Page 85 of 163 FirstFirst ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 4075
    Quote Originally Posted by snuttypants View Post
    Hamish, I was going to by the tools and the inserts. You back in the bay,Tahoe,or co? I have a new number and don't have yours anymore
    Playing Jester on the Kings Beach.
    510-freeninefree 3oh72

Lemmeno if you need any male hookers.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

All time!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Playing Jester on the Kings Beach.
    510-freeninefree 3oh72

Lemmeno if you need any male hookers.
    Let me know where I can find some. I find some to feed that appetite of yours.

Lots of amazing untracked pow still lurking around the lake:

just got back from telluride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stevens-cirque-021.jpg 
Views:	1204 
Size:	214.8 KB 
ID:	130695  
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

tricky part is finding that from the top

climbing up it is tricky too. guessing it breakable above the lower crux
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Thought I'd check locally...

Looking for either a set of Large dukes to mount on my CRJs

OR

A touring setup. (Ideal some rocker, 100-110 underfoot, skins, large dukes/barons)

I've got some PMs out about both already, so I did at least start in gearswap.

All so I can get my ass in shape, take an avi1 offered early Feb and start pestering everyone around here to show me around. I promise I won't tag along until I at least honestly think I wont slow you down...too much. While I should explore half of my Alpine/Squaw pass more, I just want to get to skinning.

I've already missed out on a pair of bros and BD Justices that were for sale. So...yeah...damn.

Thoughts about touring with the CRJs? I'm happy with them, playful and fun. Perhaps best to be left as a resort ski.

Also, I knew this belongs in tech talk/gear swap/GTFO Jong, but like I said, thought I'd try here first.

I've been eyeing that line from the road for a decade...maybe this season if I can break away.

I'll be at KW with my kid Sat thru Mon hiking the bc while he's in ski school

why the fuck anyone buys those rediculously heavy and clunky dukes is wayyy beyond my comprehension. are you really that rad that you need a 16 din??? and that strong that you want to handicap yourself w/ shitloads of extra weight??? dont buy into the hype man

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I've been eyeing that line from the road for a decade...maybe this season if I can break away.
    I believe my friend who was giving you shit about your fat skis a few years ago would be the guy to talk to about that.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    why the fuck anyone buys those rediculously heavy and clunky dukes is wayyy beyond my comprehension. are you really that rad that you need a 16 din??? and that strong that you want to handicap yourself w/ shitloads of extra weight??? dont buy into the hype man
    I could go for some Barons, or F12s, sure. I'm pretty rad, but that isn't measured by my DIN, or my skiing really. dynafit setup is out of the price range. Worried about skiing a baron or f12 on a regular basis and wearing them out (since likely won't have a strictly touring setup just yet). As far as handicapping myself with extra weight, not too worried cause I'm looking to get strong. Never really been a weight snob in any activity. Also, don't plan to be doing excessively long hikes right away. As my post said, looking to break into it, assuming it's as great as I imagine, I can fine tune gear later.

Dukes are one of the easiest ways into it, without really jeopardizing downhill ability (old freerides, etc).

Any advice aside from "don't buy into the hype"? How'd YOU get started touring?

Quote Originally Posted by jables View Post
    Nobody for the "Tech Talk Jong" comments yet????
    This is my 4th year at it......and I have dukes on everything. Over the past 2 years i've been doing a longer tours (Eastside, Shasta, and stuff around the lake). I will be transitioning to Dynafit stuff in the near future. They are a good start, but once you get more into it, you will want to make a change. The only plus side to the dukes is that I have them on all 3 pairs.......and you can ride them at the resort 100% of the time if you wish.

I started bootpacking Mt Judah, before Sugar Bowl expanded. Then I bootpacked Red Lake Peak in late spring. I also X-C skied here and there. Finally, 2 years ago I bought skins/barons, and it snowed so much I never left the resort (you can thank me). Last year, well With that in mind, I recommend you buy skins/dukes, and we'll all thank you for consistent dumpage through Memorial Day.

Doesn't this belong in techtalk?
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

We're having a friends and family promo at the Patagonia Outlet...

Use the promo code DEEPSNOW, either online at checkout for 30% off, or at the Outlet in person for 30% off the outlet price.

Now through January 22nd. This is not getting the same sort of push as our typical sales so the crowds should be much smaller.

And to avoid spamming, a photo or two for the thread...

incline lake peak by chadbrownimages, on Flickr

skintrack by chadbrownimages, on Flickr

I can't afford a gym membership, so I bought Dukes. When you compare them to my skis, they are absolutely light. Truth be told, I bought them when I first got into touring, because I was not sure how much I would actually tour with them, and they seemed able to handle regular inbound abuse. I own a pair of Dynafiddles, but don't like my tech boots, or the skis they are on very much. Once I become wealthy again, I will buy a lighter fat ski, solid boots, dyna-look plates, and sell the Dukes. I think.

And I am that rad.

I think.

666. I'll be around, on a baby care schedule. Figuring out my ski window arrangement on the drive up this afternoon.

Thought I'd check locally...

