Page 50 of 63 FirstFirst ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1556
    Those have been really helpful for me bucking logs where they fell, for instance clearing ski runs. They can help moving or raising a log that’s heavy or in an awkward place, or rolling one to finish your cut to keep your chain out of the dirt. I’ve used the simple kind, called a peavey.

By far most of what I cut these days is piñon and juniper but I’d i was dropping and/or bucking anything from around 18 inches up, I’d get one.

Thanks. I’ve used a peavey before too, mainly for rolling medium to big (>36”) logs/trunks. It was really helpful, but it was a borrowed tool that I gave back. I have 100s of smaller Doug fir and incense cedar logs. The timberjack seems helpful to get the logs off the ground for quicker bucking. Not sure if I was missing something about the tool and they are more trouble than they’re worth or something....

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I have a ton of log bucking to do for the next few years.

Anybody use a timberjack or this multi tool thing?

www.thelogox.com/products/logox-3-in-1

How helpful are they?
    Price check on northerntool.com, likely less than the link you have.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Thanks. I’ve used a peavey before too, mainly for rolling medium to big (>36”) logs/trunks. It was really helpful, but it was a borrowed tool that I gave back. I have 100s of smaller Doug fir and incense cedar logs. The timberjack seems helpful to get the logs off the ground for quicker bucking. Not sure if I was missing something about the tool and they are more trouble than they’re worth or something....
    Oh, gotcha. No, I’ve never used one of those timberjack things.

What seems like a plus of some of the timberjacks that I’ve seen is that they can also function as a peavey.

wowzers
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Damn!

Also finally got around to getting my firewood permit and found out it's still free for up to 12 cords in MT, they just want you to actually have a permit again. Did 2 trips and prob cut a little over a cord. Only like 5 or 6 more.....at least.

Made some sawdust tonight; first flurries are in the forecast by Monday night!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05BDF267-E7DF-42F1-AA1F-18B030A61F80.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	339066
    Buy the ticket...take the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyBill View Post
    Made some sawdust tonight; first flurries are in the forecast by Monday night!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05BDF267-E7DF-42F1-AA1F-18B030A61F80.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	339066
    Looks like you guys may be spared the smoke!

Give a holler if the fire jumps and you need a hand; your co-worker has my #.

Can someone explain how they go out and gather firewood? This is my first year cutting firewood to heat my house and I am completely beat at the end of the day. I see flatbed pickups traveling down the highway that are full of rounds at like 2 cords. I know I'm limited because I am currently using a small saw that I'm borrowing from the father-in-law and a tacoma to haul it, so I get about 1/2 cord per day, but that's about all I can imagine collecting. I usually just go out into the mountains and find windfallen lodgepole and red fir and then cut them into 6' or so long logs and haul them back to the truck on my shoulder one at a time from about 10 yards or a little more. After I gather about a 1/2 cord, I cut those into 15" or so rounds and load them into the truck. Doing this, I can't figure out how people could ever go out and get 2 cords in a day. Are there ways to make this more efficient or are these people just more manly than I am?

A lot of those guys are probably finding stuff real close to the road. A lot of those trucks probably have two guys in them too. I was like you when I used to heat with wood, I'd go out and fill a truck bed and be beat. Once in a while though we'd get a few guys to go out and it was pretty easy to get excited and wind up with more wood then we had truck bed for. Then we would be beat after getting it all home.

It’s way easier to make 5 easy trips carrying a 15” round than one carrying a 6’ log....

If you’re beat after filling a Tacoma bed with half a cord you’re soft. I’m not dissing you but that’s nothing. Do you ever do any other manual labor?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yep, cut close to road, drag out with a cable/towrope if possible. The tacoma is nice in that regard on narrow forestry roads if you don't have some kind of winch. I would never carry log length if you can help it, cut them to rounds and toss to the ditch. And if the saw is too small, or dull, bar too short, etc, get a bigger saw and a new chain - make the saw do the work.
    When work was slow in the winter in a former life, my little toyota p/u would trundle out 12cords a season, 1/3 of a cord at a time. Those were from honeyholes close to town however.

Running saw to cut ski run is the hardest thing I had ever done, after a 6 hr shift i would shut the saw off and pop an extra strength robaxecet before everything seized up, we weren't even collecting the wood, just dropping it flat for the new ski runs but 10 days of that and by ski season I was in skiing shape

A couple of pretty tough first nation bro's cut truck loads or shovel snow or any number of hard labor jobs in town but they don't have too many options to make money, can you do another job that pays you well and just buy wood delivered ?

also when you add up gas/ wear n tear on truck & saw how much do you save cutting your own and then you also gotta split it ?

GF just had 2 cords of split dry delivered for 480 $, Lars told me " yeah I was at work so the wife did it today " she ain't actualy that manly, lars buys logs by the 7 axle truck load, she just ran the firewood processor which cuts to length/ splits perfectly/ drops the wood right into the 3 axle trailer, so maybe there is an easyier less painful way to collect wood ... pay someone ?

I own a industrial grade saw did all that cutting for ski passes but for home heat I burn gas
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-06-2020 at 10:59 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Crib full, so about 3+ cords for the winter, about 2 cords of maple which doesn't split very well and 1 cord of doug fir which splits so well.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Alright cool, thanks for the tips! I like being out doing it and the conditioning from the hard work is great, so I don't see myself paying for someone to deliver it. Unless I just get too short on time. I'll keep at it and see what happens.

when you work that hard make sure you drink lots of water and you won't feel as bad

GF and I used the big wheel barrow like in the pict^^ and we didnt feel near as bad stacking the 2 cords of delivered wood ...a big labor saver

back when I did collect wood I liked transporting it in 6ft logs cuz they were easier to stack in a PU or trailer bed , bucking/splitting at home, we were towing a big trailer with roomey's f-350 on a muddy road, coincidently a week later the transfer case blows, be careful about overloading the equipment
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

What kind of flatbed truck are you seeing carrying 2 cords? That’s 8’x8’x16’

dood that's 8 cords - double one of those measurements to get 2 cords - fkn basic math
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

1) Cut it to stove length
    2) Use the wheelbarrow if you can
    3) Drink lots of water
    All mentioned previously. But...
    4) Suck it up, princess. Think about the people out there running saws and throwing the stuff for +/- 16 hrs/day on fires.

I buy a couple cords of rounds in July when it's cheap, then split and stack gradually through the summer to save my back. Too lazy to get my own anymore and I don't mind supporting those willing to do the hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I buy a couple cords of rounds in July when it's cheap, then split and stack gradually through the summer to save my back. Too lazy to get my own anymore and I don't mind supporting those willing to do the hard work.
    ^^ This.

Last time I cut, dragged, loaded, unloaded, bucked 6' 12" diameter logs was 3 years ago. It ended up being lousy wood for a fuckload of work.

Now I just find someone with rounds through the granges and feedstores so it's just spitting and stacking.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    dood that's 8 cords - double one of those measurements to get 2 cords - fkn basic math
    Thank you! Fucking long morning today!