Page 41 of 163 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 4075
    http://www.sierrasun.com/article/201...ntProfile=1051

Northstar's long-term improvement plan generates limited public feedback

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

KINGS BEACH, Calif. — Few attendees provided input at an Environmental Impact Report scoping meeting last week regarding multi-year proposed mountain improvements at Northstar California.

Of the nearly 25 attendees at the Nov. 28 meeting, only two commented, one about power consumption and the other on identifying various parcel holdings within and near Northstar.

“They're proposing several new lifts, so there must be a power consumption table or something that compares what exists today and what would be a result of power consumption under the plan,” said Dave McClure, president of North Tahoe Citizen Action Alliance.

“That's a great comment, and I know it's a great comment because our consultant nodded his head,” said Gerry Haas, senior planner with Placer County, who led the meeting at the North Tahoe Event Center.

Ann Nichols, president of the North Tahoe Preservation Alliance, said it would be nice to have a map that shows the Northstar ski area boundary, timberland production zone (TPZ) parcels, adjacent parcels and their uses (such as Sierra Pacific Industries), the proposed California Pacific Electric Company power line relocation and Northstar's Habitat Management Plan.

“All of this because it all seems to be connected,” she said. “… just so we can kind of see everything at once.”

The proposed project outlines Northstar's proposed mountain improvements over the next 10 to 15 years, which are based on guest feedback with the intent to enhance overall guest experience and the environment, according to the resort.

“This is the master plan, so what we're looking at are program-level requests for improvements and also project-level,” said Haas, adding the difference between the two is project-level requests are short-term projects, while program-level requests deal with the long-term vision.

The proposed project-level improvements include:

• Additional ski trails on the eastern and western slopes of Mt. Pluto, the northeastern slopes of Sawtooth Ridge and Lookout Mountain. New terrain will include traditional, tree island trails and gladed tree skiing.

• Five new ski lifts labeled C, J, V, W and Z.

• Five skier bridges across streams.

• Skier service site improvements at the top of Mt. Pluto with a summit deck and grille expansion and a warming hut on the backside.

• Implementation of a Habitat Management Plan through a protected conservation area in the northwestern extents of the resort.

• Relocating two areas designated as commercial.

• Zoning amendment that would allow ski lifts and trails within TPZ lands.

The proposed program-level improvements include:

• An additional ski lift — Q — on Lookout.

• Castle Peak Parking area gondola.

• Skier service sites to provide restrooms, enhanced food service and additional seating as well as additional non-skier recreation activities at Mid Mountain.

“There's a lot going on here,” Haas said. “A lot of little components, but basically, when you start stripping everything away and you take a look at what each one of them is, it's not too complicated.”

The cost of these proposed improvements hasn't been determined at this time, said Jessica Van Pernis, a senior communications manager with Vail Resorts, which owns Northstar.

Comments will be accepted until 5 p.m. on Thursday, and can be sent to Maywan Krach, Environmental Coordination Services, at the Placer County Community Development Resource Agency, 3091 County Center Drive, Suite 190, Auburn, CA 95603 or emailed to cdraecs@placer.ca.gov.

Haas said it could take months between Thursday and the circulation of the draft EIR, which will have a 45-day public review period.

More information about Northstar's proposed mountain project can be found at www.NorthstarCalifornia.com/masterplan and http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments...thstarMMP.aspx.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Some pics from a rainy day at Northstar yesterday...

Rain to the summit with some snow hanging on for dear life on the trees....

Stiffer Jag Sharks....yummy!

Last lap...before heading back to reality.

kirkwood opens 100% saturday. this is what the backside looked like today
    watching

dropping

admiring
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kirkwood-016.jpg 
Views:	987 
Size:	338.4 KB 
ID:	127336   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kirkwood-053.jpg 
Views:	999 
Size:	228.2 KB 
ID:	127337   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kirkwood-055.jpg 
Views:	994 
Size:	356.4 KB 
ID:	127338  
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Did you extend him your employee discount? Do you get free chili? What were the snow conditions? Can you describe your lunch and the snow conditions with the same words?
    1. No, but I did offer him some Goldfish and pretzels.
    2. No, but I got a free veggie burger with fries.
    3. I never left the Magic Carpet, but the conditions on "Ursa Major" were soft and supple.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I'll help....

