Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Zone is south of Petosky but I could give ya a ride if that's all that'd stop ya.

PM ed digits, hit me back.

...brought to you by mis-firing synapses.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Kewennaw did not disappoint besides Lonnie not spinning lifts today. Skinned a few laps with gibbssco and co. More stoke to come once I'm on the computer. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1393097344.442305.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	236.3 KB 
ID:	151190

Flat n shallow. Sounds good. I PMd you back. May take u up on ride offer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1393193623.222214.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	151243 flatNshallow in action on the up track ! Thanks man! Super fun day! Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by anemic View Post

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1393193623.222214.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	151243 flatNshallow in action on the up track ! Thanks man! Super fun day! Thanks for sharing

Beyond fun. Who would have thought knee to mid thigh with the occasional face shot?

If it stays cold and ... redacted.
    Last edited by flatNshallow; 02-24-2014 at 09:50 PM.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."

First I thought skiing in Marquette was disappointing because of the lack of terrain and snow. Then I thought nah, it's mostly disappointing because the management decides to mechanically ruin the snow on the only tiny bits of decent terrain, or adequately thin trees so non-mechanically-ruined snow is skiable for someone making normal turns. Now I'm thinking nah, not that either, it's so disappointing because of the idiots who ski here.
    Michigan is crammed full of people who buy all this robocop race equipment, put some plastic box on their car with stickers all over it then go pretend to be skiers. They're the ones clamoring for this mismanagement, they're the ones who think grooming everything and setting 5 race courses at once covering every frontside run is better than learning to free ski. They're the intermediate skiers pretending to be ski patrollers sideslipping down our only skiable mogul field. They're the college douchebags who insist on filling a whole side of our ski area with poorly constructed, malformed jumps and rails. They're the rich families from Chicago who pay to shut down half of the hill so their rude, entitled teenagers can pretend to be "downhillers" on a 40 mph 30 second course.
    Apparently none of these people can just go ski, they can't just show up and enjoy themselves without imposing their fences and gates and tents and liftlines on other regular local people who just want to ski a couple of hours before or after work.... because evidently around here every single thing has to be an organized team or a club or a competition. And each one has to have to have their own dedicated slice of the hill to wreck for everyone else.
    It's bad enough that the only skiing in this area isn't fun to ski, that's bad enough, but what's worse is people here are so stupid about skiing they think my years and years of dedicating my life to skiing, wasting my spine and my knees, turning my brain to mush with concussions, was this bullshit they do here...Believe me, if skiing and the skiers in CB, Taos, and Utah were this shitty, I wouldn't be here half-crippled and poor. But of course, they'll never understand; because if they understood they wouldn't behave the way they do.

I'm done talking about skiing, thinking about it...whatever. It's totally fucked here, it's so disappointing/infurating it makes me literally want to kill myself. It's a feeling of...just that this is so fucked up and I'm the only one who notices or cares. So I'm not going skiing anymore until I'm psychologically able to visualize everything being fucked and me not caring at all. I can't take the stress of getting this angry. Not worth it.

Sometimes I wish I could just enjoy it here like all these weird retards who love groomers and racing nastar and rock hard flat landings in the park...but I just don't. I don't know how you people do it.

Yeti... easy bro... deep breaths.

Get away from the gape, ski some bc and find peace.

[QUOTE=YetiMan;4197436
    Sometimes I wish I could just enjoy it here like all these weird retards who love groomers and racing nastar and rock hard flat landings in the park...but I just don't. I don't know how you people do it.[/QUOTE]

Dude,
    Everybody know that racers are douche-nozzles!!! Some of these same problems prevail up here at Ripley from time to time. At one point we had flat jumps covering more than 50% of the hill. People like to do stupid shit and mug up the hill...But all is not lost good sir!! Come up to Bohemia, I will show you the goods. Or a nice tour. There is decent terrain in michigan, you just gotta find it.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    They're the rich families from Chicago who pay to shut down half of the hill so their rude, entitled teenagers can pretend to be "downhillers" on a 40 mph 30 second course.
    Apparently none of these people can just go ski, they can't just show up and enjoy themselves without imposing their fences and gates and tents and liftlines on other regular local people who just want to ski a couple of hours before or after work.... because evidently around here every single thing has to be an organized team or a club or a competition. And each one has to have to have their own dedicated slice of the hill to wreck for everyone else.
    Sometimes I get so mad I want to throw their skis into the trees.

Then I realize that all these little clubs and races are part of what keep skiing alive in the Midwest, and even the park skiers with their million crappy little jumps and silly traverse ruts all over the ungroomed runs bring something to the table and keep the lifts spinning. I'm lazy, and if I had to hike for my turns in the Midwest I'd eventually just hang it up. Maybe that's shitty of me (I'm one of those intermediates pretending to be a ski patroller) and I don't "get it." Damnit, though, I have fun every time I ski, and always try to squeeze in one last run before close or it's time to go home. If you can't have fun at a ski hill....you're right, you should just stop. I'd encourage you to get involved, though, rather than write it off.
    focus.

