Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Diesel Pickups

Diesel Pickups

I'm sure there have been previous threads on this. Fuck it, I didn't feel like searching.

I'm looking at getting a used 3/4 ton diesel for around $15k. I have a buddy who may or may not be ready to sell is early 2000's cummins in a couple months; 6 speed, low miles (for her age, probably around 140-150k by now) flat bed.

If it were available now, I would buy his dodge in an instant. Unfortunately ex-wives are getting in the way of him selling anything major at the moment, and my craigslist searches are coming up without many options.

What's the collective's thoughts on Dodge vs Ford vs Chevy? I would be looking for a manual transmission for what that's worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Ford 7.3L Powerstroke or Cummins 12 valve are your best bets for that price. I'm a Ford guy but you really can't go wrong with either of those. The F350 in manual is geared very, very low...great for pulling or hauling but you're pinning it at 70mph. On the flip side, mine gets 20-21mpg at 55mph.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Ford 7.3L Powerstroke or Cummins 12 valve are your best bets for that price. I'm a Ford guy but you really can't go wrong with either of those. The F350 in manual is geared very, very low...great for pulling or hauling but you're pinning it at 70mph. On the flip side, mine gets 20-21mpg at 55mph.
    ^ yep. But don't go for $15K - $10K ought to do it.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3338678250.html

Ive had an '03 Cummins 2500, 6 speed manual for about 8 months now. I love the cummins but could do without the Dodge wrapped around it. A lot of minor things going out all the time. Overall Im happy with it.

I'm in an '02 Excursion with the 7.3l diesel. It's my first diesel so my opinion probably isn't as relevant as others, but I've been seriously happy with the truck in pretty much every way since I bought it at the beginning of this year. At ~130000 miles the engine still feels rock steady. The interior is holding up great and there's not a single electrical gremlin hiding anywhere. Find a relatively low mileage 7.3l Ford and you ought to be set for quite a while.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

As soon as I can get a 3/4 ton Toyota diesel I will, or yota w/ cummins. Until then we have to live with what dodge gives us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    As soon as I can get a 3/4 ton Toyota diesel I will, or yota w/ cummins. Until then we have to live with what dodge gives us.
    I don't think I'd go for a big jap truck with a deisel, but I'd love one of the little ones.

Dodge gives us a lot. I run my truck hard as hell and it never talks back.

I'm thinking of buying a 3/4 ton crew cab in the next 12/18 months for 5th wheel towing an RV. I've been wondering how many miles I can expect to get out of a well maintained 3/4 ton diesel truck. Spending $40K+ on a vehicle with over 60K miles seems like a bad investment to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    I'm thinking of buying a 3/4 ton crew cab in the next 12/18 months for 5th wheel towing an RV. I've been wondering how many miles I can expect to get out of a well maintained 3/4 ton diesel truck. Spending $40K+ on a vehicle with over 60K miles seems like a bad investment to me.
    Maintenance costs are going to be higher, but a well maintained Cummins can go half a million miles easy.

That being said, you shouldnt be looking at 40k for a used one, maybe high 20's to low 30's. Unless you want the top dog Laramie edition, but that seems a bit Brokeback to me...
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    Unless you need the fancy stuff, you should be able to get a new deisel 3/4 ton for $40K or just slightly more. There are lots of good deals on used used trucks if you just need a beater work truck, but spending real money on a used vehicle of any kind is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    Unless you need the fancy stuff, you should be able to get a new deisel 3/4 ton for $40K or just slightly more. There are lots of good deals on used used trucks if you just need a beater work truck, but spending real money on a used vehicle of any kind is absurd.
    A new 3/4 ton 4x4 crew cab with diesel is approaching well into the high 40s before you add any options. And yea all the leather, heated seats etc are a little brokeback but I plan on using it for long family road trips not "work".

A simple cars.com search shows plenty of trucks for under 40k. No leather though, so you might want to lube up first.
    Live Free or Die

Either buy a new diesel under warranty, one of the few reliable older models (mentioned above), or just buy a 3/4 ton gasser. I live somewhere that people actually use their heavy dutys and you constantly hear horror stories about 3-4-5-6-7K repair bills on diesels of all brands with under 200K. Injectors, head gaskets, turbo...all of it. Maintenance costs on newer diesels undermines any benefits they have IMO.

Ive got a 7.3 Powerstroke
    I hate the sound of those Cummins,too loud, pretty irritating
    all hat no cattle
    Last edited by MiCol; 10-17-2012 at 08:01 PM.
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

I got a 7.3L Power Stroke (2000) for sale if you want it.. It's in the valley in CA though.

Listed at 10,999 right now. 217,xxx miles but these things run forever, and this has always been taken care of, never broken down, hasn't needed nay major components replaced, etc.

For reference, I bought my 1996 F350 crew cab 7.3L 4x4 with 146K miles on it for $6K. It's bone stock, bench seats and manual transmission, roller windows, etc. but also mechanically bomber. It's been a great truck.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Either buy a new diesel under warranty, one of the few reliable older models (mentioned above), or just buy a 3/4 ton gasser. I live somewhere that people actually use their heavy dutys and you constantly hear horror stories about 3-4-5-6-7K repair bills on diesels of all brands with under 200K. Injectors, head gaskets, turbo...all of it. Maintenance costs on newer diesels undermines any benefits they have IMO.
    This is true. Another advantage to the older Cummins and 7.3L's is that they're relatively cheap to fix (still expensive next to older gassers, though). I can only speak to the Fords, but after 200K, some possible issues are injectors, turbo pedestals and HPOP's. Definitely count on glow plugs and tranny/clutches.

Ever see a Dodge tow truck? There's a reason you don't...

I love the sound of a powerstroke at idle. There's a Ford mechanic that has some great youtube videos on what to look for on a used one.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Frame weakness?

Spent the last 5 years driving all over the west with a Sprinter (140000 miles), added a 2006 Duramax GMC last week, to tow an extra tall 14 foot cargo trailer over the same routes. Counting on better towing milage than a gasser and peace of mind climbing out of NV into CA in 110 degree temps.

Went Duramax for the Allison tranny, and the independent front supension, better on the road. Got a 2006 with 92000 miles, ext cab, long bed with hard tonneau, trailer brake and air bags for 22000. Just put 2000 miles on it and loved how it drives on the interstate. 17 mpg at 78mph with Goodrich radial T/A's, hope to do better with highway tires.

Picking up my trailer in Indiana this week, plus a japanese Kei van in Ohio- putting it in the trailer and driving it back to WY next week.

To the OP there is a 04 Duramax (LLY motor) in Whitefish- reg cab,long bed with airbags and on board compressor, 56000 miles for under 20K, you can find it on Cars.com.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Yeah, only toothless dumbfucks drive Fords. :FM:

The factual answer here is that Ford trucks have a higher payload weight than any other truck on the market.

If you're not FULLY loaded down all the time like 99.9% of the rest of people that drive trucks, cummins or allison/duramax combos are a better option.

I get 20mpg with my cummins...and it has an 8" lift, 37's and a sled deck.......which blows by powerjokes on I-70 doing 90mph with a sled on baCK up the Georgetown hill.

Gay,retarded,unsecure,unloved,or.....

a ford driver.

Or Blurred Dodgin his scout master.