Page 6 of 63 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Don't forget the British Properties was/is probably Canada's MOST expensive zip code
    can I charge extra for that?
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

you probably could

my Gf moved straight there from england (where else does a brit move?) she said it was a shitty place for a kid to move there is nothing up there but a church and a country club ... no chinese grocery store to buy penny candy

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty Not Spicy View Post
    Maybe this has already been discussed but any of you ever buy a firewood permit from the Forest Service? Just did it for the first time this year and it worked out nicely. $10/cord and the wood is just laying there on the side of the road (mainly from clearing I think). A lot of it is pretty big (20" +dia) so you have to do some splitting on site, it's slow going on the FS roads and most is pretty green but still a great deal. Two spots in western WA (North Bend & Enumclaw) but I'm assuming they do it elsewhere. My F150 and little trailer could only handle about 1.5 cords so I'm heading up again next weekend. I think I have enough to last me this winter so this will be seasoned beautifully by next fall. These parts it's almost all doug fir.

Attachment 123424
    Attachment 123425
    In CO, some districts let you take standing dead on the FS permit. Great with all the 4-5 year old beetle kill out here. Straight off the splitter I can barely get the stuff in the stove without it catching fire in my hand.

In WA it has to be down, can't even take standing dead. Plus you only have a 50' window on either side of the road to harvest. But right now there is probably a couple hundred cords already cut and stacked just sitting on the side of the road.

gotta be down and dead in most NF's in CA
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I get FS permits for green (standing) piñon and juniper here in NM, $10/cord.

kinda hard to squish yerself with a pinion or juniper

Yeah, it's win/win.

so now you can make shitloads of pesto and gin?

$5 / cord for deadfall and standing dead here (MT). Standing dead is significantly more fun. A few minor restrictions (no cedar, no larch in the winter, etc.). Picked up most of a cord yesterday; some larch and some crappy fir that was already down and easy to grab.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

In Inyo National Forest, California, it is $14 a cord and it has to be on the ground. As far as I am concerned leaners count. I have been done cutting since May 4th and split by hand all summer. Between my neighbor and I we have 12 cords split and stacked.

Whoever took made that owl thing has ay too much time on their hands or too many mushrooms in the freezer. By the time stacking comes around all I want to do is be done.

In the Nicolet-Chequamegon National Forest it is $20 for 4 cords and you can take standing trees as long as they are dead and less than 18 inches DBH. I've cut 5 loads so far this fall with three being brought home. I need at least one more load. I've got a lot of oak, but have been finding more dead maple the last two years.

Got my Wood

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5136.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	125021

Cut, split with my Fiskars X27 axe, and stacked up-about 5 cords.

A lot of my neighbors use a hydraulic splitter, but I really enjoy splitting with an axe. It's great to do after a long day at work.

Bought myself a 3 1/2lb single bit with a clear grain hickory handle. $16.99. I'm fixin to get my moneys worth outta it.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Cut my last load of wood for the season. I tried an Oregon chain on my Stihl based on a recommendation. That will probably be the last time I do that. I was able to cut two links from a large oak before it started to significantly dull. I can cut two loads with a Stihl chain before it gets as dull as the Oregon chain did off of two cuts. Now it's time to split the wood. I got a head start on a few pieces that still had some moisture but now I'll be able focus on splitting.

Quote Originally Posted by bovine View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5136.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	125021

Cut, split with my Fiskars X27 axe, and stacked up-about 5 cords.

A lot of my neighbors use a hydraulic splitter, but I really enjoy splitting with an axe. It's great to do after a long day at work.
    I split a bit with an axe its fun to do stuff like ash and small maple but for the big stuff and birch but we have a badass splitter. 7-10 cords of hardwood per year. The splitter makes life easy(er)

Grange - I've been running Oregon chain on my Husky w/ no noticeable difference

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    We've always used Oregon (Huskies)

Dirty/muddy wood skidded during a wet summer will dull a chain very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    That's the brand the person who recommended Oregon chains uses.

What's your favorite splitting tool?
    Mine is an 8lb. Splitting maul with a Fiberglass handle. I got tired of replacing hickory handles every two years, and the 6lb. mauls don't split like a heavy maul does.
    I see a lot of people splitting wood with an axe, Axes are for chopping wood (cutting a log in two pieces), Mauls are for splitting rounds.

8lb. splitting maul with fiberglass handle for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    What's your favorite splitting tool?
    Good question but this was discussed at great length last wood-splitting season:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...splitting-mags
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Multiglisse View Post
    Good question but this was discussed at great length last wood-splitting season:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...splitting-mags
    that was last year, who wants to read old threads. you don't have to read this one if it bothers you having a new thread about woodsplitting.