Page 155 of 163 FirstFirst ... 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,875 of 4075
    Interesting.

Me'n Vets drove up that Caples Lake maintenance station road last summer, but quit about 1/2 up as it didn't look like there was any snow in the vicinity (if we're talking about the same ridge, then it was on the other side, out of sight!).

Guess I need to spend a few days just poking around in the 4x4 like I've been doing around Mt. Lola/Jackson Meadows the past few seasons.

Thanks!
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    intrigued by all y'all's Freel beta.

out of curiosity, the peak on the opposite side of Luther is Waterhouse, right? (I mean the one that is holding a lot of snow, but looks like a long slog from 89). So, then, what is that long-a$$ ridge that is slightly to the northwest of Waterhouse, again, the one that is holding a ton of snow (at least as of a week ago)? You see it really well when you are about 1/2 up Luther off to the right (if you are traveling toward 88).

also, have any of y'all SLT folks ever hit up Crater Lake area?
    you're looking at Little Round Top and Showers chutes as you drive up Luther.

and Crater Lake? Sure
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Yep there would be no snow on that side, hike up to the ridge, and that shitload of snow you see from the other side will be waiting for ya, just have faith;-)

The trail that starts near the camp just past a stream is not on a lot of maps and is different from the one farther up that passes under little round top. Anther option to hit that ridge is to go in on the pct from Carson pass when it tops out just before a little pond go left there is a faint use trail that traverses the ridge and intersects with the trail I mentioned from camp, you can continue on from here towards little round top and drop what ever looks good,
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 05-31-2013 at 05:42 AM.

I will assume you are referring to the Crater Lake between Steven's & Red Lake Peak. There is a road up to Crater Lake just past the turn off for Blue Lakes Road heading South on hwy 88. It is paved for the first 100yds or so & is then dirt the rest of the way. I have often left a vehicle at the snowline on that road & then hiked up to Red Lake Peak from Carson pass to ski the north facing bowls on Red Lake peak & down to the waiting car. It makes for a nice Spring tour, don't know about the summer patch skiing, but the north bowls do seem to hold snow for quite awhile.

Here is a photo from the upper bowl in June of 2011
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	900x900px-LL-8cf640e0_RedLakePeak015.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	138342

^yep.
    i've driven up that road, two summers ago, but got skunked out about 3/4 of the way up. didn't have my ski gear with me or I prolly woulda hiked and hit the ridge you see from the road.

if you zoom in on this map, they have the road tagged as "Alpine Mine Road":
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=highwa...en&sa=N&tab=wl

i was just curious if it was worth the trouble/what was up there since you rarely hear of anybody talking much about that part of Carson Pass/88 area as folks seem to usually hit up Red Lakes (the "Patches"), Blue Lakes ("The Nipple"), and Carson Pass proper ("Elephant's Back", Roundtop, Sisters).

Nice pic, though.

Uh, dude, something are just on the down low and all. Or were.

Put the summer wax in the Wrens and just have light tour gear at KW. Surf is about to come back on. I think I've put a fork in it. Good luck to you turns all yesters. This will be a true test this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Uh, dude, something are just on the down low and all. Or were.

you sure about that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down-low_(sexual_slang)

intrigued by all y'all's Freel beta.

out of curiosity, the peak on the opposite side of Luther is Waterhouse, right? (I mean the one that is holding a lot of snow, but looks like a long slog from 89). So, then, what is that long-a$$ ridge that is slightly to the northwest of Waterhouse, again, the one that is holding a ton of snow (at least as of a week ago)? You see it really well when you are about 1/2 up Luther off to the right (if you are traveling toward 88).

It has no name as far as I know. People often confuse Waterhouse proper and the peak next to it. I just call the whole thing Waterhouse... Close enough.

So, for a summer hike, what is the quickest path to the top of freel?

Crater lake has lots of great lines for winter touring. Never tried it in spring though.

opposite side of luther is mt thompson. you are talking about the showers chutes on little roundtop which always looking enticing but a pita to get to and from. nobody ever skis crater lake from slt. everybody just goes to powder/waterhouse.

Just got back to 'Merica last night from the land of endless winter (it was fucking amazing and you can see beta/stoke on Unofficial/State of the Backcountry if you want). Glad to be home, that is, on this Internet thread with 4000 posts or whatever

Heard something about recent precip, and possible singletrack silk in der Tahoe mountains? Also heard something about a lack of refreeze in Oregon ... hmmm, where should I adventure next while I've got the hall pass to go do whatever the f I want for the next 10 days?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

http://www.laketahoenews.net/2013/06...pansion-plans/

The U.S. Forest Service wants to know what the public thinks of Mount Rose Ski Area’s plans to expand.

The project area is located on Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest and private land.

The Forest Service is proposing to authorize a special use permit boundary adjustment for 112 acres on NFS lands to create the Atoma lift and trail “pod” to the north of the Mt. Rose Highway.

The proposed action includes the following components:

• Construction of a skier bridge across the Mt. Rose Highway (connecting the current ski area to the new ski terrain)

• Construction of 11 new ski trails in the Atoma pod, including snowmaking and grooming

• Installation of a new chairlift to serve the Atoma pod

• Removal of the existing Atoma building and parking lot

• Construction of a snowmaking water impoundment at the westernmost portion of the existing special use permit boundary near the “Around the World” trail

• Creation of a non-significant Forest Plan Amendment to limit any further commercial development on the lands acquired by the Forest Service through the 1994 Galena Resort Land Exchange.

