Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2013 Midwest Chatter Thread

Post em up fellas:

Runs that should not be named, groomers that really shouldn't, rinky-dink mountains that should allow moguls that refuse...

You know the deal.
    I still call it The Jake.

Oh yeah, the annual post your stashes, wax angstatic over the hills we have to settle for, pine whistfully for the goods others get while simultaneously defending ourselves from the inevitable "sucks to be you"'s from "real mountain" dwellers despite knowing they are right and doing it all in a nearly incomprehensible run on sentence that turns in to a question?

I did something I swore I'd never do... bought s pass to Mt. Holly. 15 minutes from my office. Will get my 40 day goal one way or another.

...and speaking of things that should not named, does Dead Man's Hill go?
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Behold! Snow Trails ski area an hour north of Columbus, OH. I bought a $150 once-a-week pass for 300 vertical feet of thrills!

http://www.snowtrails.com/upload/ima..._Trail_Map.pdf

PM me if anybody is in the area. I'll be looking for people to head to WV when the snow is good.

I'm bringing my avy gear to Wild Mountain this weekend... I hear they have 100 feet of vertical gnar open right now... sick.

WINTER!!!

Any Western NY mags know what Holiday Valley is doing now/possible opening date?

I'm passing through that area before Christmas on some family stuff and wouldn't mind getting in a day if they're going to be open.

Guns on? Any lake effect yet? Their website doesn't have anything that I could find about how they're gearing up.
    Thanks,

Lutsen Mt. opened Sat. I did not attend.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

no triple at bohemia until Feb, bummer

Marquette Mountain blew snow the other day...

In other news, 60 and sunny here on Wednesday.

Sounds like a good day to go clear out the secret stashes...
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Looks like Cascade Mountain is also turning on the guns! Should be open this Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by brizz View Post
    no triple at bohemia until Feb, bummer
    Elaborate please.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."

Which ski for the midwest?
    I have a waist width quiver of 72 (head IM72 if I remember 2003?) 82 (sally pilot from 2004 ?) 95 Rossi B4 (2006? that I actually still use rarely in the west) 115 Armada JJ 2008, and 128 Praxis Protest that is new and would be my first choice elsewhere.

Should I have the old narrow waist head or sally shipped, look for something at the goodwill store, or break something trying to use the Praxis on ice?
    picador

Gearbox on triple is NRTS and needs to be replaced. They est. a Feb. 01 completion date. Double is good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by jon gaper View Post
    Which ski for the midwest?
    I have a waist width quiver of 72 (head IM72 if I remember 2003?) 82 (sally pilot from 2004 ?) 95 Rossi B4 (2006? that I actually still use rarely in the west) 115 Armada JJ 2008, and 128 Praxis Protest that is new and would be my first choice elsewhere.

Should I have the old narrow waist head or sally shipped, look for something at the goodwill store, or break something trying to use the Praxis on ice?
    Youll get the most from your Midwest ice craving training on Spats... preferably detuned.

So, BMillsSKier, I've been meaning to ask, do you really ski BMills? And if so, I would like to give you props for publicly admitting that fact someplace like here. I used to go down there occasionally for a friday night of laughing at the guys who would fully steeze up to get their 100 foot runs in. Would have made for some fun seriously drunk skiing if not for the sheer volume of seriously drunk skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    So, BMillsSKier, I've been meaning to ask, do you really ski BMills? And if so, I would like to give you props for publicly admitting that fact someplace like here. I used to go down there occasionally for a friday night of laughing at the guys who would fully steeze up to get their 100 foot runs in. Would have made for some fun seriously drunk skiing if not for the sheer volume of seriously drunk skiers.
    Not in at least 17 years or so. The callsign was more of an homage if anything back when I joined TGR. I'm always tempted to sneak a few runs in if there's bumps on Tiger after a few drinks at the Lizard when I make my yearly visit to the area, but BM/BW is a long way from what I remember in my head - they seem to have put the moguls permanently away in the shed at the directive of whoever owns the place now.

wilmot opens tomorrow. 180ft of the raddest vert in SE WI, 100% man-made snow awesomeness, can't wait.

After 20 days last year (18 in real mountains), I couldn't bring myself to buying a Midwest season pass with all the freebies and discounts from the Warren Miller films.

With a co-worker in Golden = a free place to stay in CO and r/t airfare running about $180 from Indy, it's cost neutral for me to fly to Denver, than it is to drive 6+ hrs north to Caberfae, Crystal or Nubs plus pay for 2 nights hotel.

So Epic Pass it is this year with 12 days already booked.

I'll get the rest filled with free or discounted evenings at Perfect North, Mad River, Caberfae, Crystal, Snow Trails and the Grand Rapids hills while traveling for work. The Miller films are still one of the best investments in terms of getting cheap hill access IMHO.

The guns are blazing laying down the prescription snow around MSP. Too bad the temps are forecast for the 50's this weekend. Hmm. to ride or to slide? Maybe both and throw in a paddle to boot.

I looked at the Epic Pass route with friends and family in Eagle and Tahoe it could have worked but other duties took priority this season.

Carry on.
    I never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Warren Miller film in Fort Wayne was nice to us this year, relatively speaking. 2 free days at Crystal, 4 midweek at Timber Ridge, 2 days at Bittersweet, 1 at Mad River and 2 at Swiss Valley plus the usual deep discounts at Shanty and Caberfae. Nubs and Boyne really need to step up. They sent reps and didnt have any swag or discounts. There were a lot of ski areas present that one must drive by to get to Boyne or Nubs. (I know you read this forum Steve ;-) )Even Intrawest sent stickers for WP, Steamboat and Snowshoe. Even a $10 discount like Crystal did would have been appreciated. Notably absent were both Perfect North and Cannonsburg this year.

Marquette Mountain opens tomorrow. Wahoo!
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Spirit Mt opens today, I will attend.

Hiked Mt. Ripley wednesday night. good creamy turns had!! Opens tmrw. Pretty shitty about Boho, but I think it will still be worth it. Also, I could stand to be in a skin track once in a while...for my girlish figure and all

Question for the Midwest crews.

Moved from Pittsburgh to Seattle 5 years ago for better skiing and backpacking (mainly skiing).

Was offered a promotion with my company in Chicago. Maybe 10k more and better job title.

Skiing and my dog are really the only important things in my life right now.

Being from PA I know how the general area is. Is there anything even remotely good in the Illinois area regarding the skiing backpacking scene? I know WV has good rafting and camping but that's a haul.

I'm pretty sure I'm staying in Seattle but wanted some advice from like minded individuals in the area. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Question for the Midwest crews.

Moved from Pittsburgh to Seattle 5 years ago for better skiing and backpacking (mainly skiing).

Was offered a promotion with my company in Chicago. Maybe 10k more and better job title.

Skiing and my dog are really the only important things in my life right now.

Being from PA I know how the general area is. Is there anything even remotely good in the Illinois area regarding the skiing backpacking scene? I know WV has good rafting and camping but that's a haul.

I'm pretty sure I'm staying in Seattle but wanted some advice from like minded individuals in the area. Thanks.
    Chestnut is a three hour drive and pretty decent once the get the Apache lift open, and can be real good when warpath is skiing good. I'm over there at least once a week from the other direction on my 99 mm telebombers... Good views, good beer, great snowmaking, decent vertical and pitch. Well run area.

Chicago is one amazing city. Lots to do.

AK47 - move to Chicago and kiss your Seattle seasonal depression goodbye.

You can always drive/fly to skiing with your bigger paycheck from a better city.

Or don't, do whatever makes you happy.