Page 4 of 63 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankZappa View Post
    Pffft!
    It's not overloaded until there's so much hanging out 3 feet past the tailgate that the front tires just kinda skip and the brakes don't work.
    yeah we did that with the roomies F350 3/4 ton ford with the 7.3 diesel, lengths sticking out the back of the truck, we were also towing a trailer made out of a 3/4 ton PU box with lengths sticking out the back of that box, we had to chewed thru 8" of gumbo which the truck amazinly did, we cut up all the lengths at home

except a week later the transfer case shit the bed as buddy is driving to a consulting job and it cost buddy 1500$ or maybe that was $ 2200 ... sometimes overloading a truck can really hurt eh?

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    that should be about a cord , 8' bed x 4' high if stacked and 4' wide to wheel wells so plus a bit. jebus that must be time consuming to stack inside a canopy!! and then have to unload and stack again. All I have to do is back up utility trailer to wherever wood is being cut , cut and throw when in way, back trailer to shed , if row already 2' high back right to row and stack off trailer and stack up to 8'.
    It's not too bad because I'm loading in 24 inch diameter by 16 inch fir rounds or stacking 8 ft lengths of small diameter stuff direct from the cut block. I take it home to cut/split in my yard and then just hand bomb it back into the truck to deliver. We did a test in delivery from a split pile that I know was a legit cord and it just barely fit in under the canopy by kind of tossing it in and not really stacking in the bed. I don't stack when I dump it in someones driveway. The only wood that I actually stack is my own at home, so I only have to actually stack 4 cords; once. Next year I might get the trailer and do more selling. It's crazy how much money you can make from folks who just don't want to deal with it.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

I keep thinking someone needs to post some hot chicks with chainsaws just to keep this thread more interesting.
    I guess I should take the initiative.

I'll take #1 for the win Bob.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

yeah

one hot

the other two..........not

not at all
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

hey, I spent all of three minutes googling hot chicks and chainsaws, I expect a little less criticism here and a little more collaboration.
    geesh

I would collaborate on #1 , high marks Mud and well done.
    Are we ok? Hey why not buy yer significant other a nice jacket for cheap in my other thread, come on make a offer.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    hey, I spent all of three minutes googling hot chicks and chainsaws, I expect a little less criticism here and a little more collaboration.
    geesh
    looks like you wasted 2 of those 3 minutes

Oh well, wouldn't be the first time I wasted a couple minutes looking for hot chicks.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yeah we did that with the roomies F350 3/4 ton ford with the 7.3 diesel, lengths sticking out the back of the truck, we were also towing a trailer made out of a 3/4 ton PU box with lengths sticking out the back of that box, we had to chewed thru 8" of gumbo which the truck amazinly did, we cut up all the lengths at home

except a week later the transfer case shit the bed as buddy is driving to a consulting job and it cost buddy 1500$ or maybe that was $ 2200 ... sometimes overloading a truck can really hurt eh?
    See, that is nutZZ. What ever happened to trucks?

Above Chain-chickZZ. PlZZZ No 2... cut your arm off. ItZZ fuggin UggLee. No one ever needZ to see it. UgggH!
    No. 3. Just tie that to you and jump in a cold thin ice covered beaver pond.

Outside of that, c'mon you buckin wood-nerdZ can't count the splitter op as ONE lift! ... Do oversZZ BitchesZZZ!

I touch my wood a lot

Been done cutting, six cords, may 4th. Woodin opened may 1 st. Get it done early and play all summer and fall.

I used to do forestry reasearch with a girl who was on the varsity logger sports team while attending a small ontario college and she didn't look like any of those girls

picture a husky redneck girl who always wore dickies or carharrts, her husband got her a chain saw for xmas

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I used to do forestry reasearch with a girl who was on the varsity logger sports team...
    "Forestry Research". riiiiight...
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

yeah baby! And I loved it when she walked all over my back in her caulk boots

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    It's not too bad because I'm loading in 24 inch diameter by 16 inch fir rounds or stacking 8 ft lengths of small diameter stuff direct from the cut block. I take it home to cut/split in my yard and then just hand bomb it back into the truck to deliver. We did a test in delivery from a split pile that I know was a legit cord and it just barely fit in under the canopy by kind of tossing it in and not really stacking in the bed. I don't stack when I dump it in someones driveway. The only wood that I actually stack is my own at home, so I only have to actually stack 4 cords; once. Next year I might get the trailer and do more selling. It's crazy how much money you can make from folks who just don't want to deal with it.
    I've got many years still of clean up on property so transport won't be a big deal for years, but looking down the road when I've cut up every thing that need to be cut downand up or only up.. I can see myself going to a slash pile and cutting all the 3-4" pine into 8' lengths and using that for firewood. Piling on my 16' utility trailer ( 14,000lb gross) and cutting it up at home.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

