Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

tyrolia adrenalin binding vs 2013 Duke?

I need a touring binding mostly for resorts but still with the options of touring with a DIN of 6, so that unfortunately rules out the Guardian. I'm contemplating either the Tyrolia adrenalin or the new Duke binding for my Klint Prime ski. Any reason I should choose one over the other? For those recommending Dynafits, I already have a a pair of Dynafit Speed radicals for my 4FRNT CRJ's for touring and resort.

For lower DINs why not save some cash/weight and get Barons? They're tried and true as opposed to the new Tyrolia offering. It may turn out to be awesome but it's untested.

Or why not save nearly a pound per bindings and go with the Marker tour F10 or F12. last years have improvements over previous models that appear to have remedied many of the wear issues of the first generation.
    Last edited by cooltsi; 10-10-2012 at 06:13 AM.
    Driving to Targhee

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupdoc View Post
    For lower DINs why not save some cash/weight and get Barons? They're tried and true as opposed to the new Tyrolia offering. It may turn out to be awesome but it's untested.
    That's not a bad idea but my thoughts where If I am already paying 380 why not pay a little extra a little more for an even burly binding? I have only rode on Dynafit bindings and I am really curious how a more traditional bindings ride.

Quote Originally Posted by cooltsi View Post
    Or why not save nearly a pound per bindings and go with the Marker tour F10 or F12. last years have improvements over previous models that appear to have remedied many of the wear issues of the first generation.
    My perception of the Tour series from Marker was that they weren't as good as the traditional Duke or Barons, I was mostly planning on using these bindings as a resort setup with touring potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldburg View Post
    That's not a bad idea but my thoughts where If I am already paying 380 why not pay a little extra a little more for an even burly binding? I have only rode on Dynafit bindings and I am really curious how a more traditional bindings ride.
    If you're only running your DIN at 6, you are probably light enough that you won't notice the difference in lateral stability between the tour, baron and duke. They should all ski well for you. Even a Fritschi would work well at a DIN of 6.

On the skin track however, you will notice a difference with the extra weight - especially coming from dynafits.

I agree with whoever mentioned barons above. It seems like a pretty obvious answer to me especially at such low DIN settings. I know they redesigned the marker line thise year but I have no clue what they actually did. Might be able to find some last years barons for a good deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by bite me View Post
    Texas is better than Hell? Maybe I'm not familiar enough with Hell, but it would be hard to imagine it being worse than Texas.

Funny that no one has addressed actual comparo in OP title. Tyrolia sells a zillion bindings a year worldwide typically for less per unit profit than Marker, but obviously doesn't have a marketing department that plans ahead. For the record, the Adrenalin is 76 g heavier than the Baron, so call it a near wash, seems to have a decently thought out design, and uses a touch more non-load bearing aircraft grade plastic bits than its competitors, so that + lack of spokesperson talking it up = instant death around these parts.

Get the new Baron and then you can join in the complaint thread next season, which will be more fun than the Adrenalin's wait-and-see-too-much-plastic thread this year.

Quote Originally Posted by cooltsi View Post
    This. Minus hype and marketing, most Duke/Adrenaline/Tracker users, especially smaller folks running a lower DIN, would probably prefer the Marker Tour bindings.

If my skis only have a width of 91mm and the Marker series Brakes on the Baron and Duke are 110mm, can I bend the brakes in to fit the ski?

If my skis only have a width of 91mm and the Marker series Brakes on the Baron and Duke are 110mm, can I bend the brakes in to fit the ski?
    Yes, you can.

You can get 90mm brakes for the Marker "royal family" bindings. In fact, most shops would probably trade you 90mm brakes for your unused 110 brakes.

Bending 90mm -> 91mm is better than bending 110mm->91mm.

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    You can get 90mm brakes for the Marker "royal family" bindings. In fact, most shops would probably trade you 90mm brakes for your unused 110 brakes.

Sounds good. Anyone know the warranty on Marker bindings? My local shop (Marmot Mountain Works) has a good price on them but hesitant because I would prefer to buy them from a place like REI or Backcountry for Warrenty reasons.