The full scoping notice and map packet for this project can be downloaded here.

There will be two open houses regarding the project:

• June 18 Winters Creek Lodge, 4-6pm, 21333 Highway 878, Reno.

• June 19 Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest Supervisors Office, 4-6pm, 1200 Franklin Way, Sparks.

For more information, contact Linda Crawley at (775) 355.5377 or lcrawley@fs.fed.us. Comments will be taken until the end of June.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

TahoeBC/UTaho'/Driver/Gimpy/G: danke gracias for the Luther Pass/Carson Pass/Crater Lake and surrounding area beta; much appreciated.

In other news, I hiked and skied Webber Ridge this afternoon. Snow was much better than anticipated and the runs were much longer than they appeared from off in the distance (the lines under Webber Peak proper cliff out, btw). Continuing to explore and really dig the whole Jackson Meadows Reservoir area; lots of good/fun stuff lurking back there.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Just got back to 'Merica last night from the land of endless winter (it was fucking amazing and you can see beta/stoke on Unofficial/State of the Backcountry if you want). Glad to be home, that is, on this Internet thread with 4000 posts or whatever

Heard something about recent precip, and possible singletrack silk in der Tahoe mountains? Also heard something about a lack of refreeze in Oregon ... hmmm, where should I adventure next while I've got the hall pass to go do whatever the f I want for the next 10 days?
    Lets climb and ski this sat or sun. the patch(ish) area then walk across to elephant graveyard. or camp although i'll be trying to pick up shifts at work.

and on a somber note, i just realized one of the tornado chasers that died last week was Karl Young, a prof of geology from LTCC. Vibes to any that knew him as he sounds like he was I great addition to our community, and one who cared enough about his passion to follow it into the path of danger, which makes him a like-minded soul in my book.

Looks like I'm a headin to Oregon.

Lassen Thursday, anyone game?

Crater Lake or MTB/climb Bend on Friday
    Adams over the weekend
    Shasta next week some time ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I'd be avail to hit Lassen with you next week...

and, if you feel like some lower elevation stuff, i'd be down to show you around Mt. Lola or Castle Peak...plus I know there's plenty of stuff on the Carson Pass side (I still wish to poke around Crater Lake)...

Any beta on Roundtop/Moon//Sisters? I'm planning on a full day out there via Woods Lake next Thursday if anyone is interested. The plan is to hit Moon, then one or two lines on the steeps of Sisters. I called the Ranger's office and Woods Lake parking is open but the campground is scheduled for the 15th.

My son filmed his first trip to Mammoth...figured I'd share the stoke

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    http://www.laketahoenews.net/2013/06...pansion-plans/

The U.S. Forest Service wants to know what the public thinks of Mount Rose Ski Area’s plans to expand.

The project area is located on Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest and private land.

The Forest Service is proposing to authorize a special use permit boundary adjustment for 112 acres on NFS lands to create the Atoma lift and trail “pod” to the north of the Mt. Rose Highway.

The proposed action includes the following components:

• Construction of a skier bridge across the Mt. Rose Highway (connecting the current ski area to the new ski terrain)

• Construction of 11 new ski trails in the Atoma pod, including snowmaking and grooming

• Installation of a new chairlift to serve the Atoma pod

• Removal of the existing Atoma building and parking lot

• Construction of a snowmaking water impoundment at the westernmost portion of the existing special use permit boundary near the “Around the World” trail

• Creation of a non-significant Forest Plan Amendment to limit any further commercial development on the lands acquired by the Forest Service through the 1994 Galena Resort Land Exchange.

The full scoping notice and map packet for this project can be downloaded here.

There will be two open houses regarding the project:

• June 18 Winters Creek Lodge, 4-6pm, 21333 Highway 878, Reno.

• June 19 Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest Supervisors Office, 4-6pm, 1200 Franklin Way, Sparks.

For more information, contact Linda Crawley at (775) 355.5377 or lcrawley@fs.fed.us. Comments will be taken until the end of June.
    BRING IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    My son filmed his first trip to Mammoth...figured I'd share the stoke
    Taking those jumps just like dad.

He will soon be kicking your ass down the slope.

Great POV!

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Any beta on Roundtop/Moon//Sisters? I'm planning on a full day out there via Woods Lake next Thursday if anyone is interested. The plan is to hit Moon, then one or two lines on the steeps of Sisters. I called the Ranger's office and Woods Lake parking is open but the campground is scheduled for the 15th.
    Have not been out that way lately, but took this picture from Freel pass yesterday, seems to be a decent amount of snow in that zone still.

on my way there now (sort of). will report back.

Hit up Mt. Lola today.
    Skied a backside (northwest facing) line that I've never skied before. There's still a 3/4 top-to-almost-bottom giant swatch of snow clinging to the backside that is screaming to be skied (the boot-pack back up will be brutal, though, as well as the hike down and through Perazzo Meadow).

Also skied 3 chutes on the northeast (frontside).

Snow is holding up surprisingly well (although I did kick off an uber-mini wet slide on one of the NE chutes, but not enough of one to interfere with my turns).

Good day.

Planning to hit Basin Peak on the morrow.

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/nor...ood-permit-ski

FS wants public comment on Homewood permit
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.