Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    1. fritschi and dyanfit were about the same price 10 years ago, and they are the same price now, give or take. (~299 then, ~499 now).
    So Diamir ate the currency increase in the form of decreased margins........

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    So Diamir ate the currency increase in the form of decreased margins........
    bd distributes fritschi in the US. draw whatever conclusions you wish.

my .02 is that BD isn't doing it for free, and fritschi isn't either.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Last night, I heard that, although there is a Stockli US distributor, (which is a different guy/entity) from last year, not one new 2013 Stockli ski has made it to the USA. Draw whatever conclusion you want, but I don't think that any skis were sold to the US market this year.
    I'm learning a lot of interesting things here. I think that if the right person takes over Stockli USA, very interesting things can happen.
    Americans love to spend top $$$ for top quality Euro goods. LV, Porsche, Miele...I see no reason why Stockli would be different. I could see DV, Aspen, Sun Valley, etc. full of Stockli product. It just needs to be managed right.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

OK..... legit beta:

First, Why is Stockli not going? They are not invited. I have distributed Blossom Skis in the US/NA for the last couple seasons. I offered to ship skis to the Tests. I have been told that the skis that get in are a factor of 2 variants: performaance in prior tests & the % of market share.
    Needless to say Blossom did not get "in"

Second, I've been a tester. 90% of the skis are mass market crap. One year my wife was not allowed to test a few pair by a couple of reps as she was "too good" & skied in plugs. They were afraid of her comments of the flower power skis. The guys that let her on the gear, kindly asked that she ski the women's skis w/ her boots unbuckled. Some of the skis we've tested were scary at any speed. Other brands were just terrible, yet sell.

Third, Wifey was last an athlete for Stockli. They had a distributer out of Utah, Nick, this was 2-3 seasons ago. Pro deals & MAP were quite reasonable for the bulk of skis.

What has importing skis taught me? You go into it thinking that skiers will want the big guns, real deal models. Truth is that most skiers you sell to will seek a 160-170 cm ski.

As my pal Rob claims:

"the money is in the bunny"

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Last night, I heard that, although there is a Stockli US distributor, (which is a different guy/entity) from last year, not one new 2013 Stockli ski has made it to the USA. Draw whatever conclusion you want, but I don't think that any skis were sold to the US market this year.
    I'm learning a lot of interesting things here. I think that if the right person takes over Stockli USA, very interesting things can happen.
    Americans love to spend top $$$ for top quality Euro goods. LV, Porsche, Miele...I see no reason why Stockli would be different. I could see DV, Aspen, Sun Valley, etc. full of Stockli product. It just needs to be managed right.
    I may not tend to agree. See the above post for where I'm coming from. As an importer, all it takes is for a prime shop to go belly up or the factory to delay or be unable to fill & your stuck.

You can manage all fine until customs impounds your stock, stock arrives damaged or late, or you outsell the factory..........

Last night, I heard that, although there is a Stockli US distributor, (which is a different guy/entity) from last year, not one new 2013 Stockli ski has made it to the USA.
    Think you're partly wrong. Sites like Skiershop or DW are showing some 2013 models in stock right now, know the guys at Skiershop, they're not gonna list 12's as 13's. Other uniquely new 2013 models like the early rise VXL or the Y series not in U.S. yet, assume factory decided to make carryover models with existing molds like the TT and SR 95 first. Stockli's never been very quick to get its gear going here; it makes its bucks in Yrp.

Nick no longer has anything to do with Stockli USA.
    I'm interested to see how this plays out.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

SV is and has been for 10/15 years or so full of stocklis. bacca at waxroom sells them like hotcakes to old dudes who think 90 undefoot is a pow ski, pay $90 for a tune, and party late night(say 9:45) with michel rudigoz at the christy.

i liked my scot schmidts but would happily sell them to schindler for a song as they get no love in the quiver theses days
    one step forward, no step backward

As everyone has noted, the skis are awsome and I had fun with the ones I've owned. Great build and they are stupid fast. Stockli is a small company, focusing on the race heritage and Euro style, and the U.S. market isn't that important to them. I worked at a shop that sold them, or rather tried to. The price hurts, and our customers weren't willing to pay extra for a ski that they never heard of. The importers haven't done much to help either. Nick didn't do much with the brand, and the new guys don't have the money to bring in enough skis to fill the pre-season orders. There are some 2013s, but not many.

stockli makes some of the best skis out there bar none. most of the people who buy them buy them because of the reputation they have. i guess you could say they are like rolls royce...

but i have a few pairs and they are awesome skis. you cant go wrong with them

Hey...
    Stockli was not born as a premium brand in switzerland. They have always been perceived here in EU at the same quality level of blizzard and volkl. Now maybe many of the volkl are made in china with different quality, but I have had several stockli and their quality imho is exactly the same of blizzard (still made in the same factory), and of several other mid-sized, good quality brands. Everything else imho is just hype

You get what you pay for...

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    Think you're partly wrong. Sites like Skiershop or DW are showing some 2013 models in stock right now, know the guys at Skiershop, they're not gonna list 12's as 13's. Other uniquely new 2013 models like the early rise VXL or the Y series not in U.S. yet, assume factory decided to make carryover models with existing molds like the TT and SR 95 first. Stockli's never been very quick to get its gear going here; it makes its bucks in Yrp.
    You are right abut SkierShop and DW Skis. Both fine dealers.

