Page 47 of 63 FirstFirst ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1556
    ^I actually mentioned those. He said they can all hold quite a bit of moisture.

Glad I clicked on this thread.
    I'm a chainsaw neophyte.
    Own a 20" bar Stihl Farm Boss. Have yet to fell a tree, though. So far I've only bucked rounds with it (I have a buddy who works for one of the major tree cutting/trimming companies in the area, so he usually hooks me up with rounds).
    I was totally unaware of the single use, pre-mixed fuel options. I usually only buck for perhaps a week total every year, so mixing my own fuel seems to be rather wasteful.
    Thanks for the heads up on that.
    Now just gotta find out where to purchase it!
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

buy pre-mix fuel at hardware store. is your local buddy a ski school instructor?

thanks for recs on the foam. i'll look at that more closely. this was a pretty awkward dead limb that i tried to clean-up and saw the the rot gets down there. would hate for this to be the source of water and rot for the oak. it's a neat little multi-limbed one. my tree friend, who could easily help and answer my questions, left town. not sure when he'll be back.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    I would think Mountain Hardware would have it. Not cheap, but sounds like you don't need much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I'm a chainsaw neophyte.
    Own a 20" bar Stihl Farm Boss. Have yet to fell a tree, though. So far I've only bucked rounds with it (I have a buddy who works for one of the major tree cutting/trimming companies in the area, so he usually hooks me up with rounds).
    I was totally unaware of the single use, pre-mixed fuel options. I usually only buck for perhaps a week total every year, so mixing my own fuel seems to be rather wasteful.
    At least around here, pretty much any hardware store will have cans of premixed fuel. Just make sure you're buying the right ratio (50:1).

I'm a chainsaw neophyte.
    Won't you go through at least a gallon bucking wood for a week? I usually save the Stihl brand pre-mix and use it for the last tankful so it's the last gas to go through the engine. For small jobs the pre-mix makes sense. That stuff is expensive. Bucking wood for a week doesn't sound small to me, unless I am misunderstanding you.

Do you need to buy refi mixed fuel cuz it's so bad in your area ?

I mix 5 or 10 litres of premium at a time and splash in some stabilizer before winter to run thru the saw

Any fuel that's left over I pour in the truck
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

I mix 5 or 10 litres of premium at a time and splash in some stabilizer before winter to run thru the saw

You run mix in your truck???

You can put old mix in your gas tank along with other fuel and it’s fine. Same thing with old white gas. It’s really no big deal.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    You can put old mix in your gas tank along with other fuel and it’s fine. Same thing with old white gas. It’s really no big deal.
    Yup, dumping a gallon in a full tank once in a while ain't gonna hurt nothing.

On that subject mixing diesel into gas at 1:10 ratio makes old engines that were designed to run on leaded fuel wear and run a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    You run mix in your truck???
    A few litres of left over 50:1 in the tank of a truck will be so diluted during fill-up at end of season it isn't going to hurt the truck

But keeping it around and trying to use it in the saw the next year will

It's a hi performance engine so nothing but the best fresh fuel, clean air filter, sharp chain, clean out sawdust after every day of use and you won't have problems
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

sorya on that note ->

Few years back I accidentally dumped a full tank of bar oil into the gas tank of one of my saws and tried to fire it.

After I realized what I did I dumped it all out filled with gas. It started second pull and ran like normal aside from a little smoke at first.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    sorya on that note ->

Few years back I accidentally dumped a full tank of bar oil into the gas tank of one of my saws and tried to fire it.

After I realized what I did I dumped it all out filled with gas. It started second pull and ran like normal aside from a little smoke at first.
    BTDT. Took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out what I’d done. Then I was embarrassed.

Done that
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Did some splitting yesterday with a hydraulic splitter:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2162.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	300957

A lot left to do:

Name:	IMG_2163.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	300958

Grub:

Name:	IMG_2158.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	300959

I finished cutting wood in the national forest for the year. Now it's time to split it for the winter. Around here I've notice a trend in the last few years that I'm getting more maple and less Oak than I have in the past. I also found a nice black cherry tree that I'll take next year for smoking after it seasons for another year.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Did some splitting yesterday with a hydraulic splitter:

Name:	IMG_2162.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	300957

A lot left to do:

Name:	IMG_2163.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	300958

Grub:

Name:	IMG_2158.jpg 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	300959
    Lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    ...Around here I've notice a trend in the last few years that I'm getting more maple and less Oak than I have in the past...
    Do you know there's been unrest in forest? Trouble with the trees?

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Lunch.
    I was thinking about that....

Been trying to grab a couple loads when it's been nice lately. Prob have plenty for winter but wouldn't mind getting ahead. It's almost too easy at the new place. 5 min drive, great views(ski hill and pintlers), and tons of standing dead and blow down. Of course mostly pine around here.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191114_150302.jpeg 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	302348

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

Now does the premixed fuel have a shelf life? 1 year- 2 ? Would think about having some on hand for winter use if it really had a long shelf life.

I do the pour the last of the summer mixed into car in the fall plus any of the remaining non mixed 91 I had making mixed or for summer uses like pressure washer. Never have more than a liter of mixed as try to do some fall clean up goods to use up as much as possible.

Though if I mix fresh gas in fall I will keep it over winter and try to use it up in early in spring as possible. As the engine oil has fuel stabilizer in it seems to work ok.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Who is cutting wood?

California-based, world of ethanol-mixed fuel at all gasoline stations....

I have been using premix that is several years old w/o problems in my blower, wacker, and saws. This was based on recommendations from one of the local small engine shops. I keep it as back-up if I run out of ingredients of my self-made mix.

Yesterday, I made the transition in my tools from 91-based self-made mix to av fuel-based self-made mix.

I’m glad we’re finally transitioning to wet weather here! .... back to stacking and covering wood.

I finished splitting and stacking the wood I cut this fall for the winter. I should have plenty of firewood to last the winter.