We talked about skis and ski boots....INCREDIBLE RIGHT???? heh.
    We also talked about outerwear.

FWIW, both 666 and I are loyal supporters of Technica ski boots. He prefers the wider toe box of the Demon 130, while I favor the narrower Inferno 130. We're both eying the Cochise Pro 130 for our AT set-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    I thought about hitting Granite Chief at Squaw but chose Mt Rose for it's elevation.
    Speaking of...
    Granite Chief today was nuts...and not in a good way. We're talking protruding death cookies that could knock your teeth out, refrozen gutter tracks, luge-like channels of boiler plate masochism, knee jarring chunks of grunk and the perpetual sound of edges shaving snow with raspy verve.

The rest of the hill was terra firma, but the run under Emigrant was soft and spring-like. The runs off of Shirley Lake were edgeable, but damn if Squaw needs to learn the finer points of grooming: they were littered with death taters of the new and russet variety (Squaw should send spies over to NS and steal some tips on immaculate corduroying techniques). Everything off of Siberia was sleek, as well.

Folks were lapping The Funnel, but only the upper part before the choke was decent, everything below was chatter city and hard flash on the scraper tip.

They were running Solitude and Silverado and Squaw One were spinning, but not open.

Weather was bluebird and crisp and clean; a mite bit on the chilly side, which kept the snow from ever softening up.

AM opening day is on the calendar for tomorrow.
    Last edited by dookey67; 12-06-2012 at 08:44 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    So the wife's family is coming up for Xmas. Anyone have any ideas on deals for lift tickets and rentals? I know its not exactly the time of the year for deals, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask around. Its times like this I don't understand how people afford to ski.

Snowbomb bro!

Tell your mother in law if she grows a stache (a fuckin sick trucker steeze one) she can borrow my pass.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    this is what the backside looked like today

Yup......that looks like ass.

Thanks for the pics.

mountain bike oh how I've missed you
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Snowbomb bro!

Tell your mother in law if she grows a stache (a fuckin sick trucker steeze one) she can borrow my pass.
    The lift tickets aren't good during the holidays, or I'm missing something. I'll pass on the message to grow a mustache, she already doesn't know what to do with us backwoods, country folk up here.

not sure what dates you are looking for deals on, but saw this banner in front of Safeway today:

http://exined.org/skiing-schools

Also, don't hear much talk about Liftopia anymore, but fwiw:
    http://www.liftopia.com/ski-resort-i...n-lift-tickets

Also, this site used to house some great deals, but not sure what they have nowadays:
    http://www.slidingonthecheap.com/
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Yup......that looks like ass.

Thanks for the pics.

mountain bike oh how I've missed you
    it was actually excellent. not sure if they got an inch of snow after the rain stopped or it was an inch of hoar. either way it skied fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    He prefers the wider toe box of the Demon 130, while I favor the narrower Inferno 130.
    We're both eying the Cochise Pro 130 for our AT set-ups.
    Which I thought is a narrow boot?

Curious what the base of AM looks like. Saw some pics of Gunners and it looked un-skiable. Hoping the upper mountain is a bit more spackled for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    it was actually excellent. not sure if they got an inch of snow after the rain stopped or it was an inch of hoar. either way it skied fantastic.
    New snow falls as runnels?

Damn. Learn something new every day!

Mostly it just answers my questions of cornish or powish up high. So I do thank you regardless. I've been in a dungeon working for the last 12 days.

New snow falls as runnels?

Damn. Learn something new every day!
    runnels?? those are spines baby!!!

i have at least 2, maybe 4 tickets together for the Tahoe Adventure Film Festival if anyone is interested. They are $22 each and they are pretty good seats
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14463s.jpg 
Views:	825 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	127363  

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Granite Chief today was nuts...and not in a good way. We're talking protruding death cookies that could knock your teeth out, refrozen gutter tracks, luge-like channels of boiler plate masochism, knee jarring chunks of grunk and the perpetual sound of edges shaving snow with raspy verve.
    Glad I didn't head over there. After an unenjoyable shot at siberia my adventure level went down a notch. Emigrant was the only thing really fun and it got hammered pretty hard by the end of the day, but still fun.

