Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    probably. dont know where he tried to descend, my interp puts him pretty far north, as if he skied from the backside of the tram or cardiac ridge (Cody Shoulder) but i could be completely wrong. sounds like he was lucky and just good enough. Radio said he fell in the creek so was slogging with wet feet. glad they found him.

Mit is offline Con-Coccyxial Concussed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Roo

Roo hates the Dallas Cowboys.
    You just launched me into a 3 min uncontrollable coughing fit..glad to see the stickers were useful. .

Thanks for the TR with any luck I'll get some pics up..but I'm glad that gin has a bunch of them on his computer..

Quote Originally Posted by basom
    man you made denis look cool in that photo.
    And that's no easy feat (as evidenced by all previous internet photos). No doubt, roo nailed that shot. Though I do take issue with his description of the events: it's not so much that I miscalculated the landing, it's more that I was so focused on not getting that stick up my woo-hoo that my sense of relief after clearing it temporarily effected my stomping abilities. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Sick and ashamed and happy (and always willing to ride bronco),
    d.

Gin had his eyes open on our way back to SLC and we had to take a picture for you Roo (I think this was in Idaho Falls). To be honest I have don't know how kellie missed all the signs for free beef before she paid for her tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by Mit
    Gin had his eyes open on our way back to SLC and we had to take a picture for you Roo (I think this was in Idaho Falls). To be honest I have don't know how kellie missed all the signs for free beef before she paid for her tyres.
    I dunno... I didn't notice the signs on the way out. I even stopped at a Les Schwabs in Lovelock, Nevada to get my tires rotated and balanced, and didn't notice the signs. (They were closed, so I had to go elsewhere). However, I certainly noticed them on my drive back home.

Mit - it was great to have met you (and your wife - er, I mean girlfriend - sorry about that). I had loads of fun skiing with y'all Wednesday, being a typical tourist on Saturday, and generally hanging out at your condo. If ever you get out towards Tahoe, you'd better get a hold of me!
    Fighting foot fungus one public bath house at a time!

My site

Talking

Ha! Last time we were in Jackson, Brownmonkey drove 90 miles to Idaho Falls expecting something like this

but instead got

Disappointed he was.

Quote Originally Posted by bad_roo

Disappointed he was.
    my steeze you steal.
    Dance well your wife can.....

Monday February 7th

Cody Peak - first thing in the morning

Top of Corbet's - "We came, we saw, we soiled ourselves"

Looking up Corbet's

Zoom in on guy standing on top of Corbet's

CHEYENNE BOWL/BERNIE'S BOWL

Mrs. Roo testing out the chute for the rest of us.

Lia - Not quite smiling yet but up for the challenge of her first ever chute

Gin - Smooth as always

Bad Roo finally getting some powder

TENSLEEP BOWL

Gin hiding in his own smoke

Mrs. Roo kicking up some pow

Another first for Lia - wide open bowl, powder and no underbrush/trees- The perma grin starts.

Lia loving the powder - It ain't like this in the East

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda
    my steeze you steal.
    Dance well your wife can.....
    Ah, ha! That narrows it down.
    Monty Python's version of the cougar phenomenon:
    "This is a frightened city. Over these houses, over these streets hangs a pall of fear. Fear of a new kind of violence which is terrorizing the city. Yes, gangs of old ladies attacking defenseless, fit young men".

Nice pics, Mit. For some reason Corbett's doesn't look so scary in that shot...must be the lack of cold wind and icy scraping sounds...

Sick and ashamed and happy (and was supposed to post some video today, but fucked up the tunes on part II),
    d.

Hello Mr. & Mrs. Roo,

Good to see you got some good in JH.
    Great TR again.

Until the next Euro Summit, Al.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

i'm going to glom on here and add my leetle TR to this sweet thread.

mildbill, Mrs. Bill, and myself, departed logan int'l on friday the 4th. the plan was not to plan, and try and ski where the snow was. we hoped beyond hope that we would find it at jackson. but the trip started in utah, and thats where we got some first, and last.

arriving in Salt Lake we wrastled our insane amount of gear into the rental subie. we had too much gear. After a super nice dinner with Woodsy, Raddam, and Jane we headed to casa de Stump for some of the finest hospitality in the great residential zone that is Sandy.

