Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    you know whats even cheaper?

not buying any of that shit
    Yeah right, I'm gonna let my kids poo all over themselves and not buy milk/cheese that's 1/2 off when I go to buy my snow tires that are almost 1/2 off too. Sometimes that whole minimalist hippy mentality is just a bunch of smug, bullshit feelgood rhetoric.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    nope. I'm sure if they knew I had bought $1k worth of new tires, it would be a different story, but they didn't ask for receipts. Just looked in the bed, saw a bunch of diapers, toilet paper and other costco sized items and told me to have a nice day.
    lucky you, the last few times the lady and I have been south for biking/camping vacations we've got the direct check out of tires and ask "did you buy new tires?"

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    Hagen's? or Haggen's??? That's the awesome store we always hit on the way up to WB. Their take&bake pizza rules...
    I believe the correct spelling is "overpriced".
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    I believe the correct spelling is "overpriced".
    Maybe a little, but it's my go-to grocery store. I'm not a huge fan of either Safeway or Fred Meyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Even then though, Canadian gas and beer weren't cheap.
    Plus don't forget that the Canadian beer was and is no good either... and that their gasoline is metric, so you have to have your car converted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    lucky you, the last few times the lady and I have been south for biking/camping vacations we've got the direct check out of tires and ask "did you buy new tires?"
    seems like a tough burden of proof on the border agents... they could always go all waterboarding on you though til you fess up.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Yeah right, I'm gonna let my kids poo all over themselves and not buy milk/cheese that's 1/2 off when I go to buy my snow tires that are almost 1/2 off too. Sometimes that whole minimalist hippy mentality is just a bunch of smug, bullshit feelgood rhetoric.
    Come on bro, urban farming is in, get a cow, milk that shit, make cheese.

What you don't know how to make your own tires from a rubber tree? Sell out.

The correct answer to that question is always "no, sir. I did not". Probably hard to say with a straight face when all I can smell is fresh rubber when I roll down the window, but he didn't ask. Even if they did charge you HST, it's still a few hundred cheaper and well worth the trip when you combine in the pallets of stuff from Costco that will likely last the better part of a year. I think it also helps to hit it on a busy weekend when all they really want to do is just move vehicles through and keep the traffic jam to a min.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Maybe a little, but it's my go-to grocery store. I'm not a huge fan of either Safeway or Fred Meyer.
    I would drive right by there when the same brand of half and half was $2.99 versus $1.79 at Trader Joes.
    Living vicariously through myself.

The correct answer to that question is always "no, sir. I did not". Probably hard to say with a straight face when all I can smell is fresh rubber when I roll down the window, but he didn't ask. Even if they did charge you HST, it's still a few hundred cheaper and well worth the trip when you combine in the pallets of stuff from Costco that will likely last the better part of a year. I think it also helps to hit it on a busy weekend when all they really want to do is just move vehicles through and keep the traffic jam to a min.
    yeah maybe, just weird that we've always been asked that in the middle of summer, not during prime new snow tire season...maybe they were just bored.

no but how about the 60" bigscreen to replace the 50" you bought last year to replace the 32 inch you bought the year before ?

how much stuff do people buy that is just more stuff?

Localy the reason we all think Walmart should go out at the " telkwa mall " is that the telkwa mall is the widely used name for the garbage dump SO folks could buy useless stuff and take it straight to the dump across the street instead of having to take it all the way home

But you're all ok with the Walmart right?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Plus don't forget that the Canadian beer was and is no good either
    Ha! That's laughable. I like it a lot better than American beer....but yeah, costs way too much. Pretty sad when I can buy a case of Kokanee for 1/2 the price it is here, just 45 minutes away.
    "if it's called tourist season, why can't we just shoot them?"

yeah maybe, just weird that we've always been asked that in the middle of summer, not during prime new snow tire season...maybe they were just bored.
    Or maybe they just saw the USA country of orgin on my perm res card and realized I was going to look em in the eye and lie right through my teeth about it, so not worth their time. They know Canuks are honest to a fault.

Quote Originally Posted by nesta View Post
    laughable...Kokanee
    laughable alright.

still better than most of the swill you guys call beer. which is why I buy it when I cross border shop, as it's usually one of the only Canadian beers you see down there.
    "if it's called tourist season, why can't we just shoot them?"

All mass-produced beer in North America is swill, but there are over 2000 breweries in the US. And IIRC BC has some good independent brewers too: Crannog, Nelson, Tree, Granville Island...

These days, there's no excuse for drinking shitty beer - no matter which side of the border you're on.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    These days, there's no excuse for drinking shitty beer - no matter which side of the border you're on.
    plus Bud Light Platinum is 6.0%, and tastes like seltzer. Beat that Canada!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    And IIRC BC has some good independent brewers too: Crannog, Nelson, Tree, Granville Island...
    WHen you can get it. It's more difficult to get/find a good beer in Canada though.. compared to US or more particularly WA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

^^^ agreed.

I actually didn't think you were serious in the first post - tgr meme and all.

Sitting in a hudge line up
    It's official--we've lost him. Will have to tell the folks back in Boston that we're sowrry, but it's aboot time after so many years.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    no but how about the 60" bigscreen to replace the 50" you bought last year to replace the 32 inch you bought the year before ?
    You're spending too much time at pow11's house.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    plus Bud Light Platinum is 6.0%, and tastes like seltzer. Beat that Canada!
    And it changes between an ale and a lager based on what state you are in!

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    You're spending too much time at pow11's house.
    I just wish he would buy better cheese and decent beer

yeah so...i now avoid ever going to bakerview fred's or trader joes before 9pm. otherwise it is an insane shitshow.

just last night i was at bakerview freds and as i saw some canucks loading about a dozen gallons of milk into their trunk, they had a 5 gallon gas can too.

i always wondered why the border doesnt hit them with import tax? seems weird...

i went to whistler a fair amount this summer and would usually have no line in the direction i was going, and saw massive 1.5 hour lines in the other direction at the boarder. (Sb in the AM and NB in the PM)