Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1282
    can I get some beta on the three sisters? mainly access from Pole Creek? Planning on doing the traverse, north-south tomorrow through Sunday

Tried to hit Timberline on Tuesday only to find it pissing rain, foggy, windy and $60 to ride one lift (Pucci). Thought about skinning up like we did on Rainier on Monday (at least there it was only raining), but decided to go in search of Oregon micro brews instead. Ended up in Hood River.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by benk View Post
    can I get some beta on the three sisters? mainly access from Pole Creek? Planning on doing the traverse, north-south tomorrow through Sunday
    Pole Creek is technically open, but the road to get there is closed about 5 miles from the TH. We were talking about doing the traverse this weekend too, but I don't want to get yelled at or fined 5K for parking there. Another option is riding bikes up the gravel road, which seems unpleasant but doable. Make it a multi-sport traverse! Facebook tells me that we have some friends in common: my husband skied North with Rex last weekend, so call him for the full scoop.

We are planning on riding snowmobiles up to Broken Top on Saturday, climbing up and over, skiing across Green Lakes, up South, and back up/around BT to the sleds. I wear orange and purple. Say hi if we cross paths!

Quote Originally Posted by linds-o-rama View Post
    Pole Creek is technically open, but the road to get there is closed about 5 miles from the TH. We were talking about doing the traverse this weekend too, but I don't want to get yelled at or fined 5K for parking there. Another option is riding bikes up the gravel road, which seems unpleasant but doable. Make it a multi-sport traverse! Facebook tells me that we have some friends in common: my husband skied North with Rex last weekend, so call him for the full scoop.

We are planning on riding snowmobiles up to Broken Top on Saturday, climbing up and over, skiing across Green Lakes, up South, and back up/around BT to the sleds. I wear orange and purple. Say hi if we cross paths!
    Awesome! Thanks for the info, bummed to hear about the closure but the forest service website says it opens Memorial Day weekend so ill plead ignorance as long as there aren't any additional signs out there. I wouldn't be opposed to biking if we hadn't ready staged a car at green lakes.

See you out there! We'll have a couple dogs with us

I think our plans are changing, have fun out there! Just pretend you didn't see the blaze orange "road closed" signs while you were driving past...

A little late, but here are some photos from a glorious, glorious day on Mt. Hood and my first summit!

On Thursday during my lunch break, I happened to check out facebook and noticed a new message. It was from Asit Rathod: the outlandish Oregon ski personality I had never met in real life, but had recently developed an internet-based friendship with due to our common obsession with all things skiing.

"Hey hey Lady!! Have a 4am CAT for tomorrow. You and you husband should come join for a summit ski/party!!"

In the snowcat, we groggily swapped stories of ski adventures and speeding tickets while passing a handful of climbers slogging up the snowfield. At the top, the driver unloaded our gear and drove away, leaving us at the top of the Palmer glacier under the light of the full moon.

We cramponed up Triangle Moraine in the darkness. As the sun began to rise, we were treated to a rainbow-colored sky! It was magical.

Looking back (and I'm glad we did!), we were treated to a perfect shadow of the mountain cast on the valley below us.

Based on weather observations and beta from a descending climber, we decided to ascend the Old Chute rather than the Pearly Gates. We were experiencing a little bit of icefall as the rising sun began to soften the rime on the cliffs above us.

On our way up Old Chute, chunks of ice began whizzing past us with increased frequency. I wasn't too worried, as I had a helmet on and kept my head down. Then, one particularly large and well-located chunk of ice smacked into me... right on my right boob! Bam! That one hurt for sure!

We gathered on the summit for Asit's party. It was the first time summiting for three of us! We were all really happy to be standing on the top of Oregon on such a perfect day!

The descent was firm, then good, then soft at the bottom.

More photos and an enthusiastic TR are here! Viva Oregon! http://lindseyclarkdotcom.blogspot.c...climbnski.html

Great photos!

How's the snow around bend, sisters, broken top, washington?
    We are thinking of giving it a try next week.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums

I have been out of town, but I'm sure the snow is fine. I'll be checking it out tomorrow, and will let you know!

Thanks, and are the mosquitoes out yet?