Stump is the man, the generous man, the funny man, basicly the man.

we skied old snow for two days, and put off our departure for the summit due to impending gurge. The 1st pulse came in strong and almost knocked us out of the collins line up on monday. 18" new and we got it all day. we continued to ravage LCC on tuesday with the masses and before too long we were saying goodbye to Stump and making arangements to return the next weekend as another storm was forcasted for the wasatch.

Only Showers were forcasted for Jackson, but those who are familier with the tetons know what a blessing a few inches can be for the backcountry. So we loaded up again, and drove north. we made sure to not "act all gay" when stopping in Wyoming. unfortunately we didn't get a beef box, which i now obviously regret.

Up early on Wednesday, i'm trying to motivate mildbill and Mrs. bill, i must be the most anoying morning person of all time. five inches over night didn't sound like a lot. but bill had a glimer in his eye, and i think he knew deep down this was going to be more than fun. I rally them to get to the tram by nine, i gotta meet gin and the roos. mildbill and Mrs. bill had to get her some skis as she fully destroyed her Pocket Rockets at Alta the day before, so i rode up with a bin full of smiling maggots.

skied one run in the resort. rendezvous bowl skied pretty well up top but the chunder ice bumps underneath soon took thier toll. i know a lot of mags scored some goods in bounds, but as i looked out at cody glistening in the morning sun, i knew where i was going to spend the day.

I bolted down to meet mildbill and Mrs. bill. Gave em a quick report of what i found in bounds and we headed up and out.

by the time we were hiking up pucker to no shadow it was obvious that it was a big day out there. People seemed pretty amazed at the number of people sessioning each zone.

we are stupid and excited and didn't shoot any pictures on cody. but it was deep. a good warm up before more hiking and traversing. getting back to no name, which the first tracks were being laid upon as we crested powder 8's, is not exactly fast. By the time we made it to the top of the face it had been skied about twenty times.

it didn't matter.

i love no name. so much.

the five inches there was above the kness for my 6'4" frame, and the turns were over the shoulder. Best run of the trip for me.

me skiing first.

Mrs. bill (you can sort of see her helmet in there somewhere)

i filmed bills line from the bottom. here are some grabs from the vid.

we finished up by sessioning some of mildbills favorite shots in pinedale. it was really, really good in pindale. the whole day was boner city.

Thursday we planned to go to Granite, and hit some long shots. the vertical in there is un real. We hooked up with a large crew of maggots on the tram. Karl Stall was amped up to hit granite too, and had Dougw, SkiGuide, and Skibear in tow. we also hooked up wth Comish and this non-mag Katie who happened to be a friend of yossarians from Bend. We were planning to hit the ABC's but ended up standing on top of mile long and endless. making the call to split up for safety sake we watched Karl, Doug, Ski Guide and Skibear drop in to mile long, and we moved over to endless.

no name and endless vid.
    skiers are mildbill, diskoskeegrl (formaly mrs. bill until she ripped me a new one in this thread), and comish. its a kinda beefy file at around 24mb.

the snow in Granite was variable, but it was super good on the top. The raincrust was prevelent underneath, and there was some frozen avie debris hiding down there. It still blew me away.

katie decending

Mrs. bill on the lower section

The traverse out kicked our collective asses, but as soon as we were back at the tram i forgot about how bad the traverse is and was stoked to go back and ski airforce. Hooked up with Sherpastyle and lost mildbill and Mrs.bill. We ended up skiing the same line in airforce, but bill and mrs.bill were one bin behind Sherpastyle, dougw, comish, and myself.

i got no pics of the run, but bill shot some of Mrs. bill in airforce 1.

Mrs. bill

with another good day our smiles just continued to grow.

we partied with the maggots thursday night at the moose, but we some how missd the sweet event prior. and rocky really let me have it. then he gave me a hug.