Bought my first pair of Stocklis, 190 Lazer AX-Cs, from Bobbie at SkierShop in the late 90s. Great service and spent a lot of time with me. A bomb-proof ski. Fast & powerful, but subtle. Lots of fun. Then, bought a 183 Stormrider AT (grey) from Tom at DW Skis. He'll spend time with you, too. Really versatile ski. I still regret selling it. Like a GS on hard stuff, not bad in the bumps and surprised me how well a 73mm waist could go through/float off the bottom of pow. Then, bought a 194 FRY, which was weird at first. Flat underfoot that tapered to 1 1/2 degree base at tip and tail. Retuned it to 1 and 1. Really stiff and wanted to go straight. Not for me. Tried the 184 Pit Pro II, won it new on Ebay for $125 a few years back on Xmas Eve when no one was bidding. Way too soft and bouncy at speed on hardpack, but I'm 200 lbs. Bought a 186 Stormrider DP (90 waist & 29m) for $90 on Ebay that was tuned by the Start Haus in Tahoe. Fabulous ski. Could do anything. Great ski. Sold it to a Mag in Montana who loves it. I regret selling it.

Nick no longer has anything to do with Stockli USA.
    I'm interested to see how this plays out.
    I felt they never kept pace with the times for marketing purposes. Too top down and aloof in a very competitive US market. But, in their defense, they worked with a non-existent budget. If I could afford them, I'd buy some Stormriders in heartbeat.

If Stocklis share a quality, they are fast and smooth, never sketchy.

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    ...and their quality imho is exactly the same of blizzard (still made in the same factory)...
    Was under the impression that Blizzard and Nordica are made in the same factory, Mittersill, Austria; while Stocklis made at Wolhusen, Switzerland. Wrong?

1. noridca is currently owned by the tecnica group

2. pretty sure nordica is still made in italy @ blossom, or has that changed in the last 3 years?
    Last edited by marshalolson; 10-24-2012 at 07:46 PM.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Nordicas, Dynafits, Blizzards all come out of the same factory in Mittersill, Austria. Tecnica group owns Nordica and Blizzard, they just produce some (not sure if all) the Dynafits skis.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    Nordicas, Dynafits, Blizzards all come out of the same factory in Mittersill, Austria. Tecnica group owns Nordica and Blizzard, they just produce some (not sure if all) the Dynafits skis.
    If it's the same factory, the brands can still be different?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using TGR Forums

Are Salomons, Atomics, Armadas different? Are Elans and 4frnts different? Are Heads and Kastle's different?

I think Fischer is actually still the largest ski manufacturer. They make skis for just about everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    Was under the impression that Blizzard and Nordica are made in the same factory, Mittersill, Austria; while Stocklis made at Wolhusen, Switzerland. Wrong?
    I meant that blizzard (and nordica) are still made today in the same austrian factory, at variance with volkl that has many of their skis made in china. Yes the stockli factory is still in switzerland.
    Afaik, all dynafits are made by blizzard, but from a design team which is independent from blizzard/nordica.
    @marshal: blossom used to press for nordica and black crows, but not anymore

just because its the same factory does not imply:

they share same machinery, materials, build processes, components, designs, employees, QC standards, etc

crap rental skis are made in the same factory as vonn's and ligety's skis.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

My Stockli VXLs are my favorite ski ever. I'm adding some 95s to the quiver. SkiSharp in VT has reasonable prices for the skis, and great service. The VXLs are extremely well-made.

*** BUMP ***

I search functioned Jong and this is about the only thread I found on Stokli.

I am looking at some Stokli Stormrider 95's and was wondering if anyone here has actually skied them.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    *** BUMP ***

I search functioned Jong and this is about the only thread I found on Stokli.

I am looking at some Stokli Stormrider 95's and was wondering if anyone here has actually skied them.
    The old version 192cm pictured at the start of this thread is sort of like a modernized, damp sandwich version of a 190cm explosiv or narrower, curvier, very slightly milder version of a Head Monster 103 193cm, with the quality stockli feel, and subtle tip rocker.

Oh, and it's Stockli.

Thanks for your input, but I was looking for info on the current model.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I took them out for a test spin last season. Loved them. Granted, I'm an east coast beater but we did have some good packed powder coverage. I believe I tried them in the 184. I'm 6' (on a good day), 185lbs. Took them out for a few high speed rips and they railed. Took them through the bumps and they felt great, just the right amount of pop. Did not have the opportunity to test them in any pow but these skis are definitely on my radar. The biggest flaw is that the graphics don't match any of my wardrobe. I've been wearing a pair of Rossi E88's pretty thin as my go to everyday ski and I would happily switch over to the Stockli SR 95's.

I also really enjoyed the Atomic Vantage 90, 95 and 100's I demo'd that day. But man, those Stockli's ....

"Some folks may have the luxury to hold out for “the perfect.” But a lot of Americans are hurting right now and they can’t wait for that." - Hillary Clinton