Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Still pretty handy with a maul.
    Maybe so, but you're no Iceman
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Ha. I got all that way after hearing "Old Friends" by Simon & Garfunkle a couple of weeks ago. I went into a bit of a funk.
    ex friends will do that, don't they.

There's nothing like a wood stove for fighting that northwest damp weather.
    So tr00.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

ugh....
    summer, fall I was too busy having fun to do my wood gathering. Now it's mid-October, cold, raining and I've got to get at er. So today I'll take out some standing and fallen dead alder in the yard and start making the pile. Usually I can get by with 3 cords for the winter (small house not too intensely cold here in the winter). I keep telling myself it beats hitting the gym....
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

This year didn't have a lot of time so only added ~ a cord to the shed, so shed is back up to ~7 cords. Only used 2 cords last year but was only there on weekends, so be interesting to see what we burn this year. All our wood is wood off property from orignal clearing so 60% popular and 40 % pine, so pine is my good long burning wood. People turn their noses up at popular but if its dry it burns hot and gets everything up to temp fast , then throw in some pine for a longer burn. Mixing up pine and popular stops creasote build up.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

People turn their noses up at popular but if its dry it burns hot and gets everything up to temp fast , then throw in some pine for a longer burn.

Heh heh wood snobs.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

I don't know what kind of popple you're talking about, but the stuff I've burned (mostly cottonwood) does not burn hot, but it burns quick and leaves a lot of ash.

My old man's favorite was madrone. Long hot burn and not much ash. I remember it often being a bitch to split though.

Cottonwood is not popple or alder. Cottonwood around the PNW is possibly the worst wood I've ever tried to burn.

PNW alder, which is similar to the popple I remember from the north midwest, is gopher wood: you put one in and gopher another. It does burn fast, I'll give it that, but I actively avoid the stuff if there's any other alternative.

Madrona? Yikes, I feel bad when I burn wild PNW cherry.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Popular does seem to produce more ash and from what I've seen if its nice and dry burns fast. Now would I cut it and move it ? Would have to be free and volume wise not constrained as there is not a lot of heating value per volume. But its its dry it weighs nothing. I think all wood has the same heating value once its dry per unit weight.

Cottonwood , I burn it as there was some but not a lot. Its the only wood that I have to split and its a pain to split if its at all wet. The bark holds all the moisture in so if you don't split it ,it will never dry. Once its dry it seemed to burn well but then again the stove also had some popular and pine in with it.

The popular here I think is aspen. If its nice and dry it puts off lots of heat and if the cabin is down to 5-10 C starts quickly and ok in a 30 -45 minutes you throw in a mixed mix of popular ( aspen) and pine. If I didn't burn it in the stove I would have burn it in a bonfire or many.

Actually we have a neighbour who had 4 arces cleared and ended up with a truck load of popular. Somebody picked it up as they had a stove flue that was cooling down too much and there were deposits of creosote. For us burning a mixture works to stop any creosote build up.
    Last edited by DougW; 10-14-2012 at 01:46 PM.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Cottonwood is not popple or alder. Cottonwood around the PNW is possibly the worst wood I've ever tried to burn.

PNW alder, which is similar to the popple I remember from the north midwest, is gopher wood: you put one in and gopher another. It does burn fast, I'll give it that, but I actively avoid the stuff if there's any other alternative.
    Yes it is. Alder is a different species altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    I cut and split 6 cords last month. You're going to do 30? Right......
    Not me alone. Me and another guy. I've got plenty for my shack - I'm talking about heating a barn that's been converted to an animal shelter. Don't have to split it. You can basically cut down a live tree, buck it into 3 foot sections and throw it right in. I don't even think in terms of cords - we basically need to put up three shitloads.

I've got a normal little woodstove for my shack. And propane.

Got 4 cords in right now, cherry and locust mix. Had all new efficent windows installed so I hope that will be plenty.

