Fritschi Freeride Pro Vs. Marker Jester Pro

How are the current fritschi diamir freeride pro bindings for in-bounds skiing? I have the original fritschi's - not as beefy as i would like for inbounds stuff. Have these been upgraded and are beefier for inbounds skiing? I have a sidecounty setup already - trying to decide what to mount on new Katanas. Or would you recommend a downhill binding like the Marker Jester Pro if most of the skiing will be in-bounds?

Stay with a binding like a Jester for that, skiing in the resort is tougher on AT bindings.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by Altaholic View Post
    Stay with a binding like a Jester for that, skiing in the resort is tougher on AT bindings.
    not to mention that fritschis are... um... not super well regarded? ....compared to others...?
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

If you're skiing inbounds and you can get by without an AT binding, why is this even a question?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    If you're skiing inbounds and you can get by without an AT binding, why is this even a question?
    Reason is, I am able to get the Fritschis '11/'12 sub $210...big price difference from the Jesters. But would rather get the Jesters if they are that much more for inbounds.

Quote Originally Posted by bicpm View Post
    Or would you recommend a downhill binding like the Marker Jester Pro if most of the skiing will be in-bounds?
    If you get a downhill binding ALL of your skiing will be in-bounds unless you want to do some hiking!

Consider if you really need an AT binding, if not, grab a decent alpine.

Quote Originally Posted by bicpm View Post
    Reason is, I am able to get the Fritschis '11/'12 sub $210...big price difference from the Jesters. But would rather get the Jesters if they are that much more for inbounds.
    In that case... get the Jesters. I wouldn't ski Fritschis as my everyday binding even if they were free. And if I was doing a bunch of skinning, I'd look at it as $210 that I saved towards buying dynafits.

The Fritschi is definitely suited to somewhere around a 50-50 touring-inbounds ration. If you'll be touring less than that, definitely consider a different binding.

What's your sidecountry setup? Maybe if its a lot different ski than the Katana you will find you still want to tour occasionally with your Katana. In which case a Baron or Duke could be the ideal binding.

If the sidecountry ski is similar enough to the Katana you'll likely not tour with it, I'd definitely say get an alpine binding. Jester Pros are great if you like how Markers perform. My favorite high-din alpine binding is a Look Pivot.

Finally, I'd mount my Katana's +1 or 2cm.

wow now we can get service advice on the interwebz that is west coast biased.
    ride the fritsche wave

Do you really need the Jester Pro? Go for the regular Jester or any of the other 16 DIN bindings and save some coin.
    go upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    In that case... get the Jesters. I wouldn't ski Fritschis as my everyday binding even if they were free. And if I was doing a bunch of skinning, I'd look at it as $210 that I saved towards buying dynafits.
    This.

Katanas are so stiff I think they would be even more inclined than other skis to show the shortcomings of the Fritschi binding.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

don't take the extra stack height and softness of the Fritschi if you don't need to. If you already have a side country set up stick to alpine binders.
    Drink to remember not to forget!
    Fourisight Wines