just released/announced, tonight. Way to keep that one a secret GoPro (maybe I'm not plugged in to the right channels). 4 days after the Wifi app for the Hero 2 finally came out. At least I got mine on pro deal.

Specs I've seen on twitter are 1080p60 and 720p120.

Specs fully released at midnight I guess. They weren't live last time I checked.

Found these on vitalmtb- http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/feat...aign=spotlight

http://www.gopro.com

Shoots 4k, comes with a remote, but uses mini-SD cards...

3 new models is what i saw... the black has your mentioned stats... looks nice, will be expensive though.. like $400 I think I saw.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Here's the thing. These specs are blown out. People hear "1080p60" and they think "holy shit this shit shoots like $3K cameras". Then they hear "4K" and they're like "OMFG... A sub$500 cam that shoots 4K? Before that we had to pay 10's of thousands...".

There are $400 cameras that shoot 1080p60 and $100K that do too. They are playing on the nativity of consumers that are buying on what they don't know. Like assholes that think because their $200 phone can shoot 1080p means shit.

Answer me this folks... what does 1080p/4k have to do with the quality of video shot? Here's a hint folks... jack shit. 4K of scan lines off a shit tiny processor doesn't equal quality. I can draw 4,000 lines on my cock, it doesn't make me John Holmes.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

sweet rant ^

I think the bigger deal is the FPS. Many very expensive cameras do not offer you 1080p60 or 720p120. I've always thought the ability to get silky smooth slomo from the gopro was one of it's best features.

I wonder if the actual image quality has improved much, especially in low-light. I'm way too jong to strap one of these to a helmet but it'd be fun to throw one on my car and shoot some late-night canyon running stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    They are playing on the nativity of consumers...

I thought it was Jesus' nativity?

The best things in life aren't things.

Sweet auto-correct mistake catch bro

Here's the thing. These specs are blown out. People hear "1080p60" and they think "holy shit this shit shoots like $3K cameras". Then they hear "4K" and they're like "OMFG... A sub$500 cam that shoots 4K? Before that we had to pay 10's of thousands...".

There are $400 cameras that shoot 1080p60 and $100K that do too. They are playing on the nativity of consumers that are buying on what they don't know. Like assholes that think because their $200 phone can shoot 1080p means shit.

Answer me this folks... what does 1080p/4k have to do with the quality of video shot? Here's a hint folks... jack shit. 4K of scan lines off a shit tiny processor doesn't equal quality. I can draw 4,000 lines on my cock, it doesn't make me John Holmes.

I agree with what you are saying to a point, but you have to admit this is a step up for the gopro... the biggest thing I see is the higher frame rates to produce better slomo... cause we all need more slowmo. The 4k is only atg 15fps no? I don't know if 15fps is actually useful to me... and you are right, the 4k is a bit gimmicky...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

It's still a freakin' tinky-winky.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Fuck it. I'm just going to use my iPhone 5 when I get it. It's got 1080p. Just as good as a ........

Kind of cool statement taken from Abe K (usc ski team/gopro guy) over on NS

Just want to chime in here because I've actually used the HERO3 (helped develop it, and helped shoot/edited the HERO3 reel).

This is a BIG jump in technology from HERO2. Yes, you are right in that a company could toss on some scalers and shortcuts to get 4K or any size image they want so they can tout some fancy features that are buzzwords.

HERO3 is not that - you are working with a team of talented engineers and a daring young company that says, okay, we have a processor that can do x and a sensor that can do Y, should we enable 4K? Fuck it, do it.

1080-60 is native in the camera, so is 2.7K, so is 4K. In HERO2 720-30 isn't even native to the sensor, there's some processing shortcuts to get the image to where it is.

HERO3 is a huge leap in hardware technology, and is actually utilizing a very expensive sensor & processor to do the things it does.

Saw the announcement last night...was actually at a charity event with the founder of GoPro on Monday night but didn't get a chance to chat...oh well.

To me, 1080p@60fps is the selling point. But, I'd still rather wear a contour for SKIING, I just prefer the more stream-lined form factor. I just don't get the rectangular shape. For attaching to vehicles, planes, etc...why not GoPro?

Regardless of techy bullshit, the promo video is damn cool.

I agree with the contour shape..... But their newest release is a bit weak. 1080@30.... At least you get colour.

PS their release video sucks!!!!
    http://m.pinkbike.com/news/Contour-C...OAM2-2012.html

Sent from my parrott using TGR Forums
    That fly seems to like you!

Quote Originally Posted by justinspau View Post
    I agree with the contour shape..... But their newest release is a bit weak. 1080@30.... At least you get colour.

PS their release video sucks!!!!
    http://m.pinkbike.com/news/Contour-C...OAM2-2012.html

Sent from my parrott using TGR Forums
    Are we watching the death of a brand? Or are they just giving up on ever competing with GoPro and going after another market? (Seems like they're really pushing how it's "dead simple to use")

New camera looks amazing. For what it is, and the price, I don't think you can beat it. Plus the promo video got me so fired up!!

but 1080/60p scaled to 720 for final delivery might finally not look like shit

Even their promo trailer looks weak for 1080 but as a means to get a cleaner slowmo 720 video, I'm pretty excited. I mean shit, if it's approaching a 400 dollar handicam but with the ability to bolt it to things, that's worth something.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I'm not disagreeing with that. We'll have to wait and see. I deliver everything in 720p and the higher frame rates for te money seem awesome. We'll have to see if noise is an issue with boosting gain with such a high frame rate in anything but ideal lighting.

We'll have to see if noise is an issue with boosting gain with such a high frame rate in anything but ideal lighting.
    Oh yeah, I'm fully expecting it to look like poo, but for 300 bucks it's still pretty damn cool. I'm not going to go do a 4minute video with just gopro footage or anything.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I just got the Roam2 mainly because my old ContourHD was really showing its age.

Does anyone (skier666 I am looking at you) have a suggestion regarding placement of the helmet camera? On the side with the goggles? Up on the helmet? Somewhere else?

Even when I ski steep couloirs in the Eastern Sierra (Solstice, Bloody, etc.) it kind of looks like a bunny slope. Similarly, I feel I could be riding through the largest rock garden or hit the largest drop of my life and it still looks like I could have ditched my 8 inches of travel for a beach cruiser.
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

It's probably just cuz you shred so hard.

Gopros add 5 points instant steepness radness points just for future reference. You just bought the wrong camera.

That's the way footage works. You look at your monitor or teevee horizontally. Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post

That's the way footage works. You look at your monitor or teevee horizontally. Think about it.
    It's about the plane it's shot at as well... the TV being flat doesn't help either.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Newsflash: video doesn't accurately reflect reality.

After a year shooting a bunch of them I gained a lot more appreciation for sustained pillow lines in ski flicks.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Newsflash: video doesn't accurately reflect reality.

After a year shooting a bunch of them I gained a lot more appreciation for sustained pillow lines in ski flicks.
    Yes, I have the same feeling. After 3 years I am almost at the point where I don't even want to film anymore.
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)