On a side note we cut a shit load of wind damaged trees on my buddies mtn property. The ski runs were in pretty good shape but the road/skin track was a mess with the worst wrapped and bound up trees from wind damage I have ever seen. Pretty amazing to watch my buddy chainsaw it all apart without getting hurt/killed.
    watch out for snakes

I haven't had to worry about firewood since my teens living with my parents. Believe it or not I actually miss those times and the hard work. I took way less for granted than most kids because my parents made me earn my keep.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

I did fire wood in the spring for Burnie hut after the last week of winter& spring touring, in spring all the wood for the next season can be moved by snow machine which is cheaper than the alternative ... a jet ranger

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/...ws/reviews.htm

Any hand splitting I ever did sucked ^^ if you got 110V power an electirc splitter is WAY better

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/...ws/reviews.htm

Any hand splitting I ever did sucked ^^ if you got 110V power an electirc splitter is WAY better
    12.5 inch diameter log capacity? why bother with a splitter if the logs are that small?

Fun cutting today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photos2.JPG 
Views:	231 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	122810

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1350255158.228448.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	215.1 KB 
ID:	122778

Name:	photos6.JPG 
Views:	238 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	122812

Keeping it spicy. A bunch of stuff in the air. Fun to buck. One of these bigguns tried to roll on top of me. Got most of it on the ground so I can go back and get the big stuff tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photos1.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	122809   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photos4.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	122811  
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 10-14-2012 at 09:42 PM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I split a bunch of 18" rounds with that splitter and it worked fine in fact it split everything we cut, they have a 2speed ram faster/less power or slower/more power for larger rounds, look at the customer reviews it averages 4 out of 5 because Using an electric splitter is WAY FASTER WAY LESS WORK in fact any 98 lb weakling can split wood as long as they can lift them onto the machine so the guide can bring in any of his buds and feed him a few beers to run to the splitter

In the case of a ski hut where everything has to flown in at huge expense the electric splitter is lighter to fly in and runs off the generator which also tops up the batteries and runs other electrical shit while you split

Not having another motor to deal with/fuel like those gas powered splitters which are usually on a trailer is also a plus

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Fun cutting today.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1350255158.228448.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	215.1 KB 
ID:	122778
    Keeping it spicy.
    Your not falling it to burn this year are you?

No. That's money in the bank. Water flows out of it. Found a stash of excellent down-and-dead tamarack. Some obviously fell in last year's big blow. Some is a few years old. That will sit for a year or two. The older stuff could go in the stove tonight.
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 10-14-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    My old man's favorite was madrone. Long hot burn and not much ash. I remember it often being a bitch to split though.
    Madrone is awesome. I used to get some of that when I lived in Humboldt County. Seriously heavier than shit though.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1350260161.197897.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	122789
    This will split with a butter knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post

I've got a normal little woodstove for my shack. And propane.
    And that keeps the sheep happy?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

No. That keeps the sheep warm. Jer keeps the sheep happy.

firewood is like anything - it's the perception of value that matters, not actual cost - I really enjoy cutting firewood, so it has a high value to me

I scored some very good softwood, so I'm all over it - tamarack burns clean and hot - cuts easy when green - splits easy when seasoned - tougher to split when green - tougher to cut when seasoned

hardwood is harder to cut for around here - I usually buy a cord or two of oak or almond to augment what I cut - almond is easy to find at orchards in the valley, and is usually a few bucks less for me to haul than to have oak delivered

I find I need 2 or 3 cords of softwood and a cord+ of hardwood every year - with all the tamarack I've cut recently, I can probably stand down for a year or two and just cut or buy hardwood as needed

but I found such a good source I don't think I can stand down - must cut more wood

The chainsaw thread

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Love the workout, but the constant bending down is torture on my old carcass.

A trick I learned. Put a tire on your chopping block, put wood you are going to split in the tire, when you split the wood it won't fall on the ground, it will stay up on the block in the tire. Worth a try.

Attachment 121381

firewood sculpture

www.woodheat.org is a good site for newbies

firewood calculator helps you figure out how much you've cut, bought, sold, poached, etc

if you cook with wood go here
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 10-14-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Forest Service and Fish & Game were out in force today.

Saw one convoy of hunters who looked like maybe they were in a bit of trouble with F&G and FS. Also one regular woodcutter I see out in the world a lot who didn't have tags on his load when stopped by Smokey.

No worries for me.