Funny that no one has addressed actual comparo in OP title. Tyrolia sells a zillion bindings a year worldwide typically for less per unit profit than Marker, but obviously doesn't have a marketing department that plans ahead. For the record, the Adrenalin is 76 g heavier than the Baron, so call it a near wash, seems to have a decently thought out design, and uses a touch more non-load bearing aircraft grade plastic bits than its competitors, so that + lack of spokesperson talking it up = instant death around these parts.
    Funny how this happens in every single thread asking advice be it skis, bindings etc. Nothing new, personally I am anti marker just from dealing with customers broken markers all the time and I still recommended the Baron. I don't care what any company has done to improve upon others existing designs, until it has been tested on a broad scale in the real world I don't trust it. I know I'm not the only one that refuses to buy the first model year of any products. Wait til they tweak it the next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by bite me View Post
    Texas is better than Hell? Maybe I'm not familiar enough with Hell, but it would be hard to imagine it being worse than Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    This. Minus hype and marketing, most Duke/Adrenaline/Tracker users, especially smaller folks running a lower DIN, would probably prefer the Marker Tour bindings.
    I use the tour 12 last year after 3 years of the duke/dynafit/plum. I feel like it skis just like the Duke but tours much better. The duke may be slightly more damp in firm spring and bumps.

That said I have some adrenalines on order I like the idea of the lower stack height.

There is just too much irrelevant banter in this thread to get a real comparison.

^^^^ Because almost no one's skied the Adrenalin, so no point of comparison. Back to irrelevant banter: This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSsQIFZm_y4 and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=FEZFP1eVoVo indicate that the Adrenalin has plenty of metal (mostly) where it counts, I like the AFD adjustments, and I like the attention to the toe, looks beefy at force points, less likely to get sloppy or break in a forward fall. Two issues that need some on-slope reality checks IMO are the plate (not metal but fiberglass/resin impregnated polymer) and that heel release, although it looks like pretty positive engagement in the video. It would take some creatively bad skiing to accidentally release that with the other ski.

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    I use the tour 12 last year after 3 years of the duke/dynafit/plum. I feel like it skis just like the Duke but tours much better. The duke may be slightly more damp in firm spring and bumps.

That said I have some adrenalines on order I like the idea of the lower stack height.
    I'd hope you like more then that, website spec's Adrenalin/36mm stack height, same as Tour/Duke/Barron. That said, i'm interested in the Adrenalin too.
    I'm 140lbs, @ my age etc., DIN chart would have me at a 5 - 5.5, shop techs have been setting my Demo ski's at 6.5. Obviously, i don't need a high DIN beef rail AT binder.
    I had spoke with Marker USA reps and the guy who does their warranty repairs and was advised to go with the Barron's, Tours being primarily for those touring on them with little to no lift serve resort use.

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    Thin Cover, how much are they, as I did a Google search and got nothing?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

If you're not worried about price... why on earth are you skiing the Klints?

/drift

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    Actually, I am not aware of any 90mm nominal brake that would require bending to fit a 91mm-wide ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    Because almost no one's skied the Adrenalin, so no point of comparison.
    This. Although, as a Tyrolia fanboy, I'd gladly trade my OG Dukes for Adrenalins.
    not counting days 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Retail is $425 on the Adrenaline. My brother and I are also going to be on them this year, so I will report back once we have some time with them.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    If you're not worried about price... why on earth are you skiing the Klints?
    Got them for 200$, question is why wouldn't you ride them for 200$? The Klint Prime has got good reviews from Powdermag and FreeSkier I was not to concerned about the price of bindings because they are all relatively similar in price.

/Rant

Ended of picking up some Marker Barons at my local ski shop ( Marmot Mountain Works) for 279$ before tax!

The word-on-the-street feedback appears to be a lot less favorable, with the only consistent positive being the price.

That said, there's something to be said for buying top-of-the-line bindings regardless, because they'll almost certainly outlast the skis.
    not counting days 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    PM mtskier.

I was by his shop this wekend, but he was closed. I peeked through the window at his purdy new wall of 2013 skis, and sitting there on a display stand was a brand new pair of Tyrolia Adrenalines.

Could not see a price through the window, but he is solid guy to work with.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Anybody have a chance to test the Adrenalin's yet?

Quote Originally Posted by weasel1 View Post
    Retail is $425 on the Adrenaline. My brother and I are also going to be on them this year, so I will report back once we have some time with them.
    Bumping up an old thread to see if you've had a chance to test these out yet. Looking at them as replacements for Fritschi Freerides.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

I have them mounted up, but with current conditions, no time on the snow yet. I posted up my first impressions elsewhere in TT. I have to say, I am stoked to see how they ski. I really like the fact that ALL of the touring mechanism pieces are metal. I like that the tour switch is not underfoot, and accidental tour-mode engagement (auto-tele) seems to be all but impossible, given the short lever, it's placement and its design. My only nostalgia so far for the Duke? I really liked the heel piece of the Duke, felt a lot like the Look heel. I am not as keen on the run-of-the-mill heel on the Adrenalin, but then I don't think it is any different really from the Guardian, in most respects. More later this week when I should have a run or two and a short skin on them at least.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan