Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14
    Change of plans: Heading to Bohemia Sat/Sun. Anyone going to be there?

Anyone up for an earned turn mission in NW Lower MI this weekend?
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by flatNshallow View Post
    Anyone up for an earned turn mission in NW Lower MI this weekend?
    I'm planning to hit schuss Sunday.

I could be talked into hiking if my sister bails.

bohemia bound this weekend and hoping the mini clippers produce a little and LES kicks in. Regardless beers at the north pole will be enjoyed. anyone planning on being around.

Early signs are pointing towards some more LES for the Keweenaw starting this weekend. John Dee has a pretty significant prediction for early next week as well. Unless something changes and Bohemia gets hammered late this week I'll probably save my time for better conditions, but that's only because it's a relatively short drive for me all things considered. If they can get some steady 4" days leading up to this weekend it should start to fill back in nicely.

Had a dust on crust day there recently. It's brutal with a few inches of fluff covering all the rock and wood in the troughs. Right now, a couple of inches is worse than nothing because at least with nothing you can see and avoid. That place needs a real storm.

Whole bunch of us MN/Wisco hosers/mags heading out for Thursday/Friday to brohemia and finishing up the weekend at the Porkies Look for receding hairlines, boots with bellows, wool sweaters and fanny packs full of barley water.

Sent from my TI-85 using TGR Forums dongle.

it wasn't great but it wasn't bad. light tenacious snow most of the time I was up there both days made it way better than dust on crust. rocks get pinged up there and its just how it is.

not where the most snow was last night...
    Area52 in the DPRA2 was skiing verrrry nice yesterday. Most pow for the area ever, but the base isnt as deep as its been.

When seconds count...ski patrol, SAR or the cops are only minutes away...

If they call it Tourist Season, why cant we shoot them?

Might as well give this topic a refresh...

Waited out the blizzard conditions last Saturday and made our way up to Bohemia on Sunday (2/15). They had a decent daily snow cycle going for a few days prior that greatly helped out conditions, but the 50+mph winds on Saturday pretty much redistributed everything. The Haunted Valley was pretty much boilerplate all throughout, wind scoured and just nasty. The extreme backcountry skied well early, but there were a lot of people there on Sunday and by mid day it was getting pretty well pushed out. There were a few good lines to still be had in there if you wanted to work for it. Outer Limits skied the best all day despite the crowds, especially if you didn't mind doing a little hiking for it.

Latest and greatest weather forecast doesn't look too promising for the Keweenaw and the substantial ice cover on Superior is shutting down the LES machine. Based on what I saw on Sunday I'm not planning any more trips up there until they get something more significant in the way of snow.

Too lazy to search through old forum posts so I'll post here. I may be taking a job opportunity in Madison for this spring/summer and know very little about the area. I'll be working throughout Lake Michigan. I probably won't have much time for skiing/biking/outdoor recreation but there's a good chance this job could lead to being in Madison for the next few years...

So, what's the lowdown on skiing? Biking? Camping/hiking/outdoor recreation of all kinds? I briefly passed through Madison for a day a few months ago coming back from Idaho and really liked the town (despite being balls cold in December).

Any helpful feedback is greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK. View Post

So, what's the lowdown on skiing? Biking? Camping/hiking/outdoor recreation of all kinds? I briefly passed through Madison for a day a few months ago coming back from Idaho and really liked the town (despite being balls cold in December).

I don't know a whole lot about Wisconsin, but all of the above are very good in the west end of the upper peninsula (UP) of Michigan.

I haven't ridden in WI, but I understand the single track is world class. Trek is based near Madison, and I think they have put a lot into local trails.

Camping and hiking are very good just about anywhere you go. If it looks like you will be spending time in Michigan, I can give you a list of cool things to see and do. If you'll mostly be staying in WI, I'm sure there are mags that know more than me.

Scratching my nuts in the Midwest
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

4 hours to Hayward, which has a ton of great trails...if you don't xc ski, start as WI has great trails for it.

Cascade and Devils head are the local areas. Pretty flat. Granite peak is an hour and a half north with more vertical but still flat and expensive. Bohemia 6.5 hours and awesome I hear but I have never been because it is over 9 hours from here. Chestnut is 2 hours and is where we have a pass every year but we are coming from the other direction. Way steeper than Cascade and way better imo. Mad City Water Showteam Is awesome and could be your hook up for summer waterskiing if you want to put some time in. Great town. Become a Badger fan. Widespread Panic shows in Milwaukee rule. Tons of crushed gravel trails on old road beds for road/cross biking. New Glarus beer. Wyalusing State park near Prairie Du Chen is awesome for car camping/canoeing. A lot of the anti Midwest propoganda doesn't really apply to Madison. SE Wisco and NE Iowa for trout fishing. Upper Iowa and Yellow for canoe/kayaking. Decorah for Toppling Goliath in another hipster college town. Plus everything to the north.

Props to Olympic medalist Nick Goepper for making a rad edit about coming home to PNS

I still call it The Jake.

Anyone from metro detroit wanna share a ride to boyne or nubs weds evening or Thurs EARLY for some spring storm action? PM or reply here.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."

Game on. Solo style. What could possibly go wrong?

Looks like Nubs in the morning, if anyone else is around hit me up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Go kill it! We are in the rain zone. Next year we need a new thread. The air is stale in here.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK. View Post
    Too lazy to search through old forum posts so I'll post here. I may be taking a job opportunity in Madison for this spring/summer and know very little about the area. I'll be working throughout Lake Michigan. I probably won't have much time for skiing/biking/outdoor recreation but there's a good chance this job could lead to being in Madison for the next few years...

Madison is a nice town...if you do take the job, and if you want to wakeboard at an overhead cable park about 70 minutes south of Madison, check out West Rock Wake Park in Rockford and message me.
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Drive up last night was sketchy - 6 hrs vs normal 3.5. Arrived 2am, no one answered the bell at hotel so i hit the lot and crawled into my sleeping bag. 6 of us fought over first chair. Maybe 100 people here total. Over the boot bit on the dense side. Most excellent day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1458837692593.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	178910  

Sweet! Way to get after it.

Tower glades yesterday.