Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moscow > St. Petersburg > Stockholm > Paris

Booked outbound flights arriving on April 19 in Moscow and leaving May 2nd from Paris. Tentative itinerary above, but open to thoughts and suggestions, including recommendations in each of these cities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Are the dates set? It's probably gonna be chilly in Soviet Russia. And from what I've heard (hearsay only) April is usually pretty crappy in Paris. I know you'll be there at the start of May but a month later for the whole trip would probably be good if you can do it.

edit: oops, flights are booked, never mind, it'll be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Are the dates set? It's probably gonna be chilly in Soviet Russia. And from what I've heard (hearsay only) April is usually pretty crappy in Paris. I know you'll be there at the start of May but a month later for the whole trip would probably be good if you can do it.
    No flexibility. Mrs. Rontele is doing a mission with Jewish Federation in St. Petersburg and Stockholm and since I cannot go on the mission, I am going with my parents...

So, we will all be Moscow together, then Mrs. Rontele goes on her mission while my parents and I do St. Petersburg and Stockholm, pick Mrs. Rontele in Stockholm and then the two of us go to Paris.

Walpurgis Night (or Valborgmässoafton) is a big celebration in Sweden that involves lighting bonfires, singing and drinking. It's April 30th, though, so odds are you'll be in Paris by then.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Walpurgis Night (or Valborgmässoafton) is a big celebration in Sweden that involves lighting bonfires, singing and drinking. It's April 30th, though, so odds are you'll be in Paris by then.
    Yes. We will be leaving for Paris on the 28th (tentatively).

No Alps or Urals!! You suck.
    #HughConwayMatters

I did not know that Jews go on missions. Live and learn.

I went to Paris in April and it was teats.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Gamla stan in Stockholm is cool if you're not tired of looking at old buildings by that point in your trip. Also lots of good attractions on the Djurgården island including the restored ship Vasa and Skansen (zoo/open-air folk museum). There's also the Gröna Lund amusement park, but I doubt it's open that early in the spring.

Not a conversion mission, fwiw.

Hermitage in St. Petersburg is amazing and you can probably spend a couple days there if you like art museums I think there is also a palace in the countryside worth seeing but it was 25 years ago when I was in both Moscow and (then) Leningrad.

April shouldn't be bad temperature wise but like anything else it depends on their winter. I was there in March and neither city was very cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    Not a conversion mission, fwiw.
    Then more of an Impossible Mission?

Weather in Moscow and St. Pete is very variable at that time of year, could be cold and snowy, gray and slushy, or warm and sunny. You'll have the advantage of it not being high tourist season at least. In Moscow, you'll want to hit the Kremlin, Armory Museum, Red Square, the newly refurbished Gorky Park. Beyond that, it depends on what your interests are. Plenty of museums. If you want to stick with the Jewish theme there is a museum of Russian Jewry and a pre-Revolutionary synagogue within walking distance of Red Square. In SPB, as was already mentioned, it's all about the Hermitage and also the Russian Museum. You could spend weeks in both and still not see everything. They're amazing even if you aren't a museum person. Also, just strolling on Nevsky Prospect. I'd also recommend the museum of the Leningrad blockade, it's off the beaten path but an interesting piece of history. PM me if you want dining/lodging/nightlife recommendations in Moscow (SPB is not my town, but I could probably come up with a couple of ideas).

Take high speed train from St. Pete to Helsinki (which is more interesting than Stock., imho, and worth a night or two). Take overnight cruise ship (Silja line) between Helsinki and Stock. It's a crazy party boat as tons of Scandies use the overnight trip to buy tax sheltered booze on board once the ship hits international waters, imbibing copiously the entire journey. Disco hijinx.

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
    Take overnight cruise ship (Silja line) between Helsinki and Stock.
    Sounds like a great idea. Looks like they also go between Tallinn and Stockholm, so that's another option.

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
    Take high speed train from St. Pete to Helsinki (which is more interesting than Stock., imho, and worth a night or two). Take overnight cruise ship (Silja line) between Helsinki and Stock. It's a crazy party boat as tons of Scandies use the overnight trip to buy tax sheltered booze on board once the ship hits international waters, imbibing copiously the entire journey. Disco hijinx.
    Used to take that with my parents on business trips when I was a kid. Didnt know about the party bit but I knew the tax thing.

Dont forget the time change there. It's screwed me before.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Be careful about the aids/ pervert restrictions

It's a prerequisite for politics now. He's prepping for 2016.

Consultation with OBF in Stockholm, right?

Moscow-hookers , totally safe. trust me.

Paris in April is great. I usually try to get there some time between late October to the end of April.

Paris in the summer is for tourists.

If I was a high roller like you I'd do one of those hitch a ride in a Russian MIG programs. Looks like so much fun.

http://www.latourdargent.com/

Pretty much the best meal I've ever had in my life. Sitting overlooking the Seine in this place while crushing Foie, wine and the best duck on earth is the tits. The wine list makes the yellow pages look like a quick read......

Cheap? No. Worth it. Fuck yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizhnik View Post
    Weather in Moscow and St. Pete is very variable at that time of year, could be cold and snowy, gray and slushy, or warm and sunny. You'll have the advantage of it not being high tourist season at least. In Moscow, you'll want to hit the Kremlin, Armory Museum, Red Square, the newly refurbished Gorky Park. Beyond that, it depends on what your interests are. Plenty of museums. If you want to stick with the Jewish theme there is a museum of Russian Jewry and a pre-Revolutionary synagogue within walking distance of Red Square. In SPB, as was already mentioned, it's all about the Hermitage and also the Russian Museum. You could spend weeks in both and still not see everything. They're amazing even if you aren't a museum person. Also, just strolling on Nevsky Prospect. I'd also recommend the museum of the Leningrad blockade, it's off the beaten path but an interesting piece of history. PM me if you want dining/lodging/nightlife recommendations in Moscow (SPB is not my town, but I could probably come up with a couple of ideas).
    Weather actually looks pretty decent. Leaving next week. Have a solo day in Stockholm and thinking of taking a boat tour to one of the islands. Thoughts? Any other suggestions?

Taking the wife to Stockholm? You should bring vodka to Russia and cigarettes to Paris. I'm literally on a plane flying to Italy for work and you don't see me packing pasta.

I really do feel like the whole world's gone crazy sometimes.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Taking the wife to Stockholm? You should bring vodka to Russia and cigarettes to Paris. I'm literally on a plane flying to Italy for work and you don't see me packing pasta.

I really do feel like the whole world's gone crazy sometimes.
    Meeting her in Stockholm. I hear there are some decent looking Swedish women.

If you like gorgeous blondes with big cans and asses like fourteen year old gymnasts, then yeah, they're alright.