Anybody been on Rose/Tamarack since the last storm? Making plans for the weekend and wondering if the top of Rose could be holding anything worthwhile or if we should just seek out mid level corn along the crest.

From today's report and obs on S.A.C., it sounds like boilerplate/breakable crust.

I heard it was pow spines on TGR

Stellar on the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Anybody been on Rose/Tamarack since the last storm? Making plans for the weekend and wondering if the top of Rose could be holding anything worthwhile or if we should just seek out mid level corn along the crest.
    Went touring during the last storm. Rain at the top of Tamarack. Seems like the only place worth skiing this weekend is the eastside neer the crest. Anyone know how possible it would be to ride sleds up the 120 to tioga lakes right now?

Quote Originally Posted by powfiend View Post
    Went touring during the last storm. Rain at the top of Tamarack. Seems like the only place worth skiing this weekend is the eastside neer the crest. Anyone know how possible it would be to ride sleds up the 120 to tioga lakes right now?
    Can't offer any beta on how much snow on Tioga Road, but I would just note that the wind is going to be howling this weekend along the Crest on the Eastside (35 mph continuous basically). Just a note.

I was thinking possibly Dunderberg, but don't feel like getting slaughtered by the winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post
    From today's report and obs on S.A.C., it sounds like boilerplate/breakable crust.
    Hehe, guess I should've actually read the observations before posting here. Just saw the expected green compass rose and moved on.

Weather will be decent enough. We'll find a way to enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post
    I was thinking possibly Dunderberg, but don't feel like getting slaughtered by the winds.
    On the Ginny side of Dunderberg, Black peak could be pretty awesome below the ridgeline, but if the lakes are thin it would be a bit of a sketchy proposition. There are parts of the Mammoth Crest that can be wind protected too.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

AM delivered today. Not being open or skied during that last wet storm was clutch. The entire mountain was a groomer with corn on sunny aspects. Beaver/Idiots were going off all day. Great corn and grippy smooth crust. Good day to get steep turns in. Much more fun and more terrain open than Squaw.

I know gimpy is down on the eastside right now. I'm interested to see what he finds. I'm gonna shoot for a Monday mission down there if reports are worthy.

Hadn't heard about this really sad story about a couple getting stranded at Burnside Lake from the last storm cycle.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/us/articl...ra-4099775.php

CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) — A Nevada woman survived on snow and tomatoes for nearly a week and found shelter in a hollowed-out
    tree after she became stranded in a winter storm and her boyfriend died trying to find help, a family member said.
    Paula Lane of Gardnerville was rescued Wednesday along a dirt road in the Sierra Nevada after her brother, suspecting the couple
    might have returned to Burnside Lake where they had camped before, took a highway front loader and went looking for her, the
    Nevada Appeal (http://bit.ly/TLP1at ) reported.
    Lane, 46, was recovering from frostbite at a Carson City hospital after spending six nights in the frigid Hope Valley in California's
    Alpine County.
    Lane and Roderick Paul Clifton, 44, were reported missing after they left Citrus Heights, Calif., on the afternoon of Nov. 29. Family
    members reported them missing late that night.
    Alpine County Undersheriff Robert Levy said Clifton had recently purchased the 1989 Jeep Cherokee and wanted to try out its fourwheel-drive when he drove around a locked gate blocking access to a road.
    After their Jeep got stuck in mud, Clifton tried to hike out to Highway 88, about six miles away, authorities said. His body was
    recovered along the dirt road on U.S. Forest Service land that was barricaded to traffic because of poor conditions and stormy weather ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I relished the brother "commandeering the frontloader" to rescue his sister in the shovel (presumably while the paid govt rescue folks commandeered the big TV with a beer in hand)

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14