Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Thanks for your input, but I was looking for info on the current model.
    Hummm. Looks like they've significantly lightened, softened and added sidecut to the ski, compared to it's rather burly ancestors such as the Asteroid, SR DP or SR SS. The green SR95 from the first post looks like the last pure balls to the wall sub-100mm waist Stormrider iteration, over the last few years they've been gradually toned down. These new ones sound like the mildest yet. 184cm longest length with a 9.2lb weight and 19.3m radius listed - that's not a whole lot of ski, very dentist friendly. Here's a review where it's compared with the Enforcer, which is a pretty mellow ski:

https://www.proskilab.co.uk/c/test-s...-mountain-5050

Here's a vid with some women (ex-racers) skiing the 175:

In contrast, the original SR DP from the early 00's was so stiff, damp and heavy that the 171cm could be comfortably skied by someone over 200lb, and the longer lengths (186, 194, and 201!!!) were quite a handful.

That said, not all Stocklis are brutally stiff and they can make a softer flexing ski that is precise and feels incredible. These new SR 95's might be fine in a 184 if you're under 180lb and not particularity aggressive.

So, what did you think of them when you skied them jonny?

"Some folks may have the luxury to hold out for “the perfect.” But a lot of Americans are hurting right now and they can’t wait for that." - Hillary Clinton

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    So, what did you think of them when you skied them jonny?
    Why would I bother skiing these? They're toys. Such a silly question.

I've skied Stockli for 15 years. I'll comment about them when and where I please.

anybody ever ski the laser GS, specifically the 2006 model (https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/stoc...gs-used-2006)?

Looking for a powerful groomer ski, and have a lead on a cheap pair of these. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    anybody ever ski the laser GS, specifically the 2006 model (https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/stoc...gs-used-2006)?

Looking for a powerful groomer ski, and have a lead on a cheap pair of these. Any thoughts?
    Should be pretty similar to any other raceroom sandwich GS ski, like a Head or Elan. This seem to be pre-27m sidecut rule of the late 00's, so they have far more sidecut than a modern GS ski with the 35m rule. I've seen some of the narrower stocklis go a bit limp and lose torsional stiffness and pop if they are skied a huge amount, so I'd be careful if they have a ton of days on them. Personally, I don't do much hardpack skiing on narrow skis anymore, I prefer a 85-90mm race construction, normal camber midfat with a bit of lifter. The older Stockli Stormriders with the 73mm or 75mm waist are also worth looking at as a GS carver.

One of my kids raced on a used junior pair of those GS for a couple of seasons. They railed.
    not counting days 2016-17

Thnx both, that is useful info.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post

Skied on those before settling on the laser cross pro; same core and construction but the cross has a wider tail (+~8mm). It worked better for me skiing the late line in the backseat.

I would compare it more closely to elan or head cheater skis from back then, not their real race stuff. They're quite a bit softer in the shovel than most gs ski, closer in flex to Salomon's equipe 2V from the same era, but insanely quiet on the snow, damped like a SG Ski until you come out of the end of the turn. Plenty of edge grip, but in a more user-friendly package.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stormrider.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	833.0 KB 
ID:	215042

Bump for my new skinny skis and first Stockli ever. Scored these 192's on fleaby for $265 still in the rapper. Pretty sure they are going to be fast and fun. The side profile of these are not what I would call modern. There looks to be just the slightest bit of rocker when the skis are de-cambered and with a kind of funny looking tiny curl to the tips, almost like some modern gs race skis.

Damn those look good in person. Take a pic in natural light!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Truckin-A!

Yeah, they are damn nice. Pretty heavy and stiff too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post

Bump for my new skinny skis and first Stockli ever. Scored these 192's on fleaby for $265 still in the rapper. Pretty sure they are going to be fast and fun. The side profile of these are not what I would call modern. There looks to be just the slightest bit of rocker when the skis are de-cambered and with a kind of funny looking tiny curl to the tips, almost like some modern gs race skis.
    I rode those SR95's from ~2012-2014 and sold them to a kid off EpicSki (RIP) who had no idea what he was getting. Actually made money on them after skiing them for two seasons. Have regretted the sale ever since as they were absolute rocket ships and took zero f%%ks. Fun, fast ski - but hold on as they are *not* comfy and do not put up with back-seat driving.

Name:  SR95.jpeg
Views: 722
Size:  17.7 KB

Name:	Stockli Family.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	215056
    Last edited by aragon; 11-02-2017 at 01:16 PM. Reason: add pics

Trolly snow is pretty much right about the new Stockli line. Those are from the last generation of real badass skis that Stockli made. The new ones are more comparable to Everything else on the market these days but with possibly higher construction standards and metal. But they flex soft.