M-If you weren't part of the 100 patroller hoard who gaped it up sideslipping, literally sideslipping, the best turns at MQT last week I wasn't talking about you. If you're not the problem, you're not. If you were...that shit was weak.

I get a happy, nostalgic feeling when I see 10 local kids running a practice course. I get a sick, pissed off feeling when I get to the hill and there's 200 suburbans with out of state plates and no place to park....no place to get away from the blaring loudspeakers, and every frontside run has 2 courses on it. Once a year? OK. Every week? Way way way too much.

There's no question that lift served skiing in flyoverland is bound to be a downer for anyone who has skied where there is abundent vertical and snow. I agree with getting out of the lift served stuff from time to time and just poke around in the woods.

It's not mountain skiing but it gets you away from the "collective" for a while.
    I never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Do you guys remember last year? Winter started about now. Ripely & MM had blower pow from about this time into May!

Quote Originally Posted by anemic View Post
    Do you guys remember last year? Winter started about now. Ripely & MM had blower pow from about this time into May!
    ANTIJINX GODDAMMIT!

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by flatNshallow View Post
    ANTIJINX GODDAMMIT!

;-)
    The disappointing thing is this year we have abundant snow but the lift served areas will still shut down the end of March. They're lossing money every day they need to staff the place and pay insurance for the few of us who want to keep going.

I'm already booked for Mountain Meltdown to shut down Lutsen mid April. Can't imaging anywhere staying open after that.
    I never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Crystal and Boyne Mountain will stay open on weekends as long as they can. Come on up!

Quote Originally Posted by digger View Post
    The disappointing thing is this year we have abundant snow but the lift served areas will still shut down the end of March. They're lossing money every day they need to staff the place and pay insurance for the few of us who want to keep going.

I'm already booked for Mountain Meltdown to shut down Lutsen mid April. Can't imaging anywhere staying open after that.
    Usually get another month of bootpacking/skinning 175'-300' gnar slush stashes... Some pretty fun stuff, especially when the runs end with water skipping rivers/creeks. Extra fun when you get 2' of fresh on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ianjk View Post
    Usually get another month of bootpacking/skinning 175'-300' gnar slush stashes... Some pretty fun stuff, especially when the runs end with water skipping rivers/creeks. Extra fun when you get 2' of fresh on top of it.
    That sits gonna be all time in N Michigan this year. There was 4 foot in the woods last weekend.

Chocolate Cake Downhill is March 23rd - always a good time. Winner hit 73 on Olympic face last year.
    Last edited by flatNshallow; 03-09-2014 at 01:55 PM.

Midwesterners, Boston Millers, Brandywiners, Holiday Valley'ers; we lost a really good one the other day.

A lurker here, but a true skier. A good old friend, a bumper, a friend, a... don't have the words but I think this works for now:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...bye-old-friend

posted over in PR cause that's how it seems to be these days.

Enjoy the spring snow at our rinky dink slopes that we all hold dear fellas. There's good people there, you know the type. Could have been someone we all knew.

The ski world is a little bit smaller today. RIP old friend.
    I still call it The Jake.

My sympathies BMills. Care to share any details ? Who where how etc?

I may have had my last day of Nordic for the year. It's been warm here and today it's suppose to hit 60. The snow was a little crusty, but very fast this morning. I think I got in 75-80 days this season, my best ever.
    I'm so glad I got all new equipement this year. Replaced old Salomon SNS 901 and 45mm wide Fisher Aircrown's with Rossi BCX-10, Rottiffella NNN-BC Magnums on Rossi 78mm BC-110 fishscales. The new stuff is so much easier to bushwack and I didn't really loose much speed.

Name:	IMG_0231.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	152204

Name:	IMG_0232.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	152205

Here are two of the best training partners you could ever wish for. Always ready the second my foot hits the floor and always want to go for more.

Name:	IMG_0234.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	152206

A little end of season stoke

Haven't been around these parts much, but thought the people on this thread might appreciate yesterdays stoke.

Nick Goepper popped in at PNS to help close the end of the season with a couple of slush pit runs at the annual spring carnival. They put a two foot kicker at the pit exit so he show off a little. Didn't quite nail the first landing, and went back for a second.

Not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Name:	NickGoepper01.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	293.7 KB 
ID:	152207

Name:	NickGoepper02.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	152208

Name:	NickGoepper03.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	152209

That's great that Nick returns to support PNS. Seems like a really nice kid.

I ended up getting two more days, but this might be it, as I'm flying to Aspen tonight for a week. This morning was 4" of wet, very heavy snow that would have been better on a fat bike.

Name:	IMG_0240.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	152380

Name:	IMG_0235.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	152381

Anyone know a hotshot kid that skis Bohemia with faction or moment skis. Apparently he skied over both my friends skis to huck a big rock

They were unimpressed

Oh he skis on surface skis. Figures
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Anyone know a hotshot kid that skis Bohemia with faction or moment skis. Apparently he skied over both my friends skis to huck a big rock

They were unimpressed

Oh he skis on surface skis. Figures
    Haha. Probably JT. (Just kidding).