Page 6 of 163 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    USFS land, if you want to hike it go ahead.. I will tell you the snow is super light.. you're going to hit bottom in most spots.. Hazards just under the surface... Personally want to make some turns as well, but unless we get another 6" to 12" I'll wait this one out... No need to blow up Oct 23rd in blower on dirt! Temps rise Thursday - Monday then drop once again...
    Coop
    From Coop, All good.

I got into Truckee a bit after 10 pm last night. Easily 2 feet of fresh at the familia abode in T/D (and we're low).

This morning, however, it has heated up and most of the accumulation on our roof has slid off and the roads are melted clear after plowing. It got close to 50 around 11, too. And there's blue skies.

But couple that with the I-80 sh!tshow I endured last night (and the fact that westbound was closed this morning) and it's game on for 2012/2013!

Based on what I see around T/D, I'm with Coop on waiting for another 6-12"...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by unpossible View Post
    They didn't last year, until they opened.

Instagram from Travis says yes: http://instagram.com/p/RIluXhh3M9/
    KSL didn't have official control of Alpine last year until after opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    I thought K-wood was on USFS land?
    I thought Alpine was on USFS land too. The Placer county plow driver said we were going to get towed and warned us of arrest if we hiked. If there are snow-cops, how do I get to be one? I would have handed out a lot of warnings today:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121023_091418.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	123616  
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    I thought Alpine was on USFS land too. The Placer county plow driver said we were going to get towed and warned us of arrest if we hiked. If there are snow-cops, how do I get to be one? I would have handed out a lot of warnings today:
    Where were you parked?

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    From Coop, All good.

where did you see this? on their page it says no hiking

I sent him a message on Facespace and that was his reply.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    The Placer county plow driver said we were going to get towed and warned us of arrest if we hiked.
    Plow driver =/= dentist, apparently. Heh.

Usually how USFS permits work is that you can hike on USFS land prior to opening day as long as you stay out of the way of operations. KSL vs. JMA vs. POWDR vs. Vail doesn't change that aspect of it.

Edit: Fuck, 4,000th? Really? Need to come up with something cool soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

so lepistoir, how was the snow?

PSA about the "Winter Stoke Throwback" and video competition (entries due Nov 1st!). Check out the flyer and get your highlight video together!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WinterStokeFinalV4.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	444.6 KB 
ID:	123620

most resorts have their bases on private lands and the issue as i understand it is whether or not they can prevent you from accessing the public lands through their property. i don't think they can prevent you, although i imagine if they want to prevent you from parking there they could do that.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Where were you parked?
    Started out in front of the main building, which is apparently employee parking. Moved further south over by the container, but not sure how legit that was. Best place to park is further N before the main building, next to the hill. There were like 6 rows of cars there when we were leaving, but it wasn't plowed when we arrived. So, for the 6:15 dawn patrol, I would go on the N end of the main building and bring your snowblower to dig out a spot for you and one for me. Thanks.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by h-atlas View Post
    so lepistoir, how was the snow?

PSA about the "Winter Stoke Throwback" and video competition (entries due Nov 1st!). Check out the flyer and get your highlight video together!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WinterStokeFinalV4.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	444.6 KB 
ID:	123620
    Snow was better than 60% of last season, nuff said. I don't know what to tell you. There was plenty for riding and generally 2-3 feet off the ground (up to 150cm, gauging system: sticking pole all the way into the snow). It was light and airy at the bottom, probably because plants hadn't been rained on and wetted to the ground first, creating air pocket, dense in the middle which occasionally trap-doored, with cold pellet/ground pepper consistency on top. One knee-deep shot was had by barreling into a drift. Apparently it is sliding at ridge line and carrying some distance in loose/soft-slab. Anything else?

