Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pack / Hiking boots

Any of you have a great ideas? prefer companies that haven't sold out.

mid to heavy.

lets start at 200 or below.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Danner... but they're spendy.

On trail or off trail? Any discussion about boots that doesn't start with the on-trail/off-trail distinction is meaningless. Off trail boots should be torsionally stiff for edging. On-trail boots it really doesn't matter.

Haven't sold out, mid-heavy and under $200...not sure you can get all that unfortunately.

EDIT: Looks like Danner does have a couple fitting the under $200 and mid/heavy although imported.
    "Wherever beer is brewed, all is well. Whenever Beer is drunk, life is good" -- Czech proverb.

the vasque wasatch is the only boot I can think of that will be under 200. its a good boot, probably made in china though.

most good hiking boots are gonna run 200-400 dollars, but you get what you pay for. I spend a lot of time in the summer in boots for work and recreation, a boot under $200 falls apart by in months, if not weeks. good boots will last you 5-10 years under heavy use, to me that's worth it. spend more for quality and have something last for years. if go cheap and get what you pay for.

so if you decide to get a nice pair of boots, i like full leather boots, at that price point its about what fits your foot, you're gonna have to go to stores and try some stuff on. I prefer full leather boots with less stitching as that's what always fails first. and if you have a nice pair of full leather boots get some "sno-seal" and treat them every once in awhile, it will help the leather hold up longer.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    most good hiking boots are gonna run 200-400 dollars, but you get what you pay for.
    Again, the analysis needs to start with whether you are going to use it 90% on-trail or do substantial off-trail. On trail boots (wide range, but no need to be torsionally stiff) and off trail (torsionally stiff) completely different kinds of footwear.

You can get very good on-trail hiking boots for <$200. Good light mountaineering boots (e.g., Scarpa Escape, Scarpa Charmoz, La Sportiva Trango) MSRP around $300, but usually go for around $250 if you shop around. My favorite full leather LM boots are Scarpa Escapes. Charmoz/Trango are similar but have synthetic uppers. I wear Charmoz earlier season (more snow) because they dry out faster, Escapes late season because the uppers are tougher on scree and talus. Good middleweight mountaineering boots (e.g., La Sportiva Karakorum) MSRP for $300 and are often offered at lower prices. I used that class of boots for 20 years of mountaineering. They are better for glacier slogs and pounding through brush, but I now prefer the Charmoz/Trango class of boots because they are lighter and have a narrower profile, better for edging on small holds. $250 modern mountaineering boots are way better than the best mountaineering boots of 20 years ago. Depends on what you plan to do with them.

But OP may not need mountaineering boots. Off trail or on trail? Start there. Really.

50/50 on off, smallish pack, under 20lbs, if that. Like a new go to boot. last pair were/are sundowners and danner ML2's. Both of these are way old, hanging in but old.
    don't need crampons, don't need plastics. Don't need a foot cast.

i need heavy duty, able to be legit for a 20 mile pull. The danners are nice but they lack some shit. However they were able to be resoled. So old school vibram style rubber compound would be good. Resole a plus.

bump it to 300 then, i expect the investment to last.

Whatever fits and is most comfortable from a reputable manufacturer like Vasque, Asolo, Danner, Merrell, etc.

Fit and comfort is the absolute most important thing for what you're describing. Blisters on long-hauls really suck.

I don't know whether my foot shape has changed or the manufacturers are using different lasts than they used to but I had to try on a ridiculous number of boots at two different stores before I found a pair from Merrell that wouldn't give me blisters on my heels. They've held up well for 3 seasons now but are definitely showing their age. It's very rare for any boot to last me longer than 3-4 seasons, I do too much scrambling on rocks & in loose talus and that tears up boots faster than anything. Usually end up wearing right through the leather upper before the soles wear out.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Well, definitely NOT Vasque Sundowner, then. Mid-weight and used to be well-made, but they sold out for Chinese manufacture and quality has gone right to shit!!

For mid-duty I really like the Asolo 520GTX. A well-made goretex boot, with few unneeded seams. Full-grain, good-quality, non-suede leather. I think they're still made in Romania.

By "not sold out", do you mean only made in America? Italy or Switzerland doesn't count?

Danner then. Plus that other US made boot that BFD knows about...forgot the name. PM BFD for the company.

I know most don't really consider Rocky hiking boots, more like hunting boots/surveyor boots...but I know people that LOVE them for hiking in. They're comfortable and well-made. I think that guy that walked across America, then China and Africa walked ONLY in Rocky boots and tennis shoes. And I'm pretty sure they're made in USA. Certainly not a sell-out company.

All those Scarpa light mountaineering boots sure aren't gonna be less than $200!

You might want to increase your price ceiling a little.....like others said....you can expect to pay between $260 - $350 and more for GOOD boots.

Your feet are important...don't sell them short !!

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Hugh Conway Guest
    with a <20 lb pack and long distances w/o a need for crampons or the like goretex trail runners are great in the developed world/developed trails

I've had good luck with Montrail boots over the last few years. My current hiking / light mountaineering boots are called the Blueridge IIRC. Good and supportive without being boxy and overly stiff.