Looking for either a set of Large dukes to mount on my CRJs

OR

A touring setup. (Ideal some rocker, 100-110 underfoot, skins, large dukes/barons)

I've got some PMs out about both already, so I did at least start in gearswap.

All so I can get my ass in shape, take an avi1 offered early Feb and start pestering everyone around here to show me around. I promise I won't tag along until I at least honestly think I wont slow you down...too much. While I should explore half of my Alpine/Squaw pass more, I just want to get to skinning.

I've already missed out on a pair of bros and BD Justices that were for sale. So...yeah...damn.

Thoughts about touring with the CRJs? I'm happy with them, playful and fun. Perhaps best to be left as a resort ski.

Also, I knew this belongs in tech talk/gear swap/GTFO Jong, but like I said, thought I'd try here first.
    I tour on crjs. I like them touring more than them as resort skis.

38 deg at Squaw summit 8 degrees at base at 7am. Biggest inversion I've ever seen.

^^^ How can you tell? The remote sensor for High Camp has been down all year.

^^^jedi powers, i assume

How'd YOU get started touring?
    I bought Dynafits from Telemark-Pyrenees in 1998. Went out with ice climbing buddies who knew how to stay safer in the BC, went on some hut trips with instructors from school who helped educate us and keep us safer. Finally took a course and got a beacon in my 3rd season. Realized I far preferred skis to snowshoes for getting around in snow (was a boarder before) and rode the original Dynafit/Atomic TourCarve/TLT 4S setup for five years. Had a pair of Miras with Silvretta and Bakers with Fritschi for a spell, but never liked the frankenwalk or the heel clack. Have always preferred getting out into the BC to resort as a way to exercise self-sufficiency, get solitude and fresh tracks instead of the sidecountry/gate-tourer mindset of touring as a way to get fresh tracks once the resort is skied out.

The gear you choose will determine the experience you have in the BC. Every time you add weight, you slow yourself down so think more about how many runs you want to get or what else is in reach when you expand your range by going lighter. I avoid touring with people who have heavy setups because it says to me that they have a resort/sidecountry mindset and are looking for a different experience than someone with a dedicated touring setup. I've been disappointed when I wait for someone on the skintrack and then they bail after one run. If I'm going to put in the effort, I want to get more runs. For the same effort with a lighter setup, you'll get more vert or get further back to the untouched and that's what I figure you go in the BC for.

My advice on the quandry of budgeting weight and money is to save up for a separate, dedicated Dynafit touring setup. You need about $150 more for the bindings so it isn't a huge burden. If you don't have a tech-compatible boot, you would be looking at a bigger check for sure. Still, you spend $200+ on the Dukes just to buy the Dynafits in a year or two anyway. I say save up instead and go straight to Dynafit (they also have excellent resale if you decide you want to go back to lifts).

If you just want to get out there and get the flavor, borrow from friends. Heck, borrow my Bridges with F10s that I got specifically for resort and to loan out to visitors that want to tour but don't have their own setup or tech boots. Or just get the cheapest option: Trekkers. They save you money AND will really make you work for it, even more than Dukes, and you're looking for a handicap, right?

Oh yeah, and

TECH TALK, JONG!
    Last edited by lepistoir; 01-18-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by unpossible View Post
    ^^^ How can you tell? The remote sensor for High Camp has been down all year.
    Hourly data from Squaw Valley Summit (Elevation 8700 Feet)
    Collected by the National Weather Service Reno NV

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/rev/remotedata/screst.php

^^^ Hah, thanks! Never realized the Sierra Crest sensor was Squaw Valley summit, always used to click on the High Camp link.

C'mon bud, you've seen my heavy ass tour with you. I look for rocks and take 2 turns with as much ski pressure as humanly possible. Also, I only tour a few times a year (on average) so I don't mind the uphill battle. Disclaimer, I now have Guardians which changes absolutely nothing.

Thanks for the accounts of how they got started and info from everyone.

Lepistor-I promise I wont ask to slow you down on the skin track and then bail after one run, I may take you up on the offer to borrow those bridges though. I agree in the long run saving for a dynafit rig is likely wisest, but I think resale on dukes is also pretty high and budget constraints are always an issue.

Ottime-You are that rad, no doubt.

DHK-Sort of my mindset with it too.

LSL-hopefully you can thank me for constant dumpage when i buy some dukes and skins. Bootpacking sounds like an honest way to earn 'em. props to you.

Nobody jumped on the "Gear Swap Jong" beat down, because it all started as a "I'm looking for...." Then it became tech talk, but along the way it was story time, where all you got to share how you got started touring.

I want to get into touring because I'm looking for a different challenge. Some honest hard work to get some turns. Get out and away from the crowd. When I moved to Tahoe in 2010 I had never skied or snowboarded once in my life. I choose to learn to ski because I was under the impression that it was the best and fastest way to get around in the BC (didn't know about splitboards, but wouldn't have mattered anyway) and because I don't have the fashion sense to be a snowboarder.