I do this myself. Nothing huge, have sold 11, 16, 14, and so far this year 8 cords since buying the spread in Victor. But at 200 a pop its paid for all my gear plus the down payment on my FJ. And to think people pay money to go to the gym, 20 minutes in the morning 5 days a week keeps me fit and I make a couple G's. And I get tax writeoffs (nothing to write home about, but still nice).
    Live Free or Die

There are a few things that I just don't feel good about buying or selling. Wood is one of them. But I have to buy a bit here and there. I'm willing to sell quantity to the right person. Usually I just give it away to folks who need a little bit to tide them over.

If you can get $200 a cord I can see that being worth while but at $120 .. meh. Around here I have seen people picking up stacked wood under power lines on my road. Really not very much and at end only of long road.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

If you can get $200 a cord I can see that being worth while but at $120 .. meh. Around here I have seen people picking up stacked wood under power lines on my road. Really not very much and at end only of long road.
    In Whistler they get $450 a cord for dry fir. I wonder how many cords there are in a full logging truck? It would be interesting to see how much different the price here is for firewood vs. millwood.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

How much they can carry would depend on the truck and what is considered a cord but I heard 17 to 20 from a 7 axle rig, if I drive out of town to where there are 5 acre lots I can see a lot of people have part of a logging truck load sitting there

I think I'm going to try and keep track of what I burn this season. I have a pretty good idea, but it would be good to know just how much pine/fir/cedar and oak/almond/walnut I actually burn keeping this place warm.

It ain't just about heating the house either. Campfire wood for the backyard and travels, as well as the smoker

In Whistler they get $450 a cord for dry fir. I wonder how many cords there are in a full logging truck? It would be interesting to see how much different the price here is for firewood vs. millwood.
    But that wood that comes on a logging truck isn't millwood its wood at the landing that doesn't make the grade so becomes long firewood. I friend of mine who is a logger and operates a wood lot plus logs for other wood lot operators gets a load of wood for his place. Its big wood but a mill won't take it. He doesn't bother moving wood from his landing to his place. Just gets a self loader to do it and pay the shipping.

I don't think when he sells firewood off his landing he gets much for it. Most of the cost is just the trucking cost and that really depends on distance. But I'll check that. I thought he paid $1000 for a load which was about 15 cords but he's always talking abot cubes so cords don't mean anything to him.

The truck that delivered mine held 11 cords (8'x8'x4') 6 axels and an onboard grappler. $86 per cord fer birch.

But that wood that comes on a logging truck isn't millwood its wood at the landing that doesn't make the grade so becomes long firewood. I friend of mine who is a logger and operates a wood lot plus logs for other wood lot operators gets a load of wood for his place. Its big wood but a mill won't take it. He doesn't bother moving wood from his landing to his place. Just gets a self loader to do it and pay the shipping.

I don't think when he sells firewood off his landing he gets much for it. Most of the cost is just the trucking cost and that really depends on distance. But I'll check that. I thought he paid $1000 for a load which was about 15 cords but he's always talking abot cubes so cords don't mean anything to him.
    we got 2 guys up here who do this ^^ the mill won't buy the wood so one guy has a self loading 4 axle truck with no trailer for 900$ a load, the 7 axle guy charges 1200 for a load, the op costs will be much the same for a 4 axle truck as the 7 axle but without the pup you don't get as much wood ...too bad the 7 axle guy is so unreliable

we found a landing on a wood lot where they had just left the logs stacked beside the road ready to load for several years so we loaded up the pickup truck or pull stuff out of slash piles ... in all the wood gathering I did we didn't have to cut any trees down

86 a load eh bushman? you might spend that in truck/chainsaw fuel/ wear/tear and then you have to spend the time harvesting