On a more sober note there is a presentation on the Squaw base area expansion Nov 1 10am at the Resort at Squaw Creek, pertinent to the EIR. The plan is available on Placer Counties web site, environmental division, list of EIR's. Parking is pretty much skipped over. They mention podium parking,whatever that is, under all the new condo/hotel buildings. Phase 1 mentions a 500 car offsite lot, but not where it will be or transportation from the lot. The project will eventually consume ALL of the current surface parking, (don't know about the parking back towards employee housing.) I suspect day users will have to be shuttled in from who knows where (there's not a lot of land for parking anywhere that I'm aware of and the EIR should discuss the impact of new off site lots) and/or pay to park. I might try to go to the meeting.

Hola mi amigos,
    We would prefer you hike away from our work crews, CATS, Snowmakers & Lift mechanics... Be safe, smart, ride with a friend. Early season conditions! 26" + up top depending on where you travel. Lower portion of the mountain is sketch/low tide.....
    Lot's of obstacles, rocks, tree branches, scrub & shrubs...
    We will now have CATS active on the mountain as well as snowmobiles. Please stay/steer well clear of our snowmaking equipment & crews as they will be out in about on the mountain setting up hose, snow guns & related equipment. So much to do in the next few weeks to get ready for opening day! Nov 21st we fire it up! If you are dying to ride a lift Boreal is opening this Friday... Respect gets respect...
    Forecast for tonight looks like a few more inches to fresh'n up the terrain.
    Stay Thirsty,
    Coop
    "Great things are not done by impulse, but a series of small things brought together."
    VVG

Coop

Just got a text. Squaw will open for the day on Thursday.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

What? Now that is Epic. What lifts are spinning?

yeah - I might need to go
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

http://www.squaw.com/things-to-do/ev....mc_id=SOC0029
    $20, 1 lift. Monies goes to the ski team.

Took one lap in beaver bowl today. It was 2-3 up top with lots of wind loading going on. I broke of a 8 ft slab of cornice from around 8 ft back from the ridge line. It ran 1/3 of the way down the gully I was planing on riding but nothing else propagated so i rode down on the left of the gully. Really good snow,not quite as light as the turns from last october very ripable. Got a bit bushy down low getting over to upper kangaroo but I didnt hit any rocks. Should be good tomorrow, im thinking estelle bowl.

Cant get my vertical photo of the line from below not to rotate when i upload it. Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000368.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	807.2 KB 
ID:	123670   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000373.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	123671  

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    best sushi option(s) around Truckee / Donner / Tahoe City?
    There is a sushi place in Tahoe City, evidently enough its called Tahoe City Sushi. I've never been there so I cant say how it is.

There is also a sushi place in Incline Village called Yoshimi Sushi, and its AMAZING. plus they have all you-can-eat for a set price.

Another good one is Mamasaki (spell check) and its pretty tasty. But its located in the Squaw Valley Village so you can expect high prices and a lot of tourists.

Hope that helps.
    steezin the west
    reppin New Hampshire
    killin Lake Tahoe

and PowFiend, sick line!!
    steezin the west
    reppin New Hampshire
    killin Lake Tahoe

Are there any swaps etc. in the area coming up (other than snowbomb) or have they all gone by already? I'm looking for some cheap skis just so I have something to use, I've been stuck renting for the last few years and it's BS. If anybody's got anything between about 170 and 180 or so that they want to offload for cheap I might be interested too.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Max les schwab usually has a good selection plus a buy in the fall return in the spring if you end up not using them.
    Thanks, I'll check them out. I usually don't drive up when it's actively snowing so the return thing sounds like a pretty cool deal.
    Last edited by Max Archer; 10-23-2012 at 10:54 PM.

I think the swaps might be just about over
    steezin the west
    reppin New Hampshire
    killin Lake Tahoe

Truckee Swap is 1st Saturday in Nov & the UNR Swap is the next weekend.
    Pretty sure about these dates but you'll want to doublecheck.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    Truckee Swap is 1st Saturday in Nov & the UNR Swap is the next weekend.
    Pretty sure about these dates but you'll want to doublecheck.
    Oh cool, the Truckee one sounds like a good bet. (Checked and it's Nov. 3rd.) I bet that's a pretty good one for finding beater gear too.