Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pizza!

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Toppings on a pizza are irrelevant. It's all about the crust, baby.

#1 for me is a true New Haven style, like Pepe's or Sally's. Pick it up, no fold (cause the pieces aren't usually wide enough).

#2 is a really good neopolitan, with the little blistered spots on the crust that show the oven was running around 1000 degrees. (Basta and Locale in Boulder have a solid version when at their best; Pizzeria Bianco in Arizona is the archetype in the US; and apparently Motorino in NYC is the balls as well, though I haven't tried it yet.) Fork and knife, usually not cut into slices.

#3 is Italian bakery pizza, the kind you get out of a window in the back of... an Italian bakery, duh. Micucci's in Portland, Maine is a good one. Eat out of hands sitting on the front steps.

(Greek style is really greasy and usually uses cheddar cheese along with the mozz. Any place in New England that calls itself a "House of Pizza" is probably Greek.)
    No love for Ricetta's or Amato's?

Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    ^^^
    Settebello kicks ass. Check out the "quatro stag...." Last time I was there it wasn't on the menu, but it was still in the computer.

Thin crust coal (or wood) burning place.
    If you like Settebello, try Vinto as well. I personally like it a bit better, and the atmosphere is pretty cool. Heard they're getting a Settebello in Boise which I'm excited about.

My favorite place is some hole in the wall in the upper east side near my buddy's apartment. 1 slice cheese, 1 slice pep. Done. I can never remember the name.

Drunk pizza is always a favorite as well. On that front a few of the "Jumbo Slice" places in Adam's Morgan in DC are far and away the best black out eats.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	122365Pulled Pork Pizza.
    Home made dough. Sweet Baby Ray's for sauce. Cheddar/Jack cheese. A heaping helping of the local pulled pork goodness. Add mushrooms, pineapple slices, black olives, jalepenas, mushrooms and red onion. I have a great picture of one, but I'm too stupid to upload it. Well, maybe not.

That sounds terrible.
    No offense.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Ho View Post

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	122365Pulled Pork Pizza.
    Home made dough. Sweet Baby Ray's for sauce. Cheddar/Jack cheese. A heaping helping of the local pulled pork goodness. Add mushrooms, pineapple slices, black olives, jalepenas, mushrooms and red onion. I have a great picture of one, but I'm too stupid to upload it. Well, maybe not.
    I've had that style pie, and I will say I was pleasantly surprised. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Guide View Post
    No love for Ricetta's or Amato's?
    Nope, not really. Been a while, though. I do have a soft spot for Pizza Joint; grew up on their extra-crust, extra-cheese, pepperoni pies, which are doughy, fatty heaven. Best day-after-from-the-fridge pizza, too because it doesn't dry out (thanks to the tons of dough and cheese).
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

My wood stove kills it. But 3 is the max for one set of coals from cherry wood. After three I have to place more wood and let the flames die.

Thin crust, few thin toppings, 5 minutes a pie = the best pizza in town. (Which isn't saying much- it's Japan.)

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Yep, crust is key. I have yet to find a good crust in CA.
    Delfina? Boot and Shoe? Una? Tony's? Flour + Water? Pizzeria Mozza? Nothing??
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

I'll have to look further. We haven't tried THAT hard, to be honest, but even Little Star was meh.

New york style, I grew up down the road from Alfredo's in Westbury and it was hard to beat. I'd probably pass 4 or 5 pizza places in two miles but We'd always go there.
    http://www.kpsearch.com/df/alfredosp...sp?action=menu

Name:	DSCN0831-350.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	122406

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Thin, coal-fired oven, real mozzarella (pepperoni when I ate meat), occasionally mushrooms.

i'll fork and knife the first bites when it's really warm and I can't keep the cheese on the end when picking it up, but after that it's hand held.

Living in New Haven has been great for pizza eating.

Six years in New Haven... Modern/Pepe's/Sally's...I've never found pizza that I've enjoyed more. Every Friday night... drunk and ravenous at Modern (too hungry to wait at Pepe's and too long a walk).
    "Go Balls Deep!"

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    As long as it doesn't have meat, I'm happy.

Too damn easy. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.
    For fuck's sake, I hope you choke on a mushroom - just get over yourself already. My wife's been veggie to >30 years, but she doesn't need to be a douche ALL the time

Quote Originally Posted by Stymie View Post
    Six years in New Haven... Modern/Pepe's/Sally's...I've never found pizza that I've enjoyed more. Every Friday night... drunk and ravenous at Modern (too hungry to wait at Pepe's and too long a walk).
    This is correct. Those three form the triumverate, with (of course), the white clam and bacon (extra garlic) being the ultimate, but my taste goes to a half pepperoni / onion, and half bacon (fu DBS). Everything is right with the world.

There's also a place in Waste Haven (forget the name) that's superb.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Like I said fish in a barrel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using TGR Forums

Hugh Conway Guest
    mmm anchovies.

Some more delicious pizza stoke:

Except, what are those orange-colored slices? Carrots???? I love carrots, but no carrots on pizza...PLEASE.

Or is it salmon?...ditto for fish. I love salmon, but please, no fish on pizza, including salmon. I don't even like anchovies on my pies.

And GAHHH, WHAT is that in the lower center, resting on that sliced roma tomato...is that part of a sardine??????? A herring bit???

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

No Anchovies Please

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Some more delicious pizza stoke:

Except, what are those orange-colored slices? Carrots???? I love carrots, but no carrots on pizza...PLEASE.

Or is it salmon?...ditto for fish. I love salmon, but please, no fish on pizza, including salmon. I don't even like anchovies on my pies.

And GAHHH, WHAT is that in the lower center, resting on that sliced roma tomato...is that part of a sardine??????? A herring bit???

--
    Orange Peppers you maroon.

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    New york style, I grew up down the road from Alfredo's in Westbury and it was hard to beat. I'd probably pass 4 or 5 pizza places in two miles but We'd always go there.
    http://www.kpsearch.com/df/alfredosp...sp?action=menu

Name:	DSCN0831-350.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	122406
    Haha, grew up in Wastebury, remember going to that place a few times, though their were several places closer to me that I'd go to way more often. Growing up on LI I took pizza for granted, didn't realize how bad some places have it.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

mmmmm, anchovies

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post
    I went highbrow with the wine
    If anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any fucking Merlot!

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    No Anchovies Please
    oh man....I haven't heard that in like 30 years.Crazy.

Geils band just for the hell of it:

Such a great band.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Haha, grew up in Wastebury, remember going to that place a few times, though their were several places closer to me that I'd go to way more often. Growing up on LI I took pizza for granted, didn't realize how bad some places have it.
    I don't think there were many (any) bad pizza places around Westbury before the days of Pizza Hut or Dominos, even the cheap places were good. I didn't think it was possible to screw up a pizza until I moved to the west coast.

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    Like I said fish in a barrel.

It's not "fish in a barrel" if you were going to say it anyways. It's called being obnoxious. Fish in a barrel would be saying something you weren't going to say with the sole reason to get a reaction. I have no doubt you will keep making this remark in every thread about food only because you want to show us all how vegetarian you are, not so we can keep calling you a dumbshit. And if you are doing it so we can call you a dumbshit, well dude, you need some therapy.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    It's not "fish in a barrel" if you were going to say it anyways. It's called being obnoxious. Fish in a barrel would be saying something you weren't going to say with the sole reason to get a reaction. I have no doubt you will keep making this remark in every thread about food only because you want to show us all how vegetarian you are, not so we can keep calling you a dumbshit. And if you are doing it so we can call you a dumbshit, well dude, you need some therapy.
    The only reason I said it was for reaction which I obviously got dipshit.