Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why you are lame and instagram isnt.

There is a lot of instagram hate going around. Just because your facebook friends suck at it doesnt mean everyone else has to. Im going to give you 10 solid reasons why instagram is awesome... especially considering that flickr is pretty much dead/dying.

This is just a sample of what I have stumbled across today.

1. @elizabeth_huey

2. @Deadsailor

3. @mwriston

4. @ohheygreat

5. @doublecap

6. @stephenleopold

7. @brandondoran

8. @benjaminheath

9. @rustyamigo

10. @hillytincan
    Last edited by single; 10-09-2012 at 01:03 AM.

What makes those great in your opinion? The de-saturation? The square form factor?

What did Instagram add to the art? I have no problem with a vehicle to easily share photos, but those are rather pedestrian, IMHO.

Considering that everyone has different tastes in "photography" (I use that term loosely, it's more like documentation these days), I'm not sure what any of these pictures have to do with the justification of why Instragram is awesome. They're all of similar style, and that style isn't for everyone. Just like how Facebook isn't for everyone... to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    What makes those great in your opinion? The de-saturation? The square form factor?

What did Instagram add to the art? I have no problem with a vehicle to easily share photos, but those are rather pedestrian, IMHO.
    Fair enough. To address point by point, first off, if you look at these images on a cell phone you will see they aren't as faded. They might be for a computer screen, but that's not the ideal viewing medium. Even looking at these on the tgr cell phone apps is more accurate. Square form is just easy for viewing and user interface. So, neither of those points are really perks to me, as they are just part of the medium.

Instagram added a photo sharing platform for photos that would otherwise go unappreciated as art. Before IG, cell phone photos made it as far as Facebook, and maybe some blogs. Now it enables people who might not otherwise pursue photography, or someone who is an enthusiast who always has their phone but not their camera, to make and share images. It gives people easy and regular access to art.

An interesting example is @pinkpanda113 if you have viewing abilities. I found her stream the other day. She is a teenage girl from china who has a killer eye for street and portraiture. This could be a great segue for her into the photo world. I don't read mandarin, so I don't know her photographic background, so it might be an idealistic/romantic viewpoint of her stream, but it is definitely possible to find photography through instagram because I have friends who have done this. This is just a more interesting example than some dude in Spokane.

From a non-photographic and more of a sociological/anthropological perspective, it's really fun to follow people from all over the world. It's super insightful into global cultures, and the similarities and differences between them. I follow people from every region of the world and it is super fun to get updates on whats going on in the life of someone in Beijing, or Abu Dhabi, or Tehran, or Oslo, or brazil. Obviously this is going to be skewed to more affluent within those cultures, but the way things are going, data plans arent far away from being in the hands of people we may consider living in (relative) poverty. I'm not saying the IG can create world peace, but I am saying it could help. I respect twitter in the same way. This social networking is very powerful, and very different from "friend" based networking due to the anonymity and lack of privacy.

The way my response is going, this should probably be in the padded room, but it's more fun to talk to people in this environment.

I understand that my tastes often differ from the tgr norm. I totally get that. This is my bread and butter, my curated selection.

I am sure that if you got onto instagram you would find something you would like. What kind of work are you into tipp? I would be interested in trying to find it.
    Last edited by single; 10-09-2012 at 10:13 AM.

First off, I want to qualify by asking people not to take the title as a personal insult, it's just a hook. I am not referencing tipps or smmokans posts in saying this, as they both have good points/questions offered in a respectful manner. Just wanted to get that out.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Considering that everyone has different tastes in "photography" (I use that term loosely, it's more like documentation these days), I'm not sure what any of these pictures have to do with the justification of why Instragram is awesome. They're all of similar style, and that style isn't for everyone. Just like how Facebook isn't for everyone... to each his own.
    First off, what is photography if it isn't documentation? That seems like a strange statement. And these days? Look at photography since the inception of the craft.

My argument would be that everyone's style is likely represented on IG. Like I said before, this is what I'm into. Post up some photographers/work and I will show you their cell phone equivalent. I'd be curious to see what you think. There's a ton of landscape, portraiture, street photogs, etc.

I don't see how IG can be compared to Facebook. Maybe Flickr. And I would make the argument that pretty much any photog could be into IG, and if not into it, respect it as a medium. Unless you have a hard time seeing small stuff because then it would suck.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't really care about looking at cell phone photography on a cell phone. I like viewing photography on a real computer screen, or in person. There's enough of it on websites and photo forums to keep me busy- I could care less about the photo streams on IG. I'm sure there's some good stuff on there, but there's good stuff everywhere if you're willing to wade through shit to find it.

I have no problem with a vehicle to easily share photos, but those are rather pedestrian, IMHO.
    Sometimes there is great art in the pedestrian. And perhaps the cool thing about Instagram is that it can get people into thinking about not simply snapping a pic, but about exploring ways to put meaning and even art into their photos....bringing a dialogue of texture and light into their conversations.

And if Instagram is a way for some to explore these new found photographic expressions, so much the better.

I happen to like #7 especially. And #8 seems to convey the simple grace of the artisan in his element.
    And that is a REALLY sweet Karman-Ghia in #2 !!

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I like viewing photography on a real computer screen
    Just going to quote that.

What I am really curious about is your differentiation between photography and documentation.

I don't want to make the assumption that you are saying cell phone photography isn't on the same level as digital photography, which in its most basic form, is exactly the same thing. But.. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    Just going to quote that.

What I am really curious about is your differentiation between photography and documentation.

I don't want to make the assumption that you are saying cell phone photography isn't on the same level as digital photography, which in its most basic form, is exactly the same thing. But.. Are you?
    No, I was actually more referring to "event documentation"... the phenomenon I see everywhere these days that people are more concerned with visually documenting an event (via phone, cell phone, video camera, etc) than actually experiencing the event itself. It's depressing to see all these people staring into their tiny little screen/viewfinder when something important is happening, just so they can post their horrible picture on FB, IG, or wherever. It's a small subset of what we're talking about, so it's not entirely relevant, but that's my point.

From a non-photographic and more of a sociological/anthropological perspective, it's really fun to follow people from all over the world. It's super insightful into global cultures, and the similarities and differences between them. I follow people from every region of the world and it is super fun to get updates on whats going on in the life of someone in Beijing, or Abu Dhabi, or Tehran, or Oslo, or brazil. Obviously this is going to be skewed to more affluent within those cultures, but the way things are going, data plans arent far away from being in the hands of people we may consider living in (relative) poverty. I'm not saying the IG can create world peace, but I am saying it could help. I respect twitter in the same way. This social networking is very powerful, and very different from "friend" based networking due to the anonymity and lack of privacy.
    This is a great point and any traveler would appreciate this view into far reaches of the world.

Some day I will splurge and get a smart phone

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mtcham View Post
    This is a great point and any traveler would appreciate this view into far reaches of the world.
    I dunno the instagram views into the world are like the blogs from the other side of the world - people with smartphones connected to the web/social media are pretty much the same and take pictures of the same shit. self-promotion/self-aggrandizement/posturing.

yes, there's some interesting stuff, and a few of the curated instagram feeds are interesting but fuck... there's so much media out there.

I don't know, to me it's kind of like the overdone HDR or the miniature effect. When you first see it it's interesting for the novelty, but then that novelty wears off and it starts getting annoying.

I think that one of the cooler things about instagram is that it opens up photography to people who have no interest in the technical side of it. By that I mean spending hours geeking out over camera tech, spending thousands on said gear and hours in the digital darkroom massaging one's photos. i.e. myself and everyone else here.

Ms. Dromond really digs it and now spends a good amount of time taking pictures where before she did not.

@sqs

Hugh Conway Guest
    Other than a good means to share (the key part) and the crappy filters (the bad part) it was the smarthphone that did most.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I think that one of the cooler things about instagram is that it opens up photography to people who have no interest in the technical side of it.
    But isn't this just another way of saying "snapshots" which have been popular (at least) since Kodak introduced the Brownie camera in the early 1900s?

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    @sqs
    Your wife has a good eye.

And totally agree on the gear part. I posted some stuff to my Flickr from IG that I am actually proud of. One of the photos even got explored, not that it means anything anymore. But I was surprised with just my cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    I dunno the instagram views into the world are like the blogs from the other side of the world - people with smartphones connected to the web/social media are pretty much the same and take pictures of the same shit. self-promotion/self-aggrandizement/posturing.
    When I went to Vietnam last year I met a couple homies with smart phones (fake iPhones) with IG that were pretty damn different from me. But that isn't even the point. Seeing the similarities is just as crucial as seeing the differences.

yes, there's some interesting stuff, and a few of the curated instagram feeds are interesting but fuck... there's so much media out there.
    Truth. You have to pick and choose.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I don't know, to me it's kind of like the overdone HDR or the miniature effect. When you first see it it's interesting for the novelty, but then that novelty wears off and it starts getting annoying.
    What novelty do good photographs have that wear off? I fail to see your point, unless you are still assuming that all instagram is is sepia filters and overdone blurring.

But isn't this just another way of saying "snapshots" which have been popular (at least) since Kodak introduced the Brownie camera in the early 1900s?
    No. Because not everyone without a dslr is only capable of "snapshots."

I don't get the instagram hate either. Not hard to understand and appreciate that it has been a fundamental gateway to photography for so many that were never interested before or never had the funds to buy a separate camera. But ultimately and like everything else, one person's stoke is another person's diarrhea.

What novelty do good photographs have that wear off?
    The fact that they rely on gimmickry to too great an effect. Let's use a music analogy. Anytime I hear that T-Pain Auto-Tune effect I'm immediately turned off. Maybe it could be a great song otherwise, but you hear the Auto-Tune and can't get past it. I'm sure there are lots of good Instagram shots out there, too, but as soon as I see a washed out, square format photo I'm turned off by it at this point.

That said, anything that gets people into photography is cool. Anyone serious about it is going to move beyond the camera on their phone pretty quickly.
    Last edited by The AD; 10-09-2012 at 01:55 PM.

I always tell Instagram haters that they must have boring friends. It's also worth noting that the excessive use of all the filters and blurring has toned down considerably. But whatever, to each his own.

The next MCP should be "instagram." lol.
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Not hating on it - like I said, the sharing aspect is pretty cool. I just don't get the "art" part. Sure there are some photos taken with cellphones that are appealing to me (I know it when I see it, Single) but the vast majority are pointless crap. Ooh look - yet another crumbling staircase/field/jalopy/door/etc... after a while they all look like those crappy cards they used to have in bar bathrooms. Maybe I'm just jaded, but it seems to be the "million monkeys" approach.

The fact that they rely on gimmickry to too great an effect. Let's use a music analogy. Anytime I hear that T-Pain Auto-Tune effect I'm immediately turned off. Maybe it could be a great song otherwise, but you hear the Auto-Tune and can't get past it. I'm sure there are lots of good Instagram shots out there, too, but as soon as I see a washed out, square format photo I'm turned off by it at this point.

That said, anything that gets people into photography is cool. Anyone serious about it is going to move beyond the camera on their phone pretty quickly.
    But what you're saying is akin to not liking all music produced with electronics because you don't like autotune. Hate the fad not the vehicle I guess. I dislike "artsy" washed out photos of sidewalks no matter if I see them on Instagram or on Flickr/500px. Instagram for me is a great social network and a great way to share photos when I'm away from my computer and just want to share a shot of what I'm up to, do some quick development (I use snapseed and share on INstagram with no filters all the time) and push it out to Instagram, facebook, twitter, etc. It's a tool and when used correctly it can be pretty cool. It might be alot of photos of food and artsy crap and mundane people's lives but there is also some really cool stuff on there from the likes of Jimmy Chin, both the Provo brothers, NASA, the natgeo account, and others.

Not hating on it - like I said, the sharing aspect is pretty cool. I just don't get the "art" part. Sure there are some photos taken with cellphones that are appealing to me (I know it when I see it, Single) but the vast majority are pointless crap. Ooh look - yet another crumbling staircase/field/jalopy/door/etc... after a while they all look like those crappy cards they used to have in bar bathrooms. Maybe I'm just jaded, but it seems to be the "million monkeys" approach.
    Looked at flickr lately?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Chase Jarvis's "best camera" app was a better camera app that got killed by the much better "social" side of Instagram.

Are you a ten year old girl Tahoe_J? I dunno, many of the listed "great" feeds just don't do it - I like Jimmy Chin's photos much more when they aren't filtered to death. Instagram crappifies them.

It's like music I guess. some people actually like dubstep.

Whatever floats your boat.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

It's about as cool as myspace, I guess.