Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Being new to paying for firewood I did'nt really know what the costs are and it seems there is a wide range across the land. From what I found around here Loggers cord is $85 to $125 for hardwood, birch,oak, ash, maple. Popple is used for pulpwood and generally not sold for firewood, although I cut popple on my land for use in the barrel stoves. My pile costs $950 delivered, so one less ski adventure this year. Better than giving money to EVIL big oil.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Cut all my own firewood, mostly off of my parents 65 acres of woods that abuts my property.
    Real nice stand of dead tamarack behind my house that I mix with maple, cherry, elm (I only cut the dead stuff), some poplar (only cut this stuff when it is in the way and needed to be cut up anyway), Yellow Birch, and ash.
    I split most by hand, which can actually be faster than using a woodsplitter if given decent wood. Especially gnarly stuff I save for the splitter.

4 Cord Shed:

Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

I just got done cutting, splitting and stacking almost 10 cords of wood over the last few weeks. I feel like I could rip apart a phone book or something. Grrrrrrr!

Here in BC, it's actually fun to go out on bush missions 4X4ing up sketchy old decrepit logging roads into cut blocks. Finding the mother lode is almost like christmas, but you gotta take it fast or your fellow scavengers will snap it up fast. We really only get douglas fir and mtn hemlock to burn. Cedar is good for kindling. Most people would cringe if they saw the nice fir timbers I was bucking up and splitting, but it's just gonna rot on the ground otherwise. Nothing like maneouvering down a steep as fuck, loose as fuck, bumpy as fuck logging road with an overloaded F-150 and a big death roll off the side. Extreme firewooding!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Madrona? Yikes, I feel bad when I burn wild PNW cherry.
    They were pretty common near our place, but he never felled live ones. He was always way psyched to find one that had dropped over the winter.

Been any easy wood season in northern CO this year with all the wind we had last fall. Also just starting to harvest some large pine that I felled 3 years ago behind my house. Bucked up about 10 cords worth this summer, had 2 cords left over from last year and have split about 6 for this year. I think this is the year I'll get 1 full year ahead. There are few things I'd rather do on a cool fall day than work on the woodpile.

This is my kind of brappin'.

Holy shit you people go through a lot of wood. Now you mean full cords? A cord being 4 feet wide ( 3 rows of 16") 4 feet high by 8 feet long. I go less than 2 cords and will probalby go through 3 cords this year with wife being full time and once and a while bringing barn up to temp. But my wood is 50% aspen which per volume has 1/2 the heating value of pine and way less than birch or other hard woods.

I know some people around here that go through 10 cords but have a wood boiler that supplies hot water to two large buildings and they only have to cut to 3' length and don't have to split anything.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    Holy shit you people go through a lot of wood. Now you mean full cords? A cord being 4 feet wide ( 3 rows of 16") 4 feet high by 8 feet long. I go less than 2 cords and will probalby go through 3 cords this year with wife being full time and once and a while bringing barn up to temp. But my wood is 50% aspen which per volume has 1/2 the heating value of pine and way less than birch or other hard woods.

I know some people around here that go through 10 cords but have a wood boiler that supplies hot water to two large buildings and they only have to cut to 3' length and don't have to split anything.
    Every winter I go through 128^3 * 6-7 easy.

Got ~ 6 cords split & stacked on friday.
    On top of a couple left over from last year.
    I'm beat & I'm done. Commence burn!

This should be in all firewood threads. I want one.

Jeebus, us CA types are weak comparatively. My neighbors and I split 4.5 cords of (almost seasoned) eucalyptus on Saturday with a splitter, and we're all ready to die. We did break 3 machines through, and I can't imagine swinging a splitter through that stringy shit.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Jeebus, us CA types are weak comparatively. My neighbors and I split 4.5 cords of (almost seasoned) eucalyptus on Saturday with a splitter, and we're all ready to die. We did break 3 machines through, and I can't imagine swinging a splitter through that stringy shit.
    Oh hell no... There is some species of spruce common out west that is really stringy and horrible to split even with the splitter. I'll split lodgepole by hand and it's especially good for kindling, but whatever that spruce is, I had one round laying around for 3 seasons before I tried to split it this year and even ith the splitter it was horrendous. By hand, I'll bet I would have been on it for 2 hours.