We went to Bachelor today since the nice weather has returned.
    The new snow was pretty thick, but we had fun in the Cirque Bowl and went back for second helpings
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2272.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	787.5 KB 
ID:	138374

Sisters and BT looking pretty good
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2270.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	138375

No mosquitoes

Quote Originally Posted by linds-o-rama View Post
    I think our plans are changing, have fun out there! Just pretend you didn't see the blaze orange "road closed" signs while you were driving past...
    a big thank you for that info! We decided to start at Three Creeks Lake, dropped over Tam, then to Green Lakes and out. Great three days in the Three Sisters wilderness! Couldn't have asked for better skiing/hiking conditions

Verde, where did you park? I was up there 6/1 but there were no parking signs and cones everywhere at 5:30 am. Did you go later or park at Dutch?

Quote Originally Posted by SgtSkidmark View Post
    Verde, where did you park? I was up there 6/1 but there were no parking signs and cones everywhere at 5:30 am. Did you go later or park at Dutch?
    We got there at 9:30am or so and there were a bunch of cars parked just off the road at the Sunrise Lodge turnoff. We joined the crowd; made sure to park far enough off the road so the bike lane was clear and had no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Great photos!

How's the snow around bend, sisters, broken top, washington?
    We are thinking of giving it a try next week.

South Sister was great yesterday. We submitted at noon... Top was a little choppy still, perfect conditions in the middle of the descent, and the last bit before hitting the treeline was pretty slushy by the time we got there. I think if we had summited a little earlier those awesome conditions would have extended a little further down. We skied almost all the way to the road with just a couple patches of sidestepping over pine needles.

Did you guys see us climbing one of the chutes above Lewis Glacier? It took a while to boot up that thing, and I swear we had an audience the whole time... lots of little colorful dots looking over the edge!

I'm putting down a last minute cascade raid if anyone is down to join. I'd love a partner for any of the legs of this little trip if anyone is interested in joining ... especially for Mt. Hood.

Thu 6/6 - Lassen
    Fri 6/7 - Crater Lake, or MTB/climbing around Bend (anyone want to climb around Smith Rock? I'm a shit climber and can't really lead, but I'm stoked TR or following anything 5.9 or below)
    Weekend 6/8 & 6/9 - Adams with splitboard.com crew
    Mon/Tue 6/10 & 6/11 - Would love to hit Mt. Hood, but I need a partner
    Wed/Thu 6/12 & 6/13 - Would love to hit Mt. Shasta if my knee isn't too worked at this point, HW route. Could use a partner and am very familiar with this route (have done it 2x before).

Will have my MTB with me in case I get skunked on any of the above or my knee is giving problems (it's mainly a problem when hiking around with skis on back, not when biking).

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Schrap, give my buddy Lev at Cogwild a call when you're in Bend, he can give you the scoop on what's in good shape for MTB and hook you up with a shuttle.

I'm actually going to be in OR this weekend for some freeride MTB (shuttle weekend at Black Rock FTW!!), and have the next week off. Plans totally up in the air at this point but some volcanoes will probably be involved.

We went up to ride the Wy'east face on Hood today

The view yesterday evening from near our bivy spot off of the Meadows road:

This morning we got an early start and we skinned up through the Meadows area and then booted the last 1200 ft or so.

Fun turns all the way to the parking lot (Matt on the Wy'east face with Jefferson in the background)

Thanks for the beta, how much vert is that route?

Anyone want to hit Hood Monday and/or Tuesday?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Thanks for the beta, how much vert is that route?
    We topped out at 10,600' and skied to the base of meadows (5,200' I think), so it was over 5,000 ft.
    There's a nice bootpack in now.

One more pic to whet your appetite:

Anyone want to hit Hood Monday and/or Tuesday?
    I'd like to join you, but have commitments on Mon & Tues.
    Let me know if your plans change.

Any PDX Mags that could help a longtime lurker out with a Dynafit mount? Beers or other treats for your help. Thanks

Looks like the run of amazing weather up here is breaking down. If winds are light and mid mountain temps get into the 40's I'd still be game for a push to beat the storm on Tuesday, but most likely it's MTB weather for me here on out. Thanks for the beta though!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Anyone have any recent photos/beta on the Sunshine route? Thinking of skiing it this weekend if the bergshrunds aren't an issue yet.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry - Mark Twain

Off topic, but I have a friend in PDX who is looking for a bookkeeper for his small business. Anyone know anyone? PM me w details if you have someone u trust. Thx
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do