I tried possibly 40-50 pairs of skis last year. Volkl/Dynastar/Black Crows etc. The best, most fun do anything ski was a Stormrider 95. I liked it so much I had to get a bunch of other people I know to try them (CSIA examiner types/Coaches/racers/ex-racers (provincial/national) and just rippers). Everyone raved about it. It reminded me of a friendlier but better skiing Legend Pro Rider (the original race room one).
    The fit and finish of the ski is probably the best of any brand I've seen recently.
    As of now it's not the biggest brand on our stores wall but between it and Black Crows it is the most talked about and the one that's leaving store at full price.
    Super stoked they are back in North America with support.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    I tried possibly 40-50 pairs of skis last year. Volkl/Dynastar/Black Crows etc. The best, most fun do anything ski was a Stormrider 95. I liked it so much I had to get a bunch of other people I know to try them (CSIA examiner types/Coaches/racers/ex-racers (provincial/national) and just rippers). Everyone raved about it. It reminded me of a friendlier but better skiing Legend Pro Rider (the original race room one).
    The fit and finish of the ski is probably the best of any brand I've seen recently.
    As of now it's not the biggest brand on our stores wall but between it and Black Crows it is the most talked about and the one that's leaving store at full price.
    Super stoked they are back in North America with support.
    That's awesome for people who can ski a 184 with a mellow flex, but it's too bad they dropped the 192.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post

Name:	stormrider.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	833.0 KB 
ID:	215042

Fuck! I just paid $300 for mine, shoulda lowballed 'em. They'll be here on Monday.

I keep skiing stocklis because people keep dumping the grown-up sizes on eBay for next to nothing. I've paid $300 or less for four pair of new stocklis. Pays to be tall some times.

Any thoughts on the 192 stormrider TT 110? Found a smoking deal on some.
    "Nothing like a very, very amorous woman in a leg imobilizer who dozes off every 3 1/2 minutes."
    -Notchtop

Not sure if this helps, but Stormrider 88 is a f'ng noodle. Based on 6 days skiing in almost all conditions, including hard pack and grabby week-old 'powder'. Almost lost my faith in Stockli.

Quote Originally Posted by Horu View Post
    Any thoughts on the 192 stormrider TT 110? Found a smoking deal on some.
    There is very little information online about that ski.

Sorry to give you incomplete / weak info -My friend, who was a Stockli dealer for a decade at his shop didn’t like them. He told me not to buy one the few pairs floating around online in the 192 length. He always liked Stockli because their skis ‘were badass and this pair isn’t.’

He’s also forgotten more about skiing then I’ll ever know so you should buy the pair and report back here!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    Should be pretty similar to any other raceroom sandwich GS ski, like a Head or Elan. This seem to be pre-27m sidecut rule of the late 00's, so they have far more sidecut than a modern GS ski with the 35m rule. I've seen some of the narrower stocklis go a bit limp and lose torsional stiffness and pop if they are skied a huge amount, so I'd be careful if they have a ton of days on them. Personally, I don't do much hardpack skiing on narrow skis anymore, I prefer a 85-90mm race construction, normal camber midfat with a bit of lifter. The older Stockli Stormriders with the 73mm or 75mm waist are also worth looking at as a GS carver.
    The 35M rule was changed last year. Now men's GS skis are 30M like the ladies. Lots of 35M skis being unloaded really cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by tipdive View Post
    Not sure if this helps, but Stormrider 88 is a f'ng noodle. Based on 6 days skiing in almost all conditions, including hard pack and grabby week-old 'powder'. Almost lost my faith in Stockli.
    Did you ski the older red and gray ones or the newer silver with blue/orange graphics version?

Quote Originally Posted by stearnsn View Post
    Did you ski the older red and gray ones or the newer silver with blue/orange graphics version?
    The newer ones, I believe it was MY 2017.

The word is they suffer from too much of Colin Chapman's influence...too much "lightness" added.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Fuck! I just paid $300 for mine, shoulda lowballed 'em. They'll be here on Monday.

I keep skiing stocklis because people keep dumping the grown-up sizes on eBay for next to nothing. I've paid $300 or less for four pair of new stocklis. Pays to be tall some times.
    I have had that green 95mm 184cm version for a few years. They are now backup as I like the Head Monster 98 more. To be honest, the Stockli isn't as stable as the Head. Its good to 95% of terminal velocity, but not old skool Legend Pro or Head Monster 98 speeds. These are all 18x sizes I'm riding and I'm 5'9" 160ish. The Stockli is super smoooth and damp. Likes high edge angles. More tip rocker than a Monster and more versatile than the Monster if there is any new snow because of that tip rocker.
    He who has the most fun wins!