I believe ya ^^, I broke a splitter which used a hydralic jack as part of mech in only a few cords of 18" pine that had big knots in it, I think its about the wood/knots, ya I have split some stuff with just a tap of the maul that was really easy when its frozen but not all wood is easy to split

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/...ws/reviews.htm

but this electric splitter ^^ has done all the wood for 2 seasons at a fly-in ski lodge operation and shows no signs of failing

Around here the locals who have the room will just buy a 7 axle logging truck load for I think 1200$ which is maybe 20 cords, have it dumped on their property, cover it with a trap and slice it off with the chainsaw like a loaf of bread

These are people who all own 4x4 trucks, saws, there is easy wood every where already cut down sitting in slash piles ready to burn but given the time saving/cost of truck fuel/truck & saw wear n tear ... they buy the BIG load of wood

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    ya I have split some stuff with just a tap of the maul that was really easy when its frozen but not all wood is easy to split
    I had a Yellow Birch stump a few years back and no access to a hydrolic splitter. My 8lb maul would just bounce off the bastard. I waited until mid-winter when we had a -35 below morning. Bundled up, mosied outside. Set the block up and split that round with three swings .
    That piece delivered some good heat the next year.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.

That Bobcat attachment is fuckin tits, I want one, bad.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankZappa View Post
    This should be in all firewood threads. I want one.
    Ok where can i get one of these. And can it be mounted to a regular tractor loader that has an extra set of hydrolics?
    Almost looks like three sets of hydrolics are needed.

I figure I've got my cost down to just over $21 per cord.

... course, I didn't add in the cost for all the asprin for my back.

Times wood picked up
    Load truck 1
    Unload truck 1
    Out of cut way 1
    To splitter 1
    Off splitter 1
    Stacked 1
    To house 1
    In stove 1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1350336636.359692.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	122932
    Overloaded
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I'm looking at bush cords. 8ft bed of a truck stacked to the roof inside a canopy, so subtract out a bit for wheel well and what not. I probably only burn about 4 myself, but it's all fir which burns hot/fast and I heat my house all winter with it. Me and another dude have sold the stuff left over for $250 a p/u truck full to dumbass Vancouver weekenders to pay for our season passes. 10 loads sold and delivered. I'm turning away calls because we have no wood left.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1350336636.359692.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	122932
    Overloaded
    Pffft!
    It's not overloaded until there's so much hanging out 3 feet past the tailgate that the front tires just kinda skip and the brakes don't work.

^ there's not even a trailer involved! You know you're overloaded when your 3/4 ton pickup is doing 20 in low gear driving up the pass... WRNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Should have taken a pic from the side...

saggy

Quote Originally Posted by FrankZappa View Post
    I figure I've got my cost down to just over $21 per cord.

... course, I didn't add in the cost for all the asprin for my back.

Times wood picked up
    Load truck 1
    Unload truck 1
    Out of cut way 1
    To splitter 1
    Off splitter 1
    Stacked 1
    To house 1
    In stove 1
    how much are you paying yourself?
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Should have taken a pic from the side...

saggy
    Thats because it's a 1/2 ton truck, it will sag with a sheet of paper in the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    I'm looking at bush cords. 8ft bed of a truck stacked to the roof inside a canopy, .
    that should be about a cord , 8' bed x 4' high if stacked and 4' wide to wheel wells so plus a bit. jebus that must be time consuming to stack inside a canopy!! and then have to unload and stack again. All I have to do is back up utility trailer to wherever wood is being cut , cut and throw when in way, back trailer to shed , if row already 2' high back right to row and stack off trailer and stack up to 8'.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Times wood picked up
    throw on to trailer 1
    Stacked from trailer1.5 ( some from front of trailer to back)
    To house via garbage can 1
    some wood goes to box box most stays in can
    In stove 1

moving trailer from cut to shed .... 50 yards one way
    Last edited by DougW; 10-15-2012 at 05:24 PM.

load truck - 1

unload truck - 1

split using borrowed splitter - 1

stack - 1

move to house - 1

in stove - 1

I've been driving 50 miles each way, so I'm looking at something like $50/cord.

I pay myself well.