Thread drift, anyone ever worn Alico boots? I keep eyeing them on STP where the seem to get very good reviews. Looks like a really nice traditional style resoleable leather boot. Made in Italy and not China.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    50/50 on off, smallish pack, under 20lbs, if that.
    Well, depends on what sort of "off." The ability to edge is the issue. Torsionally soft boots edge like shit, require lots of energy and fatigue stabilizing muscles, on scree, death-by-cheesegrater, firm snow, steep heather, etc. OTOH, some off-trail routes go fine with torsionally soft boots or trail runners. My personal preference is trail runners if I know I'm sticking to trail, and light mountaineering boots if I expect to go off trail. (Nearly all my backpacking trips involve substantial off-trail.) I don't have anything in between (i.e., more torsionally stiff than a trail runner but less than a LM boot) but I might look into that one of these days cuz I'm dialing my routes more mellow as I age.

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    bump it to 300 then, i expect the investment to last.
    Even the best boots won't last more than 50 to 75 days of rugged mountaineering. Perhaps 2X that for groomed trail, depending on the abrasiveness of the rock. I get a new new pair of mountaineering boots every two years, and I need them.

Re resoling, many full leather mid-weight boots can be resoled, but the cobblers (e.g., Dave Page) says don't bother resoling synthetic upper boots.
    Last edited by Big Steve; 10-11-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Cool. Thanks for the feedback Steve.

Although it's probably a debate for another time, I don't trust my ankles in trail runners on anything but the most mild boulevard like trails. I'd rather suffer the weight penalty and know that I have the extra ankle support in case I need it.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Probably not Goretex, but these Scarpa Delta M3s look pretty sweet at $117.00 on Sierra Trading Post close-out sale !!

Still not re-soleable, but check them out. Top-grain leather, not much extra stitching....look decent.

Here's the link for these boots:

http://www.thehappywholesaler.com/si...-For-Men-.html

You can also think about these slightly more upmarket Scarpas: The Scarpa Ladakh....I think they're like $300 or so. They're gore-tex and most likely a stiffer sole, but will be a little heavier:

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Hugh Conway Guest
    not sure it's a debate - most boots don't provide ankle support.

only drawback to trail runners is they have a shorter life than well made boots <- if you can find and afford well made boots, I'm not sure whats out there for a well made Sundowner esque boot now, I've looked.

I found a pair of LS Nepal Evo's for $350 once. LS fits my feet great and those boots retail for about $600. Bought them and have never looked back. Fall/Winter/Spring only though. I wear my loggers in the summer.

Tech Talk Bitch!!!!!!!
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I've had good luck with Montrail boots over the last few years.
    Last I heard, Montrail does not manufacture boots. They are made by someone else and labeled "Montrail." That's not a bad thing. Many Montrail leather boots were/are made by Arkos, one of the dozen or so manufacturers in the Dolomite valley where virtually all mountaineering boots have been made for decades. Arkos has good QC, makes nice stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    not sure it's a debate - most boots don't provide ankle support.
    Some do. Depends on the fit and the physiology of the user. A boot might not prevent an ankle sprain if you wedge your foot in a crack and fall, but a good snug high boot can keep your foot properly aligned and reduce fatigue and sometimes prevent an ankle from collapsing sideways. I have hiked and run 100s of big (25-mile+) days on trail runners and done 100s of big (say, 10+ hours) off trail days, and I can tell ya that my ankles and lower leg stabilizing muscles are more fatigued when I wear trail runners. (Nonetheless, trail runners are my choice for trail hikes.) Also, trail runners have a torsionally flexible mid-sole, which can actually be less fatiguing on trail for some people, more fatiguing for others. Think smearing vs. edging.

If you aren't carrying heavy loads and want something good for longer distances, go with a lighter boot. I wouldn't want a heavy-duty backpacking boot unless I'm carrying 50-60 lbs. on my back. Your feet will thank you for wearing a lighter boot.

That being said, I have a pair of the Asolo Powermatic 200s and couldn't be happier with how they've held up over the years.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

+1 on Tech Talk.

Another brand to consider; Kenetrek. They are big around here with the serious users.

I like Lowa. They make a wide fit which fits me well. Made in Europe, leather lining on some models.

Also have good luck with Zamberlan.

I really like zamberlan boots but they are pricey.

Happy with my Scarpa Kailash boots. Maybe a little lighter than you're looking for, but I can't fault them for anything. $208 retail, waterproof, vibram sole. Great for a more narrow foot.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Have a pair of vasque sundowners which have done me well, but they are now 20 years old. Beat up, but still have a bit of tread left. Sounds like not quite the quality they use to be. not sure they could be resoled, but so far have not needed to.

I've done plenty of hiking in trail runners, but don't feel I need ankle support. ymmv.
    so to answer your question, like a few responses here, I don't have any thing relevant to add, sorry.