Page 5 of 63 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    $200 a cord is pricey, $450 is crazy.

Everything is pricey here, and we pay $100 for a loaded dump bed (just shy of a cord) of a bone-dry mix. Little bit of pine, some maple, beech, oak. Found a card the previous owners of our house had left. That guy wanted $85 for the same. The house isn't set up to be heated with wood, so we didn't burn much the first couple of winters. Just dumped a bunch of money on a heat pump last year, so now we don't burn much at all. But, at $85/~cord, I would have kept buying it. My 5 year-old daughter can swing a maul for shit.

Fond memories of splitting wood with the old man, though. We lived in a pretty nice neighborhood in town, so it must have looked pretty funny seeing us splitting wood on the front lawn, or on the side of the street when we could get the hydraulic splitter from his friend.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Now THAT is badass!
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    But that wood that comes on a logging truck isn't millwood its wood at the landing that doesn't make the grade so becomes long firewood. I friend of mine who is a logger and operates a wood lot plus logs for other wood lot operators gets a load of wood for his place. Its big wood but a mill won't take it. He doesn't bother moving wood from his landing to his place. Just gets a self loader to do it and pay the shipping.

I don't think when he sells firewood off his landing he gets much for it. Most of the cost is just the trucking cost and that really depends on distance. But I'll check that. I thought he paid $1000 for a load which was about 15 cords but he's always talking abot cubes so cords don't mean anything to him.
    Tell your buddy I'll give him a couple grand to deliver a truck load of fir to Whistler next summer.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    $200 a cord is pricey, $450 is crazy.
    It certainly is, but it's paying for my ski pass this season!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    Tell your buddy I'll give him a couple grand to deliver a truck load of fir to Whistler next summer.
    He has everthing but the truck, skidder, processor ( excavator with a fancy thng that can grab and cut to exact lengths) but gets other people to do the lauling. He sells from his land landing wood for firewood and sometimes buys a load himself. Way to far for firewood from Golden but there must be a way to get stuff from closer.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

processor ( excavator with a fancy thng that can grab and cut to exact lengths) .
    feller buncher to cut the tree down and I think they use a limber to clean the tree and cut to length

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    feller buncher to cut the tree down and I think they use a limber to clean the tree and cut to length
    no he does cutting of trees down by hand then moves to landing with skidder

though I know what you mean by feller buncher but I don't think he can use one of those as wood is too big for the most part.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

He has everthing but the truck, skidder, processor ( excavator with a fancy thng that can grab and cut to exact lengths) but gets other people to do the lauling. He sells from his land landing wood for firewood and sometimes buys a load himself. Way to far for firewood from Golden but there must be a way to get stuff from closer.
    There is, but they know what the final sale price is to the local customer, so local guys don't sell for cheap and I don't really want to be in that business anymore than I already am anyway unless there were a big upside. Just a thought and I appreciate the feedback.

Problem here , well at least for friend is a storage of truckers. It was a real bottleneck for him this year when he was trying to get out 200 loads. Was also shipping to Revie as even after extra shipping was paying more.

I'll ask what firewood sells at landing.

One would think a way to do it using that skid steer cutting splitting machine would be to fill an open top container and deliver to final location. A 40 footer should hold 15 cords though a 20ft might be easier to move around. Though that would start to require capital invsetment.

Problem here , well at least for friend is a storage of truckers. It was a real bottleneck for him this year when he was trying to get out 200 loads. Was also shipping to Revie as even after extra shipping was paying more.

I'll ask what firewood sells at landing.

One would think a way to do it using that skid steer cutting splitting machine would be to fill an open top container and deliver to final location. A 40 footer should hold 15 cords though a 20ft might be easier to move around. Though that would start to require capital invsetment.
    Or maybe just rent a cube truck for a weekend. I bet one of those uhaul moving vans would handle perfectly heading down the mtn highway loaded to the gills with firewood. Hire some Frenchy to drive and pretend he stole it if he crashes it.

I've got way more than I need, but I can still cut through November (wx and road closures depending) and have a good stash. Hard to resist. I'd hate to go back in the spring and discover some other dirtbag got MY wood. My wife says I have issues.....

I am hacking away at my pile. I'll take some photos next week. So far my back shoulders and arms feel good. Maybe 20% cut split and stacked.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    My wife says I have issues.....
    nothing like swinging a maul a few hundred times a day to work through the issues!

had a borrowed splitter for a while - kinda felt like cheating - back to the maul - my neighbor uses a little maul and a small sledge - I prefer swinging the big one

Cutting and splitting 1-2 cords a day this time of year. Pretty good money if you don't mind the labor.

had a borrowed splitter for a while - kinda felt like cheating - back to the maul...
    You have issues.

There is, but they know what the final sale price is to the local customer, so local guys don't sell for cheap and I don't really want to be in that business anymore than I already am anyway unless there were a big upside. Just a thought and I appreciate the feedback.
    When I was working with a climber/faller here on the Shore most of our work was in the British Properties, many of the people we cut for didn't want the wood. So we would split it and we had about three spots around the area that we would dump the wood. We'd dump 2 to 3 full pick-up loads of good split wood 4 days a week. Seems that enough people had figured out where we dumped and each pile would be gone in a day or two.

If someone really wanted the cheap wood they could track down the guy I worked for (I've since lost his number) and get lots of free wood. Truck and a trailer would haul plenty up to Whistler to sell at a premium.

had a borrowed splitter for a while - kinda felt like cheating - back to the maul - my neighbor uses a little maul and a small sledge - I prefer swinging the big one
    Thats just sick IMO, up here fire wood isn't a mom n apple pie thing and it ain't free cuz you gotta invest some time & money to harvest it so fire wood =money ... get it anyway you can cheap as you can without wrecking too much gear or hurting too many body parts

This house has no wood stove so I no long have to do the wood harvest every year and after a furnace/insulation upgrade it costs me 1200-1500$ a year and zero effort

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Truck and a trailer would haul plenty up to Whistler to sell at a premium.
    It's gotta be fir to sell at a premium. You guys cut a lot of fir or was it a mixed bag?

It's gotta be fir to sell at a premium. You guys cut a lot of fir or was it a mixed bag?
    Mixed bag. Any and everything. Plenty of big stuff as it was usually big stuff that people were getting worried about it falling on the house.

At the in-laws place- built the little shed out of scrap from a new garage and filled it up with snags and deadfall from around the property. Pretty good day's work and I am now the unquestioned #1 son-in-law.

I spend a lot of vacation time doing work outside other people's summer houses. Gotta have a hobby.

otherwise you are in the house chatting with folks that you'd rather not be chatting with

it's half the reason I cook at every event - I stay busy - I can drink - people stay outta my way

good on you lad - nice wood

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Mixed bag. Any and everything. Plenty of big stuff as it was usually big stuff that people were getting worried about it falling on the house.
    Don't forget the British Properties was/is probably Canada's MOST expensive zip code

Maybe this has already been discussed but any of you ever buy a firewood permit from the Forest Service? Just did it for the first time this year and it worked out nicely. $10/cord and the wood is just laying there on the side of the road (mainly from clearing I think). A lot of it is pretty big (20" +dia) so you have to do some splitting on site, it's slow going on the FS roads and most is pretty green but still a great deal. Two spots in western WA (North Bend & Enumclaw) but I'm assuming they do it elsewhere. My F150 and little trailer could only handle about 1.5 cords so I'm heading up again next weekend. I think I have enough to last me this winter so this will be seasoned beautifully by next fall. These parts it's almost all doug fir.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wood 1.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	123424
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wood 2.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	123425