Friday night was calling for snow in the wasatch, so we decided to go south again. we stoped at the pass for some turns on the way out of town.
    its was a super fun way to finish up our short time in jackson.

me on teton pass

Mrs. Bill through the trees

the perfect post tour snack!

and the perfect post tour nap. on the road to SLC

another alta storm day on saturday. i got some head cam footage that i'm putting together, mostly from sunday in the blue. i'll add it as soon as i finish it.

Mrs. bill skis the gurge

our gracious host, Stump

Sunday was a perfect final day with blue skies and fast smooth snow. a great end to a great trip. I'll get the vids up soon, and as always i wish we had shot way more stills. but as everyone know sometimes when the skiing is good stopping is absolutely the last thing on your mind.

vid: alta head action. its big, but with more compression its harder to see due to the crappy head cam resolution.

it was great connecting with new maggots, and re connecting with old ones.

the whole damn week was boner city.
    Last edited by basom; 02-18-2005 at 06:22 AM.

Thumbs up

nice bas!

having you guys stay over was a blast. you're welcome back anytime. next time make you sure don't let me stay in SLC when you are heading to jackson.

Couple of pics from Thursday inbounds at Jackson with Gincognito:

This thread keeps getting better. Nice action on the bill, base, and jen show. Wish I could have hung around with you guys a bit more (the image of bill skiing those rocks at Alta will not soon leave my mind). Next year I vow to get myself somewhat bc compatible.

And, Vt, great skiing with you that Thursday. Also good to hook up with shmerham and keep pushing for one more run. My thighs were burning and even the alpine turns were hurting when all was said and done.

Sick and ashamed and happy (and were there maggots on the Thunder chair above us when I pulled a slo-mo somersault in the powder bumps?),
    d.

Thumbs up

nice job all.... Damn jealous that I wasn't there.

Hey Basom,

Sorry I didn't meet you and the Bills. I really wanted to see who's been squatting in my house in Lincoln. Thanks for leaving it so neat last time I was out there.

I hooked up with some local friends and was near the front of the Cody Peak pack on Wednesday (just far enough back so I didn't have to break trail), so I missed all the maggot groups out there. I ran into Truth in the afternoon, but he was cooked from all the puking and stuff.

Thursday I was just getting sick. I made it through Theo's talk, but the Moose afterwards was not an option. I'm finally feeling better this morning. Yesterday looked like a re-run of last Wednesday. I watched through a spotting scope while everyone teed off on Cody & No Name. Pretty pitiful.

Maybe we could ski Cat Rock next time I'm in Boston ...

Great Pics and TR Basom. Seeing all you guys heading out in the bc really motivated me to want to start my avy training asap.

Bad Roo in Bernie's Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit

Maybe we could ski Cat Rock next time I'm in Boston ...
    any time mang.

carefull what you ask for though, the place is deadly. like a cat.

Basom (and Bill) -

You guys certainly bring it! Great write-up and pics. I realy enjoyed hanging out with the board's "young turks" for a few days and wish that we could have made more turns together.

Good to hear that No Name was the highlight of the trip, as it was for me as well.

Sorry to give you so much shit for missing the "Cascade" event, but that's just testimony to the importance played by the traveling Bill and Ben show to provide the stoke.

Anyway - great to meet you. Next year we'll do some storm-chasin' together.

-Rock
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Stall

Anyway - great to meet you. Next year we'll do some storm-chasin' together.

-Rock
    you too Rocky.

and we will chase, oh we will chase.

(and i'm saving for next april, OH YEAH!)

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley
    Radio said he fell in the creek so was slogging with wet feet.
    don't call me radio, unit 91

the summit was a great time, good to meet everyone and make turns or be drunk with the few i was lucky enough to ski or drink with. can't wait til next time, for more turn making and drinking.

hmm...basom is saving for a trip in april with karl...i wonder what that could be...

Quote Originally Posted by mildbill.
    hmm...basom is saving for a trip in april with karl...i wonder what that could be...

wakeboarding in st. louis, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by basom
    wakeboarding in st. louis, obviously.
    i've got hella frontside indymagoo steeze on my dope wakeboard. i'm there.