Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Don't be so sure about Avis danger. I've personally witnessed two inbounds Avis at Midwest mosquito bumps; one that bent a lift pole and another that completely ruined some old oaks and a run. Safety may not be 'out west' worthy but keep your head on your shoulders.

Here's to gettin after it in the Midwest.
    Agreed, any travel on a slope in snow requires some level of awareness. Not too worried about big slabs though considering the limited coverage in most areas and easy route selection compared to out west.

We'll be up at Bohemia Jan 23-26. That's my consolation trip for my Mt Baker trip getting canceled. BOOO! Anyone else gonna be in the UP that weekend?

not where the most snow was last night...
    about time we got enough snow down in the lower mitt!!

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...r-MI-A-mini-TR
    When seconds count...ski patrol, SAR or the cops are only minutes away...

If they call it Tourist Season, why cant we shoot them?

Saturday night to laaaate Sunday brought 20+ to the gnar that is Mt. Holly (just north of Detroit for the mitten impaired). While the corduroy army slew the center of the runs, a buddy and I got 4 hours of legit pow yoyo laps on the edges and assorted other mini stashes. Not steep & but deep and oh so fluffy. Oh yeah, ungroomed terrain parks with a foot and a half of fresh make for some very entertaining turns. Especially when the park rats shun them because they're not groomed.

Great first day of the season.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Going to be in the UP this weekend, bohemia saturday marquette perhaps sunday. No new good snows in the forecast, meh.

Just got back from Bohemia. My best trip there to date. The coverage and snow is amazing right now. Contemplated quitting my job, selling everything I own and buying a run down house out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ianjk View Post
    Just got back from Bohemia. My best trip there to date. The coverage and snow is amazing right now. Contemplated quitting my job, selling everything I own and buying a run down house out there.
    Good shit, I'm just prayin for it to get nuked while we are up there in a couple weeks. Been too long since my last face shots.

Had 6" in the trees at schuss today. More where it was blown in. Crystal is reporting 13" in 3 days. Doubtful, but I'll investigate tomorrow.

I'll be at Bohemia for a couple days during the first week of February, if anyone is around. Any mags headed to Ice Fest?

Where is ice fest? Haven't climbed in years, but still have all my old gear. Just need to scrape the rust off.

Quote Originally Posted by ianjk View Post
    Where is ice fest? Haven't climbed in years, but still have all my old gear. Just need to scrape the rust off.
    Pictured Rocks in Munising, Jan 30-Feb 2. They have demo areas with ropes set up, classes and clinics, and if you have your own gear you can climb about anywhere.

I'm signed up for the rescue course, which is Friday and Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard7763 View Post
    Had 6" in the trees at schuss today. More where it was blown in. Crystal is reporting 13" in 3 days. Doubtful, but I'll investigate tomorrow.

I'll be at Bohemia for a couple days during the first week of February, if anyone is around. Any mags headed to Ice Fest?
    I'll be in the UP a lot in Feb. Willing to drive to where it dumps. My buddy may be interested in ice fest as well... especially if the skiing won't be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Beakjones View Post
    I'll be in the UP a lot in Feb. Willing to drive to where it dumps. My buddy may be interested in ice fest as well... especially if the skiing won't be good.
    PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Beakjones View Post
    Going to be in the UP this weekend, bohemia saturday marquette perhaps sunday. No new good snows in the forecast, meh.
    It's snowing in mqt right now. antijinx.

Yea that storm really made the drive up suck... 6ish hours became 9 just to get to Ishpeming. Another 2.5 in the morning to Bohemia but it was all worth it for six hours there. I forgot just how much that place is nothing like anything else around here... Can't wait to go again. NOAA already has a statement about potential lake effect thursday and friday for N/NW snowbelts so I'm excited to see the john dee forecast tomorrow.

Bohemia intel and chatter please. im hitching ride with buddies skiing fri sat and prob monday.

love to hear about current and expected conditions

also if you want to race, im in black with fatypus dsenders - no helmet
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

As of last Saturday - base best in Haunted valley, least in EBC. Out limits okay, main runs good. Moguls of course. Snow predictions have been dialed back, hating the no big storms happening this year but at least we have base.

ALSO, whitecap is claiming to have received 30 inches in the past day. just sounds like total BS or someone measured a drift....
    Last edited by Beakjones; 01-17-2014 at 03:48 PM.

Friday was pretty frickin good. Saturday things were still soft but the masses tore it up pretty good. Got some snow yesterday, so that should put a decent band aid on the hill but no real accumulation set for this week. If yous guys got some touring gear I would bring that up just in case there is no snow....cold as fuck all week with zero sun though...you might get lucky, an inch a night adds up in the woods pretty fast!

in true UP unpredictability the forecast has been upped for the central and western UP snowbelts. Hoping to see Marquette county receive a foot total between now and Saturday. Headed up Friday, keeping my hopes nice and low.

I'm booked in the Bohemia hostel for a couple nights next week. Will be skiing Wednesday and Thursday, and then off to ice fest.

Bump for Bohemia beta. Was anyone up there this weekend?

The weekend was good. Should be massively wind loaded from a decent NW blow the last two days. I bet Lonnie shut the lifts down yesterday, because it seriously looked like Kansas out the window at work...Lots of downed old growth in the trees, Just an FYI.

Shaggy's has a demo day at Schuss Mnt this Saturday! I'm excited to try the Bootjack.

Quote Originally Posted by gibbssco View Post
    The weekend was good. Should be massively wind loaded from a decent NW blow the last two days. I bet Lonnie shut the lifts down yesterday, because it seriously looked like Kansas out the window at work...Lots of downed old growth in the trees, Just an FYI.
    Wednesday was beautiful. Sunny and wind buffed. I've never skied fresh snow so dense. I've also never seen that place with so much coverage.

Good times, can't wait to get back.

so last week Marquette was just finally starting to ski OK. There were a few slivers of ungroomed crud that were actually soft.

I get up there today and they filled both areas with the most retarded attempt at man-made moguls I've ever seen. Unskiable rectangular piles of ice boulders.

I had a talk with the manager/groomer who told me I was wrong and that it was a big improvement over last week.

I'm sure I'll keep going, but I'm getting closer and closer to just quitting skiing.

They make those ice bumps at Chestnut as well. Take a while to form but eventually they do somehow. Unfortunately they make them so close together you need 150 cm skis to actually ski them and of course any fall will hurt bad.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    so last week Marquette was just finally starting to ski OK. There were a few slivers of ungroomed crud that were actually soft.

I get up there today and they filled both areas with the most retarded attempt at man-made moguls I've ever seen. Unskiable rectangular piles of ice boulders.

I had a talk with the manager/groomer who told me I was wrong and that it was a big improvement over last week.

I'm sure I'll keep going, but I'm getting closer and closer to just quitting skiing.